1982 Ford Mustang

blueoval

I bought a 1982 Ford Mustang at a very cheap price to turn and sell for a little more money.

Here is my problem,

the car has been sitting up for two years, the last guy who had it didnt know anything about cars, put a battery in it (backwards) set the ground and positive on fire and left it alone.

I bought it put a new battery in it and all I got was a click of the solenoid. I replaced the starter and now the starter is winding up but not engaging. I had the new starter tested and it was engaging just fine. Any ideas? It is a straight six>

I bought a 1982 Ford Mustang at a very cheap price to turn and sell for a little more money.

Here is my problem,

the car has been sitting up for two years, the last guy who had it didnt know anything about cars, put a battery in it (backwards) set the ground and positive on fire and left it alone.

I bought it put a new battery in it and all I got was a click of the solenoid. I replaced the starter and now the starter is winding up but not engaging. I had the new starter tested and it was engaging just fine. Any ideas? It is a straight six>

make sure you have a good ground . both from the block to the motor and block to frame ...is this auto or standard ...make sure the flywheel or flex plate is good .... turn the motor by hand and try the starter ... ive never heard of a straight six in a 82 mustang ..... 2.3 four comes in them ..

It is the 3.3 L , it barely fits in the engine compartment.

Engine is grounded well and the engine turns well by hand. Still no luck

Again the starter is spinning hard , it just isnt engaging. It did engage at the auto parts store over and over.

is it automatic or standard ..maybe the wrong one ..this isnt easy when you cant see it for yourself ..if its auto the flex plate maybe broken ..i have seen that and it sounds perfect no odd noise ..worth a look ..spin the flex plate by hand ..motor dont spin ofcourse you will know what the problem is ..

Bring it to Corpus and Let Oldtimer fix it he is one of the best around as far as mechanics :lol: .

ok tim .he has a problem do you have something to add ..i bet he wants to hear it from you ..one thing im sure of. i have forgoten more than you will ever learn ..lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived