ROMCO rules changes for 2004?

NickHolt

ROMCO draws the spectators, so they must be doing something right

CART used to draw crowds ten years ago. Now they................. :rolleyes:

Don't ever over estimate the fans willingness to stay home. With SPEED channel and TIVO, I can watch racing every night of the week. Who needs ROMCO? ;) No crowds in my livingroom, I always have the best seat in the house, the food is better, and no lines to use the very clean bathrooms, and a beer is what, $0.50. No annoying track announcers to listen to. :P

And you can fast forward through the boring parts.

<shrug>

Don't listen to the spectators. I dare you.

Bill "Sarge" Masom

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sarge,

The problem is people in general don't have an open mind. They fear change. Yeah I don't race. I do think my opinion counts though as I am the one paying the ticket and thus paying the drivers their purses. I recall a certain track owner making a big deal out of me being a spectator and how my opinions don't count. Guess its just ignorance.

Nick a question for you didn,t TIDA have a weight to cubic inch ratio i remember alot of 311's . The other thing i see is SLM is thriving in other places [Mobil and what about southern allstars]. Far as lighter cars to cut cost go find a sprint car team and ask them how cheap light is. Small cubic engines are not cheaper just smaller cubic inches. I have said it before here if you want to improve the car count pay more money.

Sarge:

If you get your racing fix by sitting in your living room alone, then so be it. Leave my fix alone. ROMCO is a great team. I also enjoy my local Late Model series. When I watch NASCAR or BUSCH in my living room, it is okay, but I truly enjoy live racing.

gasman ... Make that same engine and tire offer to the TSRS guys, the SAS LM guys, the THR LM guys and gals or the Houston LM people and see what happens... LOL

Your post implies that those who do not actually race in ROMCO should pay their $20, sit on the bleachers and shut up. IMHO fans, ROMCO wannabees and others should be encouraged to speak up and make their opinions known. Certainly, the suggestions of those who actually do race in the ROMCO series should be given more weight than those suggestions made by us outsiders, but degrading or ridiculing suggestion made by others is counter productive IMHO.

supertex... Yes, TIDA used a weight to CID rule that worked quite well as I recall. There was a wide variety of engines running in those days. Each held their own and no one engine type dominated the series. Some were more expensive than others, but nobody seemed to mind that the guy racing next to you didn't spend as much on his engine.

Nick Holt

So let me get this straight. I have no clue because I am 18 and do not race. Some of us have more important things to worry about like college. And the reason I go is so I will be able to afford to race in one of the upper levels in Texas later on in life. I will let people know what my opinions are whether they like it or not. I understand you own a ROMCO team and they did awesome this year. So what is wrong with trying to even the page a little. Cutting costs a little I don't think would hurt to much. But then I have no clue because of the two reasons I listed.

Jason:

You are entitled to your opinion as well as others on the website. You seem to want to change rules or suggest changes to a racing series that worked well last year. I don't think I have trashed any of you opinions, just voiced mine on a website designed to allow us to do so. CC Speedway was one of my least favorite tracks to attend, but I did it for the enjoyment of live racing. I could ask what CC Speedway could do about their fans in the stands, but it is not my place to suggest rule changes to something where I am a spectator, fan and follower. My daughter saw things that would make your toenails curl in Corpus. If my family didn't have such a great sense of humor, I would have been very offended by what goes on there. Go to college and learn all the things you desire and get back to us when you are done.

rona...

You are entitled to your opinion as well as others on the website.

Couldn't have said it any better myself.. lol

Go to college and learn all the things you desire and get back to us when you are done.

I have a feeling that Jason will be "get back to us" before his college days are over since he is the Texas Speed Zone owner and adminstrator.

Nick Holt

Just like many people that have found a new and exciting place to spend their time, energy and money. Gasman has the right to try and protect his investment from those that might show that his money was not well spent long term. If Neil, Nick or anyone could go back in history and rewrite a set of rules we might have had a more economically friendly super late model seriesand the series might even be called TIDA. Not that Terry or Robert have not or are not trying to do so.

The Legend mentioned that we were isolated, but yet said that people would travel to another state to race for more money than ROMCO. So basically what is being and has been stated before is that the ROMCO can not compete with other series with the same rules. DON'T!!!. Protect your series by not making your rules just like the other series, I don't see ROMCO drawing drivers consistently from other series several states away, but yet they are drawing ROMCO to theirs. It should not hurt the car count so bad when a few teams don't make it, just like any other pro sport build your series to have depth of your field. ROMCO needs to stop it by coming up with a set of rules that will draw internally from its only isolated part of the country and the economics within that region and have enough differences built in so they don't lose car count. As for what a superlatemodel means, the bragging rights to call a series that is just that braggging, and that and a box of #$%&! will get you what. Respect? From whom, to whom does it matter. Other series, so what. It is the Fans that count. Have you ever thought that is why ASA or Hooters make their rules so different they don't have to worry about losing car count to other series. It has to start somewhere.

Technically the racers and the circle internally around the racers will feel that they are not on equal ground with the other series, but hell I bet if you ask most of the fans and the people outside the technical community they could not tell you what the engine is inside one of those cars, heck most of them don't time them. Just tell them that it is a super latemodel, make them look the same, sound close to the same, run within .25 sec of their normal times and put on a good show and they would not know the difference. As for the previous years car count, look at it everyone that shows up usually runs. That's OK for the guys that show up but is it really an indicator of the depth of talent of our area. Ask yourself why the Snowball, Snowflake the Patriot 300 are such a good show, it is because they don't just take everyone that shows up. It is the best of the best ,buy all of the qualifying procedures and only the best teams make it and intern put on the best show. It works the same for the regional series if you open the door to more teams then the racing will be even better because you are getting a better sampling of the regions talent base, unbiased by the financial resources. Who cares what the definition of a Super Latemodel is as long as the cars are fast and the show is a happening.

I agree with most of what you are saying, but many teams travel not to chase money, but to race against better talent to raise there own talent level. You are only as good as the cars around you. Next season we plan to travel more along with running ROMCO. Each year our team raises it's goals. In 2004 we are shooting for three wins again in ROMCO and a top five in a big Southern Allstar show. This is the way we have always done it. If we want to isolate ourselves we eliminate this option. You would eliminate the possibilty of drivers from here traveling and proving that we can run with the rest of the race world. We don't recieve any respect outside of Texas and we won't until cars from Texas do what Casey did at the Snowball on a consistant basis.

I'm a sophomore in High School.. :P ..Hooray for me!!! I attended all but one ROMCO race this year. And i know that as a fan i would notice a change in the speeds of the ROMCO cars. I also watch the local late model series, and i am able to see a difference in the speeds of the cars as well as the drivers.

THERE IS A SERIES EVERYONE CAN AFFORD, STAY IN THE SERIES YOU CAN AFFORD!! There are already cars getting lapped at the begining of the race. And it is the lap cars who cause majority of the wrecks.

I think some people are offended by the relation of money= talent I personaly feel that beeing able to con people out of $$$ is not talent .the ROMCO guys have it better than the local guys because of the area of the state they cover,but if gasman wants to loan a engine and buy some tires. I need a sponsor.This is from a guy that runs a set of tires for 2 weeks in a rowand has a stock clip home built car with big springs and a 5 yr old engine does this make me talentless?

Recerjim, I does not make you talentless. A few years back, I heard Jeff Gordon in a interview. The interviewer asked if he considered himself one of the best drivers in the country. He answered by saying 'The best driver is probably out there running street stock on saturday nights and just has not had the right breaks. This is very true.

Which is the greater goal or attempt for the romco series or can you have both?

Make the series more competitive so that other SLM racers from other states will race with it. If so what has anyone done to do both.

OR

Make the racers better so that they can compete with other SLM series out side the region.

Only time I remember an outsider comming to race ROMCO was two times, both at TMS - Gary Helton from Tenn in 2002, Joey Miller from Wis in 2003.

Doesn't most Romco races pay more to win than most of the Southern All Star races?

I'm sure that some of this will get me roasted and toasted by some of the Experts on this forum but Just though that I would ask.

Bandit, you're right about the talent.

I don't think anyone wants to see slower SLM's. What I get from what most people have posted on this thread is that one camp thinks change will make ROMCO less prestigeous because of slower or less competitive cars and the other camp wants to run cheaper to attract more drivers. You can have both. Nick actually gave 2 ways in 2 of his posts;

1. Weight rule: or a low cost motor rule that would allow a car running that motor a weight break to be competitive. This motor would have to be "out of the box", stock stroke and bore, unmolested components. Maybe even wet sump.

2. Tire rule: As soon as a tire rule was mentioned everyone took off on SAS's rule of 1 tire/race. Who said it had to be that exact rule? How about 4 or 6 tires/race and you have to race on the tires you qualify on. That would be a cost savings over 2 or 3 sets/race.

The car rule would stay the same so if someone wanted to run FL or AL they can borrow a motor, add weight and go. Those running Concept or 9:1 are unaffected.

As I think Jason said "think out of the box". I don't want to see ROMCO any less prestigeous nor do I think it's broke, but I do think it can be made better. We intend to run a limited number of races in ROMCO in '04 no matter what the rules are, but the number is totally dependent on $$$$. If we get good sponsors and good winnings or lower cost/race or all 3, we race more! It's a simple formula.

Hray,

Your formula is the same as 100% of the people. Good winnings=good sponsors=more races. The tire rule in ROMCO is that you have to start on qualifying tires and 4 tires are all that you need for the race. It does not matter if it a rule or not, that is all that you need. As far as the crate engine, if that is what you are looking for, you can go to HMS and they have that already.

Archived