whats new?

thumper

Its so quiet on this forum Im wondewring if CC is still opening on March 1? Usually this forum is buzzing this time of year but the only news I heard was the addition of a new ministock class.Thats great but who from last year is ready to rock and roll in 2 weeks?How many new teams are expected?Did everyone get rid of their computers or just dont want to talk anymore?Im too far away to get the local gossip so I rely on this forum for news.

I am curious about the officials like who are they,how many laps for a feature,are the lights fixed,will there be fuel at the track or byof,how are the lineups determened,will the pay be after the race or check in the mail,will there be time trials the first nite,is there an age limit on drivers at both ends,are there any promotional changes for the races,and lots of other things we always go over each year before the season begins.

Nick,before you tell me to call the track remember comunication between drivers,crews,tracks and fans is the main service provided by TxSZ.Its like a big going to coffee with your peers.Im not sure anyone wants to talk to me anyway.So you guys start talking and I will read all about it. Thumper

Thumper,

There has been a lot of work going on at the track. There has been several lights that have been replaced on the infield poles. Yesterday more of the lenses were to be cleaned but with the windy conditions that was not possible. Some of the announcement speakers in the pits were replaced/repaired/redirected. There are several new SS teams, and TT teams and even some Texas True Stocks. As far as the race procedures and number of laps, you can find that info on the websight. This is going to be an exciting 2008 season and I am looking forward to it. So I take it that your equipment didn't sell and you will be racing? That is great because I may be too. ;) Now it is up to OT to put his money where his mouth or fingers are.

Well its good to hear things are progressing in a positive manner.Just saw the end of Daytone and racing is alive and well.I know the asphalt fans have been slightly disappointed reciently with smaller car counts and the race teams saw a great disappointment in the shelma thing but racers are optomists afterall.So it all sounds good except for that pesky Neon comming back to pick up where he left off. :lol: He might find,like Thumper,the new teams as well as the current ones dont plan to just be in the race,they plan to win too.With the Super Streets on real tires now they have achieved the speeds they should have had before.No longer will a ministock time 3rd fastest overall.And the new truestock class should really make the cars affordable again.

As a whole,we at CC Speedway have a tremendous challange ahead.As a group our competetion is down the street with the dirt track.I believe Corpus is big enough for both tracks to succede and the competetion between the 2 will benifit the fans and racing in general.We must put our strongest points foreward and define the differences between the two tracks.We have seen how important fan involvement is with fans nite with bike races and push cart races being our biggest show last year.Maybe if both tracks have great success we can have a big race at both with all the cars from both as a series thing.Working together will be important.

Thumper did not sell so he will be racing hard to try to earn enough to keep comming back.Expenses are high as is the diesel for the truck nearing 100$ a trip so the purse is more than prize money,its next weeks trip money.I have been lucky enough to do that in recient years.Thumper has no sponser and a driver thats long past his prime so who knowns how long he can keep going.If Rick Flair can keep going,so will I.I am part of team gereatics but dont want to be left out.Especially now that its getting good.I dont have power steering or AC but I cant count to 100 anyway so I will not know when to get tired.I changed my fuel tank from 2 1/2 gals to 5 gals so I can do 100 laps.I hope it pays 5$ a lap.

Thank you Shawn for working so hard along with the new owner to rekindle the magic that is CC Speedway.Who knows,there might be another Labonte in todays midsts.Winter is really boaring.LETS GO RACING BOYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn do i see GB excited ? Well am ready too, Missed praticed so hope it isn't like last year but ready to give the front runners a run for their money. LET"S GO BOY'S, HOOLIGAN!!! And yes thank you mike and shawn for working hard on getting CC back up and running for all of us Asphalt drivers that have the race "BUG"

Hey,VW112,hows things in Big D?I didnt know they had an asphalt track other than Red River.I know you have about 7 dirt tracks in the aera.Were you thinking of running RR? How far is it from you?RR is similar to CC Speedway.If you get good there,come down here and give it a try.Beware we have a pesky Neon who has all the good things a VW has plus more power.

How bout posting a couple of photos of the dirt Rabbit.And Maybe also that VW truck of your friends.While your at it any photos of your familys open wheel winged outlaw VWs would be intresting.Your Dad still turned the fastest lap ever at Rio Grande Speedway with a 13 flat.I dont think the FWDs can do that.Im kind of stuck at low 16s.Hows that watercooled Dwarf car comming?We have Dwarfs around here.

Here are some pictures as requested.

KarenCowtown.jpg

Race Rabbit up to speed at Cowtown Speedway

petetruckfront.jpg

Petetruck.jpg

My friends truck. He is making adjustments to run Pro Sedans. He ran Pro Sedans, back when it was TIDA

joeminimod.jpg

My dad and mom, when they went to North Carolina and kicked tail. Probably not the exact same car we had when we came to Rio Grande Speedway, but very similar. Funny thing on the North Carolina race, the first weekend that he went there, he slung a flywheel off the 1st night and rained the 2nd night out until the next weekend. He came back to texas replaced the transmission, because the flywheel split it, and repaired the engine and went back the following weekend and won. This picture is about 25 years old.

boyscarts.jpg

Karts my boys run on Friday nights.

Hey,VW112,hows things in Big D?I didnt know they had an asphalt track other than Red River.I know you have about 7 dirt tracks in the aera.Were you thinking of running RR? How far is it from you?RR is similar to CC Speedway.If you get good there,come down here and give it a try.Beware we have a pesky Neon who has all the good things a VW has plus more power.

How bout posting a couple of photos of the dirt Rabbit.And Maybe also that VW truck of your friends.While your at it any photos of your familys open wheel winged outlaw VWs would be intresting.Your Dad still turned the fastest lap ever at Rio Grande Speedway with a 13 flat.I dont think the FWDs can do that.Im kind of stuck at low 16s.Hows that watercooled Dwarf car comming?We have Dwarfs around here.

Well things are going. Not sure that I will go to RR, never have tried asphalt. It's a few hours out from where I live. I remember when my dad came to Corpus and ran asphalt and he was dirt tracking the car through the turns what a night.

Yes we have a good bit of dirt tracks in the area. There is Cowtown and Kennedale that are right next door to each other. You can seat in the stands at Cowtown turn around and see the races at Kennedale. Yes, they both run on Saturday nights. Very True!!

Dwarf car is coming along. It's been a tough struggle getting it going. Hope to have it out the first part of the season.

I still remember the Rio Grande race, I went off the track in turns 1 and 2 during the 2nd half of the race. I broke a coil wire on the 1st half and that put me a lap down. That was a real fun time we had way back then.

Thanks for the photos Lyle,really cool cars.Does your wife Karen still the driver if the Rabbit?We have 3 femail drivers here.They are all good too.I guess your karts represent the 3rd generation of Graham drivers.

I wonder if Pepsiblue is reading this.I think it would be great if they posted a couple of photos of that VW late model that creamed the competetion at Gator 2 years straight.When I saw his engine I knew we were in trouble because his engine looked like your dads,with the dual 48s and all.

These photos are getting me pumped to race again soon.I would love to see anybodys photos added too.

Shawn,I got dizzy looking at your light picture.Dont fall off.Track looks great.Thumper wants to do drifting on Fridays.I told him he aint built right.I used to drift when I was a kid on the levies.It was gravel.Back then if you couldnt drive sideways at 100mph,you were not a driver.We didnt have a name for it.We had a County Highway Patrol man that would chase us sometimes and he almost always caught us eventually.He would kick our butts and call our parents.Good old small town stuff.Its much better to race at tracks.Safer too.

racevw112, that outlaw vw is really cool. This might sorta sound funny but seeing that car reminds me of what racing was like back in the 50s and 60s at the Indy 500. I have read about that era in racing when there were not alot of rules. read many a story about car builders building cars in all types of configurations to gain an edge. Front and rear engine, or side engine lol. turbins, front and rear wheel drive, all drive, various types of suspensions and so on. I think they called it the Glory Days. Its to bad things are not like that much anymore. but thats a cool car I would like to see more stuff like that.

HELL LOOKS LIKE A FOR FRONT END LOL . THAT THE GUY THAT RAN PRO SEDAN LAST YEAR . NICE PEOPLE

Yes, he sold his pro sedan car to someone in Seattle Washington.

GB, yes Karen is still my main driver. She enjoys driving and I make the car go fast. :D

It does bother some of the male drivers when she out runs them.

I will try and get some more old pictures of our mini-modifieds and post. They are down at my moms house.

Shawn,I hope you liked this photo of an air cooled VW.I know how much you like them.I call this the evolution of racing,what happens when a car is constantly improved.I think this was a Karman Ghia,it is a swing axle car.

Tell me,is this kind of car allowed in Thunders or Pro 4s at CC Speedway?I still have one but it looks more like the wedge dirt cars of the 80s,thats what I copied.How bout a run what you brung race sometime?

One of the trickest cars I can remember was a mini dirt wedge with a marine engine of some kind that laid completely on its side.It was RWD.I believe he was from Alabama.Talk about low center of gravity,that design would be killer at CC Speedway.The cyl head was right in front of the driver.

Will,like the old Indy days there have been many designs of minnies over the years.Some were super fast.Todays challange is to incorporate the moders car into an oval track racer.I see a lot of cars on the streets now that could be very fast oval cars without a complete makeover.The factories are doing the work for us.You have prooved this to be true.Someday the big stock cars will have to do this as well.The sport needs pioneers like you and your pesky Neon.And now theres 2.If I wasnt so old I would be building a 1995 240sx coupe.Or a 2.4 Eclipse.Or even a Neon.

Archived