TPS cars - Anyone got pics?

NickHolt

Anthony Jetter turned a 1:21.695 in that #99 SAAB 900 on September 21, 1991 on the TWS 1.9 road course. The tire rule then was DOT, not exceeding 8" tread width.

btw: Anthony's record time would have qualified him for the Texas Race of Champions LM race !

Who was the misinformed man who called them Texas "SLOW" Sedans?

Neil Upchurch

Former Race Director

Texas Race of Champions

Texas World Speedway

Here is a couple the the driver would probably soon forget.

It is HWY 16, and probably one of the late 70/early 80s races promoted By Neil Upchurch. Neil can elaborate on this incident.

From the Hayden Collection

post-21-1200448612_thumb.jpg

post-21-1200448622_thumb.jpg

Tom: I am only guessing, but that crashed #78 on the back straight at SAS (aka Highway 16 Raceway)might have been Mike Knotts in his VW Sedan which preceded the #78 tube framed VW he bought from Mike Boer and Austin Vee Dub which is still running in TPS.

Mike: Can you confirm or deny this post?

Neil Upchurch

Race & Administrative Director

Texas Pro Sedans

How about that unique, ground effects, turbo-aerodynamic device located under the right front headlight........do ya think maybe that pulled too much aero coming off turn 2? lol!

The embossing probably disrupted the air flow boundary layer......, dirtied up the profile of an otherwise slippery vehicle :D

number 5 and 14 are scott and john ... the 14 was the first car that ever hit me in racen at cc ..he ran me into the wall and up and over on my top i went .. he didnt like a rookie leading the race with 4 laps to go ..i got him back later that year ..1989 ...the 14 is still around as for as i know and is still for sale ...good fast car ..then and i think it can still win today ... i notice the late dale .known as fat man in the 11 car ...

No, the crashed 78 at SAS was not my car. I would guess it was one of Mike Boer of Austin car built to race in Mexico.Most cars that raced down there had American flag on both sides. Most of the U.S. cars that raced down there had #s in the 70's (Pelton-72 Upchurch-76 Hamilton-79 etc. ) The crash might have happened in the 200 lap race at SAS.

The TWS pictures bring back a lot of good memories. There were a lot of SCCA cars that would only show up at our TWS race.

31 bug was Ron Decker of Austin. Pole sitter was Joe Osborne, San Antonio

• 2 years later...

There was always a lot of cars turning out for the TWS race. Dad loved racing there and so did all of us. The Pro Sedans were my kids first introduction to racing.

It's a shame we won't get to see the Pro Sedans at THR anymore.

It would seem with the revenue generated from these drivers and their crews, through the back gate, might help offset some of the high cost of the tracks' lease.

Good luck to the TPS teams at CC & Red River.

Mel

Archived