Amazing flying Late Model pic

rebelracewriter

Joe,

I remember that night too. Broke your thumb in the steering wheel, right? I also recall the FAA at San Antonio International called the track wanting to know why someone didn't file a flight plan on that one...

Nick Holt

Sorry Nick no broken bones just one bad headache for about week. And Scott Holland still owes me 3500.00 for that helicopter ride. The broken wrist was from a traffic accident, I think the year before.

And Reb it was Lance Gaither. Lance I'm sorry if I spelled your name wrong.

Joe Aramendia

Joe,

Oh yeah... I got the wrecks mixed up.. lol

If you happen to locate Mr. Holland lemme know.

You going to the suspension seminar this fall? I think this will be your third time through and, as you might recall, the third time is free.

Nick Holt

i went to school in houston with a guy that ran that race, in a modified last year, he was supposed to run this year, but i couldnt get ahold of him today, i saw his dads name, but not his, guess he didnt make the show. ironically, eric schmidt is good friends with him and i have been to their shop on one of my visits to cali. small world huh.

big john

Hey racerboy......

I didn't see Bendele's wreck.....but another of the worst ones at SAS was when Greg Davidson wiped out about four cars in the parking lot after using David Truepers LM for a launching pad.

One of the all time weird ones was years ago(too many to count) when Eddie Bierschwale went over between turn 3&4 and aims it as well as he could at a RX7 that picked the wrong time to park in the NO PARKING zone.

And Reb's link up top reminds me of several stories from Pcola where (before they put walls on the place) some LM's went sailing off Turn 1 and out across Pine Forest road. "Honest, Mr. Allstate, here I was minding my own business, driving home, and this #68 Late Model slides across in front of me. "

Billy

i remember a street stock race at sas when the 2 car of melvin meyers ran brandon in the 23 car out of the track. wasnt the 23 street stock launched out of sas twice? once in turns 1 and 2 and the other down the back straight?

Didn't Johnny White go over the wall at CC way back in the day?

yes, I was There! Over in turn 1 just missing the pit stands. Landed on his wheels on top of Robert Ponce's trailer and bounced off, landing upside down. He couldn't get out because his shoe laces were tangled in the pedals. I think he left his shoes in the call.

The winner for distance at San Antonio has to go to Greg Davidson. About '85 or '86 he went out of the place in turn three, and landed in the first row of the spectator parking lot-hit about 4 cars out there if I remember right. One had paper-tags.

When the safety crew got to him, he was fumbling around for his glasses, and hollering for someone to tell his wife he was aright. I think Greg was in a Howe car that night, it held up fairly well considering the lick it took.

The all-time award for height I witnessed was a California sprint-car racer I saw go out of Petaluma, CA, back in '94. It was a winged 360 Sprint, on a fast black-dirt track, and he vaulted another competitor's wheels, cleared the track fence and a row of palm trees, and landed in the public street offf turn 1-2.

To add to Fryarfan's story, Austin's Jim Pallas stuck his car up in the trees off the backstretch at P-cola before the walls went up.

And we can't do this without a TWS story--Anyone else remember when Ronnie James of Wichita Falls ran through an infield bathroom during a TROC race? Awfully lucky no one was using that stall!

Now a trivia question--Who was the first to go out of San Antonio? What turn? Bonus--What car?

Well, since I didn't get that one right, how about this trivia.......

Who put the heaviest car ever over the wall at SAS??

Answer....we did. In the early days of the Bombers in 86 when we were all running tanks, we launched a 4000 lb.(actually about 4100 lb.) 4 dr. 72 Pontiac out off Turn 1. We were splitting up the driving and lucky ol' Billy was in the pits that night.

The bomber rules back then didn't even require roll bars or harnesses(yeah, we were young and stupid!!). Not long after our launch, they did!!!!!!!

Billy

My dad went out of the place twice. The first time was in a '79 camaro. Ricci Ware Jr ran a little too hard into 1, pushed up into my dad (I wasnt born yet, just what i've heard from stories), my dad flew out between 1 and 2, and Ricci came back sliding across the track on his roof. the second time the throttle hung down the backstretch and he went over in turn 3. I belive he was in the Larry Shaw monte carlo that time. We have em on video somewhere around here, as well as once when Ervin went over between 3 and 4, I think he was in Alexander's car at that time. Have plenty of pics of them days, just need to get a dang scanner and put them on here.

The first year I announced at SAS, 95, I remember Brandon Bendele went over the wall between 1 & 2..I got over there, and the car was completely turned over, thankfully Brandon was okay... :D

Archived