pictures of two greats

The #87 cars are Bo Rawdon, who is promoter at Cowtown now. He built almost all his own stuff, with a unique rear shock arrangement, a cantilever style set up that allowed the shock to lay sideways.

The blue 72, at Devils bowl, is Eldon Dotson. I think he also ran red cars.

A 72 at Cowtown was usually James Pack.

The #1 Paul White is driving belonged to Joe Sturdivant of Waco. They had a dominating run in the 90's that culminated with Paul winning the NASCAR Sunbelt championship at HOT about 1995. He also won the Sunblet title in 89 at HOT in a 2 BBL late model.

Boy yall are hitting your marks with these pic's. The yellow #11 is Steve Wright cousin of the great Gary Wright pictured in the #85 Modified.

post-3842-1201150751_thumb.jpg

post-3842-1201150783_thumb.jpg

post-3842-1201150819_thumb.jpg

post-3842-1201150857_thumb.jpg

post-3842-1201150888_thumb.jpg

post-3842-1201150921_thumb.jpg

post-3842-1201150945_thumb.jpg

post-3842-1201150991_thumb.jpg

post-3842-1201151039_thumb.jpg

post-3842-1201151074_thumb.jpg

post-3842-1201151107_thumb.jpg

post-3842-1201151140_thumb.jpg

I need help with the last one. The black #2 came to Waco for the 1st Texas State Modified Championship race ran in Sept.73 All these pics are from HOT 1973 with the exception of "the Pack Rat" Modified red #72.

That is James Pack.

Oh, just one more thing! The Bodie Lanier #15 was at the Bowl. Also the Paul NASCAR Truck Pic wasn't from HOT 73.

post-3842-1201151780_thumb.jpg

Hey Guy`s!

I`m new here and I can help with some names here.

Bo Rawdon turn 4 at Cowtown

post-3842-1201049347.jpg

#72 is Eldon Dotson....this one is turn 1 at Devil`s Bowl

post-3842-1201049491.jpg

turn 4 at Buffalo Park in `85...#11 Steve Wright,#72 Eldon Dotson

post-3842-1201049636.jpg

Eldon #72,Charlie Lucas #24..Buffalo Park

post-3842-1201049673.jpg

Gary Wright #85 , Eldon Dotson #21....turns 1&2 Devil`s Bowl

post-3842-1201049698.jpg

the yellow #47 Bill Day Tire car is Doug Ingalls

:)

Keith Green at Golden Triangle Speedway

post-3842-1201049824.jpg

I got a ton of pictures new and old.

If I get time I`ll post some.

Waco Racer, where have you been. I found this site when my best friend Greg Wade call me about the History section and the ever popular thread "Modified and Super Modified Pics Wanted". The rest rest is History (no pun intended). I have been a history forum addict ever since, that was April 07.

Rudy, There is no doubt there is a God who will intervenes into our lives. I have been trying to e-mail you and invite you to this forum. Despite my failed attempts to reach you, you have seen the light on your on. Thanks be to God! You have arrived!

The second group of pics that I have posted begin with the Paul White NASCAR poster card front and back. then the pic of Bodie standing next to his Super @ the Bowl. The rest of the pic's are all from HOT in 1973.

The #43 was a 261 C.I.D. straight six built by the late great Mr. Jack Bagby. The car was driver by a total unknown named Gordon Woolley. Gordon was runner-up in Modified points that year. The Gold Coupe was #34 Owned by the Roming Bros. and was driven by another unknown, Bill White. He is the man in the blue T-shirt riding on the car to the center pits. Unlike the Bagby six cylinder this puppy was NOT competitive at all.

The Carvair Bodied #0 was David Granger, nicked named the "rolling donut". The yellow #71 was the best driver with the least reputation that is Jr. Ingram. Next is the red, white and blue #1. I think I will save my comments about this car, the driver, the date and the race that this was taken, for the end of this post. I have this problem, that is I cannot just list the cars and drivers without a flood of memories and emotion. Many times I have began a reply that turns into a novel, and before it is complete i hit the wrong key and poof! IT IS GONE! I know I am sounding like something off Hee Haw! But I speak only the truth. Next is the Orange # 8 (poor quality pic) Joe Studivant the 73 Modified Champion. The red #42 is Robert Pryor driving for his Father-in-Law J.T. (pappy) Carpenter. The last pic is the only unknown in my collection. He was at HOT for the 1st State Modified Championship race on Sept. 9th 1973. I took his pic but have no idea who he is, any help with this one?

Now Sept. 9th 1973 and the first Texas State Modified Championship Race. This was very similar to The Texas IMCA nationals, where 8-12 tracks combine their resource's to handle the big car count and prize money. The reason Gordon and anyone driving a straight axle frame had to use a six cylinder was to end the promoters nightmare of one guy winning almost every A-Main for 3 years in a row. This is were the red, white and blue #1 story comes in. The pic above was taken that night 9/9/73, and is possibly the last pic ever taken of the original Joe Smith built, Bill White driven, most dominant dirt modified car ever! (JMO) With 3 straight HOT Championships 70-72 and total, and I mean total dormants winning 17 of 22 A-MAINS in 72. The car built in mid-season 1969 and Finnish 3rd in Modified points at the Old Waco Speedway only running about the last 3rd of the season. The 289 C.I.D. Ford with a 8:42 final gear. Would blow all the competition away. Therefore the six cylinder rule put an end to that nightmare, and it set in the shop all of the 73 season. Notice the posted Waco Trib. article about the big show says open competition. The only rule was a wheel base minimum of 114". An attempt to keep the car out of this show as well, knowing all the little coupes were 112" but Joe just added a 2" splice in the frame.

Most folks talk about Bill White being hard on equipment in his early years and why not! Are you going to his pit afterwards? I would love to hear your story, if anyone out was crazy enough to do that, your hall of fame material in my book. Bill was very easy on equipment by the time he landed this sweet ride. With all the A-Mains and track championships with this car he had never gave it all until 9/9/73. Victory would not be his this night. After being spun out while leading by a lap car. Then starting on the back, Bill came through the pack in about 3 or 4 laps to retake the lead and was lapping the 3rd place car when that driver took a shot at him and cut down the left rear tire with just a few laps to go Joe Studivant inherit the led and wins the 1st State Championship. Bill had proven that no Modified in this state could even run with this car!!! So I am a little bias in my opinions about Bill White or Joe Smith. I think you might be this way as well, if you had witnessed the greatest driving clinic every!!! There I go again using words like "the greatest" does anyone have a cure for this? I haven't found one and I am now entering my 38 year of racing or been a fan of all fanatics. There is just some thing about going wide open and turning right to go left that turns me on! Can I get a witness?

I must totally agree with you about "Mr. Bill". I watched him put on several "Driving Clinics" at Houston tracks. I had the good fortune of racing with Bill at Oak Hill up near Austin. What a Blast. Thanks for the pics.

thanks for all the pictures & imformation on all the cars. learned bodie lanier drove super mods. thought he only drove winged cars. last race i saw him drive was la. state mod. championship in 1979. saw eldon win at thurderbird speedway. it was a 75 lapper with a break at hafe way for fuel. promoter added more money if he wood start in rear & win. he took him up on it. was leading by lap 8 of the final half. all of the drivers were tough back then.

Thats the one, I always liked that car.

looks like someone wood have a picture of the 98 car. him & 99 were always together, pitted side by side. in 1979 la. state mod. race at boothill both blowed motors in heat races. next moring changing motors under trees at truckstop up the road from race track. one had to send a man back to dallas for a motor. the other had motor with him, all for nothing as green flag flew a big pillup in turn 1 took out the 98, 99, & keth green,& several others. this was year that eldon`s car was sold to someone from houston & he ran off with a-main, 100 lapper. this was the red car. back in the good old days.

Archived