TSRS at OktoberFast

NickHolt

I missed this race as I was busy getting the Pro Sedans ready for their feature, but I know that Brad Hudak won and Jamie Fuller came in second in the 75-lap TSRS feature.

We need some race reports here!

Nick Holt

Hey Chuck

Did they tell you how the TRACK PROMOTOR cut the TSRS race where he could run a [word deleted by Nick Holt, 10/19/03] bicycle race. I drive over a hundred miles one way spend my hard earned money to go support and watch auto racing not a bunch of bicycles if i wanted to watch bicycles i can go out in the street and watch the kids. Then after the race he would not open the back gate where we could get out while he ran some bull crap deal on the front straight away im sure that there was spectators that wanted to see what ever it was but let the other people that,s been there all day out . I think this is the same guy that cut this class last year now since it,s become a successful series he wants the cars back and he's doing what ever he can to ruin TSRS and piss off the spectators and sponsors that follows this series.To me this just another SAS promotor that does not care about the racers, sponsors or spectators just stuffing his pockets and not doing a very good job at that .

I was within earshot of some radios last night and I think the call to

cut that race short may have been made by TSRS not SAS.

Not to mention, theTSRS race before this one was cut 25 laps at

Thunderhill....what's up with that ??

Same deal, too many delays, races like are going to have laps cut

at any track..

Mr. Outlaw, the race at THR was shortened due scheduling of TOO many races for the evening. Being TSRS ran last, they were the ones that cut the SHORT end of the stick. Above all, TSRS, I feel, runs a great operation for its infancy and will be looking forward to helping out in the many successful years to come

Christy

Mitchellracer

supertx,

I almost deleted your entire post due to the animosity you displayed towards the general manager of SAS. As you know, we frown on aggressive language here at TSZ. However, you did bring up a few issues that might warrant further discussion.

1) Regarding the decision to cut the TSRS laps, I believe only eight or nine laps were cut. And it is my understanding that the decision was made by TSRS due to the number of long cautions and the extended red flag for the major oil cleanup on the back straight late in the race. Your assertion that SAS is attempting to "kill" the TSRS is way out of line. Comment like yours seem intended to start controversy where none exists.

2) One has to wonder whether a long bicycle race was appropriate on a jam-packed racing program. I know I didn't get home until 1:40 a.m. and I was about the 10th vehicle in line to exit the pits.

3) It was indeed very frustrating to be trapped in the pits after the finish of the ROMCO race. One would think that people would be allowed to exit the pit area before the start of the demolition derby on the front straight. I'm assuming there is a reasonable explanation as to why no one was permitted to leave, but at this point I don't know what it might be.

Nick Holt

Mitchellracer.....the TSRS race at Thunderhill went last because there was a person, no names, who thought that everybody there was to see that class...so thats why they ran last...they didn't get the short end of the stick b/c they asked to go last. Its also nobodys fault that TSRS has a lot of yellow flag laps.

that's right, I wasn't "attacking" the TSRS, I've known Mary Ann

toooo many years and support all of her and H's efforts...

but when you have such a good car count (a terrible problem to

have at that !!), there will be long yellow/red flag conditions.

I support SAS as well, I only wanted to state what I had heard

on the subject. Mitchellracer, it is folk such as yourself that have

made the TSRS take off like it has !!

Outlaw

Your right, races are cut at other places. Living in GA now I get to see how other tracks are run. Here at Lanier Speedway the show is over every sat. by 11:00. They know not to overbook the shows and if things start to run long that means counting yellows or cutting laps. That is just the way things are and the drivers and the crowd know what to expect. Some people don't like to stay at the track with their families till all hours of the night.

Mitchellracer.....the TSRS race at Thunderhill went last because there was a person, no names, who thought that everybody there was to see that class...so thats why they ran last...they didn't get the short end of the stick b/c they asked to go last. Its also nobodys fault that TSRS has a lot of yellow flag laps.

If this is true, then, I apologize. However, I was unaware of the request to be last or anyone in the TSRS organization asking to be last. Could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time. Regarding the yellow flags, there was too many cars on the track for a feature at THR if you wanted to see ALL green flag racing. Just my .02 worth.

Christy

ps Outlaw - thanks for the compliment, I truly enjoyed working and helping the TSRS cause this year.

One thing that i would like to say is that all the classes of cars that ran Saturday night put on one GREAT show and everybody that's asscoiated with them should be proud.Now as far as the laps being cut in TSRS race what I heard was that the SAS officals were going to cut the laps if the TSRS officals didn't .Now im trying to figure this out the last race of the season two guys within 40 points for the title and they cut the laps for a bicycle race.Now who do you think cut the laps on choice the TSRS officals or the SAS officals I would like to here your thoughts on this

I think the TSRS race was a great show and could have been better, they just needed some more green lap racing. Some of the cars had a lot of trouble lining back up before restarts, what' s the deal there?, that's another reason for longer yellows. What was the deal with the 5 car and the 53 car, the 53 already had his car torn up and he didn't mind banging with the 5. They should have cut the bicycle race to five laps, were these guys invited or did they pay to have thier own show?

TSRS was asked that they please get their cars lined up properly and move on with the show after the caution was lasting so long. TSRS officials were having problems with 2 cars in particular refusing to let each other in the lineup. The show took 1 1/2 hours just for that one race which does not include the driver introductions and trophy presentation. TSRS offered to cut the laps to 10.

Oh and the bicycle race the reason they went 20 laps is so to have 10 miles because they were trying to break the record for the fastest completion of a bicyclist for a ten mile race, thats why they weren't cut. Maybe the bicycles weren't the best but at least SAS is trying to do something different to improve attendance at the track.

bike racing at sas..ummm no! let them break the record on some non racing weekend. that isnt going too make us interested on coming too sas. these half time shows are a waste of time as is running a 8 or 10 lap roadrunner feature on a regualr saturday night with 3 cars. that runs off race fans. i understand we need intermissions but lets keep the half time show at a reasonable time. who knows what will happen at sas next year but hope more cars will there on a weekly basis.

Guest Mary Ann Naumann

Some very good input from this forum & the other one where #04 is trying to sell his TSRS car. Although, lets all remember, SAS decided to drop the very class that TSRS became.

I would have to say, that touring series are not the only things that are hurting the weekly racing. NASCAR Saturday night racing has played a big part in this and is going to play a bigger part next year! Who doesn't want to stay home and watch NASCAR with a few friends on the big screen with replays and the action that they continually have. I realize that the local tracks feel that TSRS has taken away from their weekly show of cars. That was not the intent, nor is the car count as high as it has been because they are all from one area! TSRS pulls cars from over 5 major cities to have the car count that we have. Drivers and their families enjoy being able to race every 3rd or so week and to have along with that, outside family activities and still be able to be competitive to compete in the Points for a shot at a Championship title. When this series started, I truly expected a good field of cars being 12 to 15, in the first season and to grow into what it already is! Can you imagine not only starting a new series, but being blessed with the car counts that we have had nearly every race this season, minimum of 22 cars & maximum on several occasions of 32! Growing pains, yes, who would not!

As far a decisions to cut laps and to run last @ THR, yes, those were calls made on my part. As to refference to the Texas Stock Car Spectacular, one of the owners of THR mentioned to me that one of the other touring series had mentioned that since TSRS was PLANNING on having a "Competition Yellow Pit Stop" that maybe we should go last, when it was even mentioned to me, I said "Not a problem, they have worked with us so well, we do not mind." Never did we expect to be given the track at such a late hour of the night! I felt, by the tone of the management of the track on the radio, that if TSRS had taken the scheduled CYPS, we would not have been allowed to return to the track (understandably with the hour). No one can ever determine in advance how long a race or races will take, but there is more that goes into getting it back to a race, than just lining up the cars, clean up plays an incredible part! Fans love the wrecks, but they want the track ready to race as soon as possible and most of the time, sooner. The drivers want the track clear and clean, so that they can race competitively. Most people have no understanding or appreciation of the pressure that Track Owners, Track Managers and Series Race Directors have on them during a night of racing. Each one feeds off of each other, if clean up takes a little longer than anticipated or there are more accidents than expected or the schedule just simple gets too tight, decisions are made based on many of these unexpected delays. The tracks get testy and the directors get testy. It can become a no win situation. As MAN Racing Promotions - Founder & Director who is very proud to present "The TEXAS SUPER RACING SERIES" I think TSRS has a lot to offer the race fans and the tracks. The show with ROMCO Super Late Models, TAMS & TSRS is definitely a race fans night of racing!

If I were in the tracks shoes, I would look at the 2004 NASCAR Saturday night racing schedules and then I would not compete against them! I would take those nights off, stay home yourself and enjoy the NASCAR race and save some dollars trying to compete with them. And on regular Saturday night racing, I would book the other touring series, one each night along with a pure stock type & a street stock type class. Why make such good money on the big races and loose it all trying to stay open on the nights when there is not as much to offer the fans. I also feel, that running on an every Saturday night race program, that they, the Track Owners or Track Management get burned out and loose the thoughts "that they are in the show business" and entertaining the fans during those long yellows and reds, goes away! That is so important. TSRS last Saturday nights race, took around 1 hr & 15 mins for a 75 lap race (yes, cut by 9 laps, due to the pressure from SAS management) not to say it was not warranted, but I think that TSRS Officials/Staff and Drivers should not have to take full responsibility! For those of you that were there to see this night of racing, a lot of delay was due to the clean up being so extent at times and with the SAS clean up buggy breaking during the hour or so that the 25 lap Road Runners took, prior to TSRS taking to the track. Several different areas took place to make this race as long as it was. Thank goodness the Texas Pro Sedans ran a 25 lap race with no cautions. So, for all the rumors out there, there are some opportunities out there for TSRS for 2004 and some very devoted Drivers/Crews and their families that like the touring scene. :) PNICHBA!

Mary Ann brought up several excellent points, but the one that has been the topic of dicussion many times at the race shop while working on our cars is why there were not any local classes schedueled with the touring series. For example at Kyle we had TSRS,TAMS,AND ROMCO, which was a great show, but why not have a local class run to help draw the local fan base. Or have 2 local classes and 2 touring, or spotlight one touring with 3 local, etc.. As much fun as it was with 5 and 6 classes running the same night, no matter how you plan it, its going to be a late night. I think if we take some of the feedback from this thread and add it to Jasons idea, the 2004 Texas racing scene should be very exciting!

Archived