Tires on the Modifieds

storm'71

I'm certainly not a novice to dirt track racing, but I am when it comes to the technical aspects of the sport. The 4/10 mile track at TMS really brought out the tremendous horsepower of the IMCA mods...more than I've noticed on the local 1/4 mile tracks. Question: are the tires on the mods equal to the horsepower of the engine? They seem awfully small...bigger tire would seem to allow a faster lap time. I know the sanctioning bodies (USA, UMP, IMCA, etc.) all claim to want to keep costs reasonable...maybe that's the reason for the smaller tire. I could also just be an idiot. Any insight would be appreciated (tires...not my mental capacity).

...just a fan.

Got I-Stock?

I agree eric, I believe they use the tire size they use for cost reasons and so you don't need a large motor to run in the modifieds. a bigger tire would use more rubber and hence more cost. i would love a larger tire but larger tire would put more wear on all componets on the car. Its is harder to turn a larger tire so the harder it is to turn more parts that break and the more cost to the racers. I do wish they were cheaper than 88 dollars but everyone does.

I am not crazy about the IMCA mods. And I think the tire is part of the problem I have with them. However, I can count and there is no doubt in my mind that the IMCA modifieds and other IMCA classes have put lots of cars on the tracks that would not be there otherwise. That tire rule is probably one of the biggest reasons for that.

I went to the Topless 100 qualifiers last night at Cowtown and those races were awesome. Some of the best I've ever seen. The tire rule was the same but they sure seemed hooked up in both the modifieds and the sport modifieds.

I have a friend that is extremely knowledgeble about racing. He grew up in a racing family, has raced for years himself and has had several articles published in racing media. Like me he is not particularly a fan of the IMCA mods. However, he contends that the best way to keep costs down and car counts up is to not worry about engine restrictions, but to concentrate on the tires. I think he is probably right.

lucky , come to ksp friday and sat. should be a ton of cars and some good racing,stop by and say hey.

Well my decision was going to be based on whether to go to Ennis for the pro mods or Ardmore for the Sprint Series of Texas. Now I have to add in another possibility. :)

Pro mods, I've never seen in person but love them on TV and I've got free tickets.

SST, my new favorite racing series, last race of the year.

And now KSP much closer.

ARTICLE 11: TIRES & WHEELS

11.1 Wheels:

11.1.1 Must be fifteen (15) inches in diameter and eight (8) inches in width.

11.1.2 Stickers are not required.

11.1.3 Must be reinforced steel only.

11.2 Tires:

11.2.1 American Racer G60 or KK-704 (stamped or non-stamped) tires are allowed. All non-stamped tires must be asphalt (no dirt). Some events may allow an alternative tire. Check your entry form or call (515) 832-7944 to verify.

11.2.2 Softening is not allowed. Any driver caught softening tires shall be fined, suspended and shall receive no points money. Refer to Rule 2.16.4 for clarification.

11.2.3 Grooving and siping is allowed.

11.2.4 Recaps are not allowed.

this from the usmts website, they are an outlaw mod and have to run the same tire imca does. most outlaw tracks around run the g-60 tire exept ump. its not the tire, get it hooked up and you wont have a problem!! also as for texas motor speedway and big motors..... i ran a 6" 383 and ran 5th, i just didn't have the set up for the end of the race like i needed. you can have all the motor you want, you just have to have the setup to put it to the ground.

Archived