Playland Park/Meyer Speedway

track brat

Here is some history I found on Ebb Rose at Indy. I am not sure of the accuracy.

Indy 500 results

Year Chassis Engine Start Finish

1960 Moore Offy Failed to Qualify

1961 Porter Offy 19th 23rd

1962 Porter Offy 32nd 14th

1963 Watson Offy 32nd 14th

1965 Philipp Offy Practice Crash

1967 Mallard Offy Practice Crash

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tom,

I see your mention of the Mallard Offy in the post above. Interestingly, that was a design Jim Hurtubise dreamed up while recuperating from his burns at BAMC.

When he finally got out of BAMC he went back north and built the prototype. It was a roadster with a sort of duck bill low on the front end to provide down force and more stability for those type cars. Thus the name "Mallard" was coined for it.

The only reason it didn't really catch on was because that was about the same time the "Rear-engine Revolution" was taking place.

Hurtubise, or "Herk" as he was affectionally known, attempted to race at Indy from 1960 to 1981.

In his 22 attempts at Indy, he qualified 10 times, with a best start of 2nd in 1963 in a Kurtis Kraft Novi, and a best finish of 13th in 1962 in the Trevis Offy.

His Mallard design only qualified once, in 1968, where he started and finished 30th. In 1964, he qualified 11th and finished 14th in a design of his own, but not yet called the Mallard. Qualification in the Mallard was attempted 10 times, with 9 DNQs.

You are right, Buddy, about trying to run a front engine design against the rear engine cars. This partially doomed the Mallard design. Another factor was Herk being a very independent type of guy, at a time when better funded teams were using engineers.

Herk was also known for running a total of 36 NASCAR races from 1957 to 1977, with a win at Atlanta in 1966 while driving for Norm Nelson.

Herk was originally from New York, but was a resident of Port Arthur, Texas at the time of his death in January, 1989.

Was the name Hugh Porter? He was Alan and Elton's dad.

Buddy,

I found a reference in a book I have that stated that a Herb Porter entered the car for Ebb Rose in the 1962 500 with the J.H. Rose Truck Lines sponsorship that was previously mentioned.

In 1961, the car Ebbs drove was a Porter chassis entered by "Racing Associates", with Meyer Speedway as the sponsor.

Racing Associates entered two other cars in 1961; Paul Goldsmith in the #10 Lesovsky chassis, who finished 14th, and Roger McClusky in the #22 Watson chassis, and he finished 27th..

In 1963, Ebb drove for the Thompson-Ansted team in a Watson where he finished 14th, the last car on the lead lap. Foyt went to this team in 1963, and won with them in 1964.

The Racing Associates team had an entry in the 1963 race, with Bob Veith. They had an entry in the 1964 and 65 races with Johnny Rutherford. 1965 was a Halibrand rear engine car. They made the 1966 race with a Watson Roadster with Bobby Grim, and Grim drove their Gerhardt rear engine car in 1967.

Some more for ya'll--

The Herb Porter mentioned in this thread is the same man that has an award named for him in Indianapolis.

The award is as follows:

The award, named in honor of famed race engine builder Herb Porter, is presented annually to an individual(s) "who, through motivation, technical advancement or other accomplishments, has enhanced the philosophies and goals of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway."

Herb Porter and another man named Rick Long owned a engine building company in Indianapolis called "Speedway Engine Development, Inc". The business still exists in Indianapolis in Gasoline Alley.

If you have ever heard a reference to a "Herbie Horsepower", that is Porter. Porter died in 1999 after a car crash. He had worked with a large number of different drivers.

This link goes to a good story about Herb Porter:

Porter

The story is from about 1997 or so.

Track Brat,

I do have a question for you, if maybe you have any information on the subject to share with us. In 1961, Ebb Rose of Houston drove a car in the Indianapolis 500 called the "Meyer Speedway Special". I know little else about it. Do you have any info on this? We'd love to hear from you. Here's a photo of the car.

(See this and other pics of cars and drivers of that era at "Thevintageracer.com")

Budman, hopefully Track Brat can locate/provide some additional information regarding the '61 Meyer Speedway Special Indianapolis Car Roadster. In the meantime, although I make no claim to be an expert, being a long time Houstonian and auto racing fan I will try and pass along what I recall, hoping my information is correct. Unfortunately, J E (Ebb) Rose passed away in August of this year ('07). Ebb Rose was a long time trucking company executive with J H Rose Truckline, a company founded by his father. During the '50s/60s, Ebb Rose was a major force in auto racing in this region, owning Stock Cars, Modified Stock Cars, and Midget Cars. He was possibly also involved in Sports Car Racing, but I don't have any information about that. Besides the Indianapolis 500s, I understand he raced occasionally as well, but I have no specifics. As for the #86 Car pictured, I'm not aware of ownership, but in '61, race fan and track owner Joseph F Meyer was still alive and may have provided some funding along with the race track itself. Also, I am not sure of the builder, but the name Herb Porter rings a bell. I don't believe Ebb finished the '61 race, due to a mechanicle problem/part failure. Joseph F Meyer passed away in '62 as I recall. In the '62 Indy 500, Ebb Rose drove the J H Rose Truckline Special and, I believe finished on the lead lap, completing all 200 laps/500 miles. It appeared to me, that Ebb drove the same car in '61 and '62. Unless destroyed in a crash, many of the cars in that era competed/attempted multiple Indy 500s. For the most part, they used 4 cylinder Offenhauser engines mounted in various chassis. While most of the Indy Car Roadsters of the 50s/60s had the driver off center right, the #86 Car (pictured) has the driver off center left. With the driver sitting beside the driveline area, I am not sure how the engine was mounted to keep weight away from the right side on driver off center left/driveline off center right cars. I assume the engine may have been tilted top left. Although somewhat unique, I seem to recall similar/identical driver off center left Indy Cars competing about that time frame. In '63, I believe the record indicates that Ebb Rose again raced in the Indy 500, completing all 500 miles and finishing on the lead lap. However, it appears that he was in a different car, a conventional driver off center right Indy Car Roadster. I seem to recall that in a later year ('64?), Ebb clocked in 34th fastest with, of course, the race limited to a field of 33. Another little tidbit, in '61 while I was visiting a local race car shop, a long time freelance Rose racing associate, Bob Stegal, stopped by in his beautiful early 50s red five window Chevy pickup truck. In the bed of his truck, he had a recently constructed seat/steering wheel mechanism. Looked similar to a Go Kart without engine and rear section and no wheels. The steering linked to shock absorbers. As I recall, Bob said he had constructed it for Ebb Rose to exercise his arms to prepare for the 500 Mile Race. The late Bob Stegal appeared to be one smart man. As for the '61 Meyer Speedway Special, I would love to know what became of it.

Was the name Hugh Porter? He was Alan and Elton's dad.

No not the same person. Elsewhere on this site there are some posted 50s era Midget Car entries/results that include the name of Hugh Porter. I am 99 & 3/8% sure that the Hugh Porter mentioned is Elton and Allan Porter's dad. Elton Porter may have been Hugh Porter Jr, but I'm not sure.

Always enjoy seeing pictures of the Lesovsky laydown cars...my all time favorite race cars, and I suspect Ebb Rose's, too. His first try at Indy was in a car that Denny Moore put together in the Zink shops. It was a laydown roadster, but with conventional Watson bodywork so it looked like an upright. Ebb decided he wanted it, so he traded Zink the car for some land he owned in the Houston area. That was one of only two cars Zink ever parted with. Rose loved laydowns, so he then got hooked up with Herb Porter and the Racing Associates operation, which owned the Lesovsky cars Johnny Thomson had driven at Indy. I remember seeing McClusky do a good job with one of them at Trenton in about '62. Not sure what ever happened to all the cars, but the Moore laydown is now supposedly in a museum in the Netherlands. I did see one of the Lesovsky cars again, in about 1966, crashing horribly at Flemington Fairgrounds in New Jersey. Somebody had bought it and tried to turn it into a URC sprint car. Didn't work, but once the rear-engined era started, those beautiful cars were just taking up space in the shop for most teams. Sad deal.

Quadsquad, I do recall seeing an Indy 500 film with Johnny Thompson one of those cars and wondered if there was a connection. The cars appeared to be fast as well as beautiful. It appears you have a lot of information that would make great reading.

My dad has several books with pics of th Lesovsky cars, among others.

Will see if I can borrow them this weekend and do some pic scanning.

I also know he is planing to visit will Bill Jones here in S.A. again soon; if anyone knows Zink racing, it is Jones, who was a mechanic with Zink, and still has a ton of stuff stored at the Zink Ranch Museum in Tulsa.

And ya'll keep the stories coming.

This is Don Davis at Indy in 1962 in a Lesovsky laydown, and he started 12th and finished 4th in the 500.

This was a J.H. Rose Truck Lines entry, as was the Ebb Rose #86. While Davis was in the Lesovsky, Rose was driving a Porter.

This pic clearly shows why they called them a laydown, as the Offy engine was laid over in the chassis. Look at how low the exhaust exits the left side.

3 months after this race, Davis died from injuries suffered at New Bremen Speedway, Ohio

post-21-1193971480_thumb.jpg

This is Don Davis at Indy in 1962 in a Lesovsky laydown, and he started 12th and finished 4th in the 500.

This was a J.H. Rose Truck Lines entry, as was the Ebb Rose #86. While Davis was in the Lesovsky, Rose was driving a Porter.

This pic clearly shows why they called them a laydown, as the Offy engine was laid over in the chassis. Look at how low the exhaust exits the left side.

3 months after this race, Davis died from injuries suffered at New Bremen Speedway, Ohio

I didn't recall this entry sponsorship, but it is there on the hood, rose and all, just like on all those trucks that I used to see on the road. If I had to pick my favorite Indy Roadster, it would most likely be a laydown engine driver offset left. The '61 Meyer Speedway Special was my first in person view of an Indianapolis Race Car. There is something about race cars being beautiful as well as fast. I think the fans appreciate that, and sometimes these days it appears that the powers that be don't understand that notion. Of course these cars were not known for being safe, but the same was true for all open cockpit non roll cage race cars. I would assume that Don Davis was killed in a Sprint Car.

• 4 weeks later...
Here is a pic of Johnny Thompson in a Lesovsky Laydown, 1960. This was the #3 entry of Adams Quarter Horse racing.

Those are some beautiful cars. I understand some of them wound up running with modifieds and sprint cars on the bull rings.

:(

Well, Billy Wade to start with ............... in that white #2 Super-modified Danny Burke built (about 1961).

I have lots of Billy. I will try and get the disc made today and start with those. I even have a few of me (I can't believe my mom dressed me like this) at age 6 or 7 presenting trophies to Billy at Playland -

I'm just trying to be helpful here, and I certainly don't know or remember everthing I should, but my memory is that for the first half of the Meyer Speedway '61 season, Billy Wade drove the Cates # 2 red and white '37(?) Ford Coupe bodied Modified Stock Car. At mid season, Billy Wade began driving the # 53 orange and white '37 Chevy Coupe bodied Modified Stock Car that was previously the # 55 Car driven by Buddy Evans. The # 55/# 53 Car was newly built for the rules requiring '37 or newer cars for the Modified Stock Car class at Meyer Speedway, although the body was shortened and narrowed, as was the body on the Cates owned car. The Cates # 2 car was driven the rest of the season by Charlie Schild, and I don't remember it after the '61 season. I'm not sure, but the Cates car may have been an old Playland Modified with an updated body for the new rules. For the '61 season, some of the Modifieds had shortened and narrowed bodies, but some were full sized. By '62, basically all bodies were trimmed. The Danny Burke and/or Tony Foyt built # 2 Roadster Modified Car, driven by Billy Wade, that raced at Meyer Speedway during the '60 season (Thursday nights?) was painted yellow. Also, the '32/'33 Ford Coupe bodied Super Modified/Modified Stock Car # 2, driven in Houston in the mid 50s by A J Foyt Jr, was also yellow.

Well, Billy Wade to start with ............... in that white #2 Super-modified Danny Burke built (about 1961).

I have lots of Billy. I will try and get the disc made today and start with those. I even have a few of me (I can't believe my mom dressed me like this) at age 6 or 7 presenting trophies to Billy at Playland -

I'm just trying to be helpful here, and I certainly don't know or remember everthing I should, but my memory is that for the first half of the Meyer Speedway '61 season, Billy Wade drove the Cates # 2 red and white '37(?) Ford Coupe bodied Modified Stock Car. At mid season, Billy Wade began driving the # 53 orange and white '37 Chevy Coupe bodied Modified Stock Car that was previously the # 55 Car driven by Buddy Evans. The # 55/# 53 Car was newly built for the rules requiring '37 or newer cars for the Modified Stock Car class at Meyer Speedway, although the body was shortened and narrowed, as was the body on the Cates owned car. The Cates # 2 car was driven the rest of the season by Charlie Schild, and I don't remember it after the '61 season. I'm not sure, but the Cates car may have been an old Playland Modified with an updated body for the new rules. For the '61 season, some of the Modifieds had shortened and narrowed bodies, but some were full sized. By '62, basically all bodies were trimmed. The Danny Burke and/or Tony Foyt built # 2 Roadster Modified Car, driven by Billy Wade, that raced at Meyer Speedway during the '60 season (Thursday nights?) was painted yellow. Also, the '32/'33 Ford Coupe bodied Super Modified/Modified Stock Car # 2, driven in Houston in the mid 50s by A J Foyt Jr, was also yellow.

For those wondering what happened to the orange and white #53 -37 Chevy coupe. Walter Ballard bought that car from the owner (I believe it was Cates). Walter drove the car in a couple of races that season and the next year the driving was turned over to George Nash. Walter had the number 24 and the 53 became the 24, a kind of maroon metallic color. One night Walter told George he could have the car, trailer and both big block Ford engines for a thousand bucks. George said I'll take it!!! Don't know where the car went after that as George built a new car in his shop when the rules changed to the smaller bodys.

For those wondering what happened to the orange and white #53 -37 Chevy coupe. Walter Ballard bought that car from the owner (I believe it was Cates). Walter drove the car in a couple of races that season and the next year the driving was turned over to George Nash. Walter had the number 24 and the 53 became the 24, a kind of maroon metallic color. One night Walter told George he could have the car, trailer and both big block Ford engines for a thousand bucks. George said I'll take it!!! Don't know where the car went after that as George built a new car in his shop when the rules changed to the smaller bodys.

That must have went past me Jim. Along about '63/'64, as my interest grew towards the Bronco Stock Car class, I had to more or less tune out what was happening with the Modifieds. I do recall, in about '62, Walter Ballard driving a # 24 Modified Stock Car with what appeared to be a late '30s/'40 Ford Coupe body that had been "trimmed", and narrowed, but was not very pretty compared to the majority of the other Modifieds. That car may have came off the trailer and turned over while in transport, but repaired to race, although the body work was not completed after the damage. I thought George Nash did drive that car some, but before Walter drove it. As for the orange and white # 53 Modified I mentioned, it was one of the first new cars with the original shape but shortened and narrowed body, and was originally the # 55 Buddy Evans car in '61. From what I remember, Billy Wade drove that car the last half of '61, and all of '62 when he was not racing on the NASCAR GN/CUP circuit. In '63, Billy Wade was full time in NASCAR, but did drive that same car one night when he had an off weekend. In late season '61, Buddy Evans showed up with a new # 55 Modified Stock Car, also with a shortened and narrowed '37 or '38 Chevy Coupe body. The new car was different in that the door posts were left in, and was solid orange. Also, in '61, in some of the races George Nash drove a blue # 52 Modified Stock Car with a full sized '39/'40 Ford body. It seems as though along about '62, there was a red and white # 1 Modified driven by Sonny McDaniel, and a red and white # 2 Modified driven by George Nash, and I thought both were Cates owned cars sponsored by Frank's Ice House. I also remember those cars to have the shortened and narrowed '37/'38 Chevy Coupe bodies. I'm sure a lot of the early 60s Modifieds had new paint, new numbers, and new/different drivers in the mid 60s, and I don't have that information, but I would sure like to know.

That must have went past me Jim. Along about '63/'64, as my interest grew towards the Bronco Stock Car class, I had to more or less tune out what was happening with the Modifieds. I do recall, in about '62, Walter Ballard driving a # 24 Modified Stock Car with what appeared to be a late '30s/'40 Ford Coupe body that had been "trimmed", and narrowed, but was not very pretty compared to the majority of the other Modifieds. That car may have came off the trailer and turned over while in transport, but repaired to race, although the body work was not completed after the damage. I thought George Nash did drive that car some, but before Walter drove it. As for the orange and white # 53 Modified I mentioned, it was one of the first new cars with the original shape but shortened and narrowed body, and was originally the # 55 Buddy Evans car in '61. From what I remember, Billy Wade drove that car the last half of '61, and all of '62 when he was not racing on the NASCAR GN/CUP circuit. In '63, Billy Wade was full time in NASCAR, but did drive that same car one night when he had an off weekend. In late season '61, Buddy Evans showed up with a new # 55 Modified Stock Car, also with a shortened and narrowed '37 or '38 Chevy Coupe body. The new car was different in that the door posts were left in, and was solid orange. Also, in '61, in some of the races George Nash drove a blue # 52 Modified Stock Car with a full sized '39/'40 Ford body. It seems as though along about '62, there was a red and white # 1 Modified driven by Sonny McDaniel, and a red and white # 2 Modified driven by George Nash, and I thought both were Cates owned cars sponsored by Frank's Ice House. I also remember those cars to have the shortened and narrowed '37/'38 Chevy Coupe bodies. I'm sure a lot of the early 60s Modifieds had new paint, new numbers, and new/different drivers in the mid 60s, and I don't have that information, but I would sure like to know.

All that information came from a fellow that worked for Walter. He also did the paint and body work on the car as well as fabrication. I'm pretty sure he said that it was the regular sized car before the size reduction rules came in. Anyway the history on some of these old cars is fascinating.

Was this orange and white #53 coupe the same car (white numbers on red) that Billy drove for Archie Lacy at Playland?

4Prop,

After Playland Speedway, 1/4 mile paved, ceased operations when the '60 racing season ended, the weekly Modified Stock Cars began racing at Meyer Speedway, 1/2 mile paved, at the start of the '61 racing season. The rules regarding the cars were also changed. These were Modified Stock Cars, and not Super Modified Cars. From what I remember, the rules for Meyer Modifieds required '37 or newer cars, with fenders, although trimmed. For the most part, the Modifieds racing at Playland Speedway in '60 (and before) were primarily '32-'34 model coupes, without fenders, mostly Fords, with newer V8 engines that were mostly Chevys and possibly a few Fords. Rules are always interpreded differently, and some of the cars under the new at Meyer Speedway rules for '61 had shortened and narrowed bodies that retained stock form/shape. The body modifications were allowed and for '62 most, if not all had the reworked bodies. Quite possibly, some of the Playland Modifieds had '37 or newer updated bodies replaced on the old car for Meyer in '61, but as time went on that was not the case. I'm not going to get into it, but there were discussions regarding "two springers" versus "three springers". As for the orange and white # 53 Modified Stock Car, '37 Chevy Coupe, body shortened and narrowed, that competed at Meyer Speedway in '61, '62, and '63, to my knowledge was a newly built car for '61. It was originally car # 55, driven and possibly owned by Buddy Evans. At about mid season, the # 55 car became the # 53 car driven by Billy Wade, but I don't know about the ownership. For the first half of the Meyer Speedway '61 season, Billy Wade drove a red and white Modified Stock Car # 2, that I believe was owned/built by Bud and/or Tim Cates. That # 2 Car, was possibly a shortened and narrowed '37(?) Ford bodied car. I wonder, and would like to know, if it was an old Playland car with an updated body. As for the # 53 Modified, possibly orange, '32/'33 Ford Coupe body, driven at Playland Speedway by Billy Wade in '60 (possibly '59 & before), I don't have a clue as to what happened to it. Also, it was not the only Modified # 53 he drove at Playland Speedway. There was at least one red car, # 53, '32 Ford bodied Modified/Super Modified in the mid/late 50s driven by Billy Wade that was sold and raced by another competitor. And, there may have been others as well. Possibly, some of the older Playland Modifieds also competed at Austin Speedorama, which was a 1/4 mile paved track similar to Playland's 1/4 mile paved track. The main reason for another recent post regarding some of these cars, is that in the late 50s and early 60s at two Houston race tracks, Billy Wade drove two # 2 Cars, and two # 53 cars. In '60, he drove the famous Roadster Modified # 2 Car at Meyer, I believe on Thursday nights, and the # 53 Coupe bodied Modified at Playland on Saturday nights. In '61, at Meyer, he started the season in the # 2 Modified Stock Car, and about mid season switched to the # 53 Modified Stock Car. I recall that the Roadster Modified class was discontinued at Meyer after the '60 season. Another poster was interested in pictures of Billy Wade in the # 2 Car, and I was just attempting to clear up any confusion. Sorry for all the space.

Jakdad,

I am drawing a blank regarding Walter Ballard after about the '62/'63 Meyer Speedway race season. The only Modified I can picture him in is the # 24 Car I mentioned in other posts. Without a doubt, Walter had to have raced another car/cars at some point later. Maybe someone has some pictures that can be posted. As I recall, Walter Ballard started racing full time in NASCAR GN/Cup in about '70/'71.

4Prop & Jakdad,

After a couple of long winded posts, I feel as though another little tidbit should be added about Playland Speedway during the mid/late 50s and '60, for those who don't know or remember. Hopefully my memory is correct, so here goes. At one time there were three classes, not counting the Midget Cars, racing weekly. There were Super Modified, Sportsman Modified, and Strictly Stock Cars. But, at some point in about '55/'56, the Super Modified and the Sportsman Modified Cars merged into one class, using mostly '32-'34 coupe bodied cars with updated engines. And, of course, Ford and Chevy swaps were allowed. Although Modified Stock Cars, they may have been called "Mighty Modifieds". The Strickly Stock Cars, were later model cars, possibly late 30s to early 50s. I remember some '38/'40 coupes, as well as one of those low sitting Hudsons. In another post on this site, there is a picture of Billy Wade and Archie Lacy with a # 53, '37 Chevy Coupe car that has crashed through the wall at Playland Speedway. That is possibly a Strictly Stock Car from the mid/late 50s. Or, it may have raced as a Sportsman Car. But, as for as I know, the Strictly Stock Cars had to have the stock engine, or at least something close. That class of Houston race cars did not transfer to Meyer Speedway after Playland's closure after '60. I think most of those cars had been raced for awhile and were well used.

Right again Larry! I also remember one of the classes were required to run a Flathead Ford or a Chevy stove bolt six. Clyde Lowe would run Lincolns and fence off everybody. I guess the Lincoln Qualified as a FH Ford. When the rules opened up a little more, Clyde showed up with a Hudson. He won a few races with that old Hudson coupe. I talked to Clyde at his shop a few times and he almost had me convinced to build a Hudson. I mean it went as far as me picking up a 53 hornet engine and buying an old Hudson Coupe. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I recall a class run at Playland and CC in the fifties called "Late Modifieds". Did that class later become "Broncos" at Meyer?

No, to my knowledge after the announcement for a new class of stock cars in late season '62, all cars, with one exception in '66, were newly and purposely built for the soon to be nicknamed "Bronco" Stock Car class. Originally requiring '49 thru '55 model passenger cars, in '64 the rules adjusted to allow '56 model cars. The '56 Chevys had to use the '55 legal heads, and most of them did. By that time, all of the cars except for couple of '54 Fords, were '55 or '56 models.

Archived