ROMCO vrs TSRS costs

Guest Justaracefan

Guest Justaracefan

I was just wondering what is the cost difference between running TSRS and ROMCO --

Like I heard that it cost approximately $1,000/per night to run ROMCO by the time you buy tires, pit passes, etc. and that a good competitive car with all the right parts and a good motor you are looking at spending around $25,000 - I might be way off but would like to know.

I don't know what the fees are for romco but I have seen at least 3 sets of new tires in some of the romco teams pits wichs amounts to about $1500.00 for some of the races at SAS.a good engine for a romco car is about 25k from what I have heard

Guest Justaracefan

Oh another question? I know that the ROMCO cars are legal bascially anywhere across the country there is a super late model race like the Snowball or the Nashville Race or Alamabama or Southern All Stars - Where can the TSRS cars compete (legal) except in the TSRS series?? Are their rules aligned with late model stock series across the country?

Tires, fuel, pit passes, entry fees, meals, lodging it adds up. It costs us about $900-$1000 to put our TSRS car on the track when we travel, about $300.00 less when we race here in Houston. I haven't added up repair and maintenance expenses and not sure that I will or want to. The TSRS car is pretty unique in that it has a stock stub must be 107” min wheelbase and uses 8” wheels. There are plenty of other stock stub classes/series especially in Florida but they are all 105” cars using 10” wheels. They can be adapted to TSRS rules but it takes some work. As a result there isn’t a pool of used, race ready TSRS legal cars other than in Texas. JP

I noticed that JUSTARACEFAN called the TSRS a "LATE MODEL STOCK". FYI a late model stock is what they run at SASand is a NASCAR spec chassis-105 wb, tubular camaro copy front clip, mini clutch,coil overs, quick change 10" wheels, 350cfm carb,performer intake. What they run at kyle/TSRS is what they run out west in California, Nevada etc, they are called Late Model Sportsmen except out their they run 10" tires and Mini clutches. To bad TSRS can't see the light and give the guys without the bucks a true LateModel Class, most of them already have aftermarket hubs 10" tire wouldn.t hurt them, and hell if you mandated a 7.5" miniclutch and put a weight rule on it, they are spending more than that on the 10,000 rpm big clutches and the mini clutches are alot more durable. After watching the TSRS cars run with SAS latemodels Saturday night at Octoberfast, the qualifying times with just bolting on a 10" tire they were a full second faster than with the 8" tires. 10" - 19.40 8"-20.38 Kind of makes some of the ROMCO cars look bad when some of those 550hp -2900 lb cars qualify slower than that. Someones putting their money in the wrong place. Oh yeah, the SAS guys also I been reading run for between $42,000 and $165,000 year end points fund.

Guest Justaracefan

I am reading a lot of good feed back but I still haven't learned what the cost of a TSRS car and motor cost? From what I have read a Romco Car and Motor will cost you around $45,000.00 plus spare parts plus approx $1,500 to $2,000 per night to run. A TSRS car will cost you approx $700.00 to $1,000 per night to run.

A Romco Super Late Model you can go run pretty much anywhere in the country a TSRS Car you can run in TSRS or THR unless major modifications are made -- The reason I am asking I am thinking of buying one of these cars to field to put a driver in next year. The Company I work for has some marketing money to spend (around $25,000) We are just trying to compare the two series - We are looking at TAMS as well but have already received information on the TAMS costs etc.

First off, what is your sponsor looking to get out of his investment and what market are they going after. Second, is this purchase going to be campaigned for the season. If so, figure on all your travel expenses gas, motels, crew pit passes, meals etc. What is your long term use going to be for the car. I noticed you mentioned running the car in different places around the country. You are correct in stating that a ROMCO car can be run with several other series. First you have to look past not just the rules but how they are enforced, the costs go up as the number of rules go down. This usually indicates that the sanctions would rather not spend much time teching and do similar to ROMCO and only do external teching since the only money to win is at the race. When there is large dollars at the end of the year in points funds you will usually see more defined rules and more thorough and complete techning, ex: ASA, NASCAR Touring, Hooters Pro cup, NASCAR Dodge Weekly Series,etc. My vote for most bang for the buck in TEXAS Touring is TAMS hands down. Fast Car, excellent rules and enforcement and affordable.

Hey speedracer, its the possiblity that you can win this kind of money. Its not that you will. Larry will still take home over $5,000 in points money that is still more than any other asphalt track/touring series in Texas at present. Just ask Brandon, he took the $42,000 home two times and Mike Balzer I was told took home over $10,000 last year, non of these numbers included their weekly winnings.

Justaracefan-

Fishracer brought up a good point concerning what your sponsor can get out of it. If you have $25,000, you can't spend it all on the sponsorship. The "Big Boys" in NASCAR spend twice as much on promoting their association with the racing team than the amount they give the team.

On a more local level, a good rule is to spend half of your marketing money on the team, and the other half promoting the team. Expenses for driver cards (not too bad, by the way, maybe five hundred bucks for the season if you look around), appearances by team and car, supplemental advertising and someone competent to write press releases will eat up a big chunk in a hurry.

Your best bet for bang for the buck for your comany's marketing money is to find some established team and driver, and see if they'll take $12,500 for a title sponsorship, then spend the rest on marketing and promotion.

JUSTARACEFAN dont you race?? If my memory serves me right you have ran a few ASA races, Romco, TSRS and maybe even a couple of TAMS races this year already. Havent YOU?? Maybe im confused but thats what i thought, or atleast your e-mail address is the same as someone whos has ran those races this year. I was going to reply to you via e-mail and the address is cgsracing@aol.com. holla back if im mistaken

Guest Justaracefan

I am the webmaster that serves this account and many other racers, My main business is wiring High Speed Internet Service for hotel, homes, etc and designing and creating websites.

Justaracefan,

I would seriously look at the TAMS series. Like someone said previously it is by far the most bang for the buck. This past weekend James Cole set fast time at Sa with a 19.279. That was fast than the Sa late models were running. I could be wrond but thats also not far off of what the ROMCO series run. But most importantly it is a great series to be involved in because of the people in it. This is coming from someone who has been in all forms of racing since I was 5.

Oh I know its a possibility, just saying that it isnt going to happen every year and you would have to dominate at the track to do it. If im not mistaken and PACECAR will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe he made 16k which is still a nice chunk of change. I was just clarifying what you had said... Thats if you dont include his 2.5k that he took home Sat night either.

Another thing that is mistaken about SAS is that you have to buy 4 tires each night to be competitive and in the case of many of the drivers there thats not the case since most run a 4-2-4 rotation on tires and some even run on pull-offs. Tires and wrecks tend to be the biggest expences that I see at SAS in the LM division.

Just my .02 cents

Justaracefan

Why do you need to build a car , and find a driver?

There are several great teams in TSRS like ours that already have a complete car , but just need money to compete every week.

you will spend $6000.-$7000. a season on just tires.

A Good TSRS motor with Good parts complete $6000-$10000.

I will sell you my car for $25,000. lol

No really Why would your company want to own the car they sponsor?

I think they would get more bang for their buck ,by putting some money into a race team that is already complete, and just needs backing.

You could be a major sponors for a TSRS car and spen between 7k -15k, and be a TSRS series sponsor for a bit more.

Just my 2 cents.

Victory Lane

A few things were overlooked here,no a ROMCO cannot run in every series like they are,#1 they are running American racer tires this,a lot of series are running Hoosiers,some Goodyear,and even one is running BFG tires,that is the biggest problems with late models from coast to coast,also some make you run a perimeter frame only,others let you run offset frames.Then you also have the carb. issue,why run a 350 cfm carb when a 500 is cheaper,considering the guys that run a 350 spend around $750 and up to make it work,I would rather spend that on a 4 barrel,most have a rule to let you run a 390 or a 750,which for the most part I think has that situation evened out a little,depending on the heads.Basically late models have a problem you cannot run coast to coast without major changes from track to track or series to series. As much as I am not for everything that IMCA does,they do have their act together on tires,for the most part you can run a IMCA mod coast to coast at a sanctioned trackand run the same tires,with the changes maybe in having to run mufflers or a weight rule.I do agree with TSRS on their rules,I think they are good,yes maybe a few changes,but the 8 inch wheels and tires take out some of the engine issues and put better handling to the front.

On the note about TSRS running 10 inch wheels the TSRS cars that ran at SAS had alot of the same problem with the 10in tire and that was tire rub on the tie rod ends. I know that Bendele had that problem on the Fri practice and MacLemore had the same issue on Sat. I dunno if that was what ended MacLemore's night. Brandons #8 TSRS car developed a push as the night went on... Just more info to digest...

Hey marc, don't you think that at most tracks if allowed, the front runners on heavier cars in a class where there is a big points fund possible are putting on 4 tires. As for the idea of the 350cfm costing more think again 500cfm guys if you are getting beat its by a guy with the same investment in a 500cfm as the guy with 350cfm. Sounds like someone with an excuse to spend the money. As for the 390-750 I concur. The whole idea is too save money and increase durability. With the way the economy is these days it would only make since to try and get as many racers as possible that can afford and keep affording to race. It sure is funny that the promoters/sanctions don't do like racers and look far ahead to the next corner.

Bendele was on the 4-2-4 rotation all year and ran pretty decient on it. I guess it depends on what the guys have/want to spend to get where they were going. I might be mistaken and probrobly wrong but I think the top 3 in points were all doing the 4-2-4 rotation. L. Bendele was Horelka I think was and Garcia was. Tho this year I did notice that as a whole the race laps were slower this year than last year when all they did was qualify and run a feature. If Racerjim is reading this he might be able to provide some insight and correct me where I am wrong.

Fishracer you brought up a good point about the tires and maybe this year was a fluke but would the tire decision be based on if you were running heats then main vs. qualifing and main or does it really make a difference in your opinon. Also would you buy 4 tires every night if the guy that is consistantly beating you or running equal lap times? Guess the ultimate question to that is wether a team will base what is does tire and set-up wise on what the teams above or below them are doing.

Archived