NASCAR prime time TV increasing in 2004

NickHolt

As if Saturday night short tracks across America don't have enough problems to overcome already, NASCAR seems determined to compete with our treasured Saturday nights at the local short track.

This article in Forbes Magazine clearly shows the trend is not going to end anytime soon.

http://www.forbes.com/2003/10/07/cx_pp_1007nascar.html

Nick Holt

GUNDOG26,

I guess I'm looking at this more from a fan's perspective. Given a choice of watching a Nextel Cup race for free on Saturday night or traveling out to the local short track on Saturday night, there will be some who will stay home and get their racing fix on TV.

I realize that people always have the option of taping the Cup race, but I have yet to figure out how to set the time on my VCR, let alone actually tape something.

Nick Holt

More competition for the local tracks to fill the seats. Seems to me that more focus is going to have to be made on marketing the local racing scene. It will be pretty interesting to see how the tracks respond.

Course, we know also that the local racers are going to have to participate more fully as well.

I think we need a local racing alliance "car club" type of deal accross all the classes of stock car racing to help market us in an organized fashion. Put on car shows in conjunction with other car clubs etc.

what ashame it rained last night. there was nothing too do, no racing on tv or anything! oh wait there was that charlotte race but nbc only showed commercials. the tv deal sux and nbc, well only show like 10 laps of racing and thats it. after last nights flop with the cup coverage short track racing is going to be ok because the true race fan wants too watch racing not commercials. bring back espn!!!!!

Did anybody ever count the commercials in a football game? Of course, since there is only about 18 minutes of action in a game that takes three and a half hours, there is a lot of down time for commercials.

For racing to get the coverage and the money from networks, we have to put up with commercial breaks.

For what it's worth, I didn't think the commercials were all that intrusive.

When you have exciting races like you did last night (4 or 5 cars leading all night, same guys the last 6 weeks) , its only a plus

for those of us that have been on our local tracks for so long.

There is so much parity in Winston Cup and Busch right now that one

knows who will win the pole, win the race etc..

The multi car teams have eliminated the guys racing like we all do

on our shoe string budgets. You go to a superspeedway and you know which two cars will be the class of the field. There are so many

1.5 mile tri-oval speedways that the same cars are the class of the

field everytime. I love Winston/Nextel Cup racing but it has become so predictable. At least with short track racing on a local level there

is still the element of surprise and the little guy still has a chance to win the trophy.

I would have taken a local show last night in a heartbeat over

Winston Cup.

i forgot to mention we didnt get to see a post race winners interview. why fine the cup drivers $ when they dont show up to a press confrence after the race when we the tv crowd dont get too hear them? N(othing) B(ut) C(ommercials) needs too get it together with these saturday night races..im sure the people at saturday night live can wait!!!!!!!

Archived