CC Speedway, A Salute to the Yocum's, 8/4/07

A Salute to the Yocum's, Corpus Christi Speedway, 8/4/07

By J M Hallas

Corpus Christi, Tx.(Aug. 4th, 2007) Saturday night marked the new beginning for Corpus Christi's venerable 1/4 mile high-banked speedway. The area's mainstay of racing over the past six decades has a history as long as the storied drivers that have turned laps, including NASCAR star, Terry Labonte, who won a track championship, as well as Indy car’s A. J. Foyt and Lloyd Ruby.

A new start is always preceded with a farewell to the past, in this case long-time track owners Donnie and Carol Yocum, who were honored for their 16 years of providing south Texas drivers a place to race. During intermission all the Corpus cars assembled on track and with Carol Yocum leading the way, all took one final lap in honor of the Yocum family's dedication to motorsports in Corpus Christi.

Taking over the reigns of the “Fastest quarter mile asphalt track in Texas” are James Beasley and Shelma Walton. Walton also owns and operates J & S Racing Promotions, a newly formed company that provides racing promotional and sponsorship services, headquartered in San Antonio, Texas. CCS plans to hold all of the remaining 2007 races as originally scheduled with points racing ending on September 1. Some additional special events may be added during the 2007 racing season.

Super Streets

John Witzsche and 11 lead the 9-car field to green for the special 40 lap main event. Witzsche got the early lead and began to put distance on Mark Hudler and Matthew Kaminski, who was getting pressure from Greg Carlucci sr. Greg Carlucci jr. began his charge to the front getting along side and past Troy Vella on lap 8. Carlucci jr. then got by his father for fourth on lap 14. Several laps later Carlucci jr. was side by side with Kaminski for third, taking the spot on lap 18.

Carlucci jr reeled in Hudler on lap 23 and took over second on lap 24 but was over a half straightaway behind Witzsche. Carlucci jr. got a needed break on lap 26 when his dad blew out a right front tire and hit the turn 3 wall to bring out a caution. On the restart Carlucci jr ducked inside Witzsche on green and the two battled door to door for a lap before Carlucci jr got the nose of his Camaro out front on lap 28.

Vella and Matthew Kaminski had just swapped fourth when the two hooked bumpers on the back stretch sending Vella around to bring out a yellow flag. Vella was given his spot back and Kaminski went to the tail. Once back to green Witzsche tried to stay on Carlucci jr. while Vella got under 11 for third. In the final laps Carlucci jr. inched away from Witzsche who was being tracked down by Vella. Carlucci jr. took the white with an eight car length margin over Witzsche who had Vella looking inside. The battle for second was side by side on the back stretch with Vella getting the spot in turn 3, and Carlucci jr. taking the checkered flag.

CCS Super Street Feature

1. (34) Greg Carlucci, Jr., Corpus Christi, TX

2. (20) Troy Vella, Corpus Christi, TX

3. (78) John Witzsche, Corpus Christi, TX

4. (11) Mark Hudler, Corpus Christi, TX

5. (27) Douglas LeStourgeon, Corpus Christi, TX

6. (7) Matthew Kaminski, Corpus Christi, TX

7. (98) Bobby Jack, Rockport, TX

8. (84) Greg Carlucci, Sr., Corpus Christi, TX

9. (3) Mario Lopez

66 Troy Hensiek—DNS

The Super Street Australian Pursuit saw John Witzsche jump out front and run away until yellow waved for Troy Hensiek, who tagged the wall on lap 6. Witzsche was able to hold off the remainder of the pack until the checkers waved.

Witzsche took the heat win.

Bombers

Ernie Villegas was first out of turn 2 to get the early lead in the 20-lap, 11-car Bomber feature. Brad Waddsup and Chris Silvas put on a good fight for third, running door to door for several laps before Waddsup got the spot. Taylor Vella and Anthony Monroe ran side by side for fifth on lap 3, with Monroe getting that spot on lap 3. Waddsup got by Dan Kurka for second on lap 4 with Monroe following into third.

Waddsup and Monroe had a brief side by side battle for second on lap 5, with Monroe getting the position on lap 6. Vella spun himself from fifth on lap7, but kept going without causing a caution. Caution did wave on lap 10 after Kevin Sullivan and Steve Caesnatt made contact, both were forced to pit as well as Caesnatt who pulled to the infield.

On the restart, Waddsup tried to retake second from Monroe who fought off the challenge, but Michael Jack was able to snare fourth from Silvas. After holding Waddsup at bay, Monroe jumped to the high side and took the long way around Villegas for the lead on lap 13. Vella slapped the wall on lap 15 while battling with Silvas for fifth. The top five strung out in the final laps leaving Brandon Skinner and Joe Arce in a fight for sixth. Monroe took the win by nearly a half straightaway over Villegas.

CCS Bombers Feature

1. (82) Anthony Monroe, Ingleside, TX

2. (25) Ernie Villegas, Corpus Christi, TX

3. (34) Brad Waddsup, Corpus Christi, TX

4. (28) Michael Jack, Fulton, TX

5. (85) Chris Silvas, Corpus Christi, TX

6. (55A) Joe Arce

7. (2) Brandon Skinner, Flour Bluff, TX

8. (20) Taylor Vella, Corpus Christi, TX

9. (8 Blue) Kevin Sullivan, Corpus Christi, TX

10. (8 Orange) Steve Caesnatt

11. (9) Dan Kurka

Ernie Villegas would take the Bomber Australian Pursuit going flag to flag. Michael Jack appeared to have the fastest car during the race, but traffic played into the hands of Villegas running out front.

Heat winner was Anthony Monroe

Texas Thunder

In the 20-lap, 15-car Texas Thunder feature, the two “Beetles” of Martin Arellano and Shawn Bourland got the jump on the field with Arellano getting the lead. As the two bugs ran side by side, G B Carter was slicing through the field using the high side to take fourth from Bubba Ford on lap 2. Bourland got inside Arellano trying for the lead on lap 4, but lost second to Kelly instead. In the meantime here comes Carter going three wide around Arellano and a lapped car for third.

Carter then inhaled the lead duo in turn 3 to take over the top spot on lap 6. Will Robertson made his move into the mix taking third from Kelly on lap 10. Carter caught heavy traffic on lap13 but never missed a beat. Bourland, Robertson and Kelly caught that traffic on lap 15 shaking up that fight. Kelly took a side trip through the infield losing ground and Robertson grabbed second from Bourland. As the white waved, Carter had nearly a half track lead over Robertson and easily took the win and the tri-fecta sweep.

CCS Texas Thunder Feature

1. (77) G. B. Carter, Harlingen, TX

2. (14) Will Robertson

3. (95) Shawn Bourland, Corpus Christi, TX

4. (29) Johnny Guerra, Corpus Christi, TX

5. (17) Bubba Ford

6. (28) Lisa Avalos, Corpus Christi, TX

7. (97) Martin Arellano

8. (88) Nellie Kelly

9. (50) Gage Guevara, Corpus Christi, TX

10. (4) Cody Limerick

11. (27) Todd Hodler, Corpus Christi, TX

12. (9) Eric Guerra, Corpus Christi, TX

13. (10) Krystal Kemp, Corpus Christi, TX

14. (16) Charlie Custer, Corpus Christi, TX

15. (15) Charly York, Mathis, TX

G.B. Carter put on a driving clinic in the Texas Thunder Australian Pursuit that started 13 cars. The VW Beetles of Martin Arellano and Shawn Bourland battled up front while Carter picked his way through the field. Carter’s Sirocco blew by the bugs on lap 10 ending the event.

G B Carter scored the heat win.

Texas Dwarf Cars

Joe Jackson grabbed the early lead in the 20-lap Texas Dwarf Car feature with James Parks getting by Robert Knandel for second leaving him side by side with Rocky Bassham for third on lap 2. Arden Vikre got by Knandel for fourth on lap 3 on his march to the front. Parks was looking to get by Jackson for the lead on lap 5 but Bassham ducked inside taking second from Parks. Bassham took over the lead from Jackson on lap 7 with Vikre following to second.

The lead pack caught a slower pack on lap 7 with Knandel spinning in turn 1 on lap 8 to bring out a yellow. On the restart Vikre and Jim Rogers tangled before the field took the green on the front stretch. Once back to green Bassham and Vikre got away clean as Vikre pressured Bassham, for the lead. Vikre got past Bassham on lap 10 and began pulling away from Bassham who had a big gap back to Parks in third.

The leader caught slow traffic on 14 and got clipped by Eddie Garza on the front straight. As Vikre spun he got tagged by Bassham, while Garza was hit head-on by Manny Trevino. With Vikre and Bassham now in the infield, Parks inherited the lead for the lap 15 restart. When the green came out Parks, Roland Freeman and Jackson got out with Freeman putting the heat on Parks for the lead. The lead trio caught a slow moving multi-car road block on the last lap. As the trio tried to negotiate that group, Freeman got turned hard into wall leaving Parks to take the victory unchallenged.

Texas Dwarf Car Association Feature

1. (88) James Parks, Donna, TX

2. (24) Joe Jackson, Rankin, TX

3. (93) Robert Knandel, Corpus Christi, TX

4. (12) Eddie Garza, Corpus Christi, TX

5. (95) Deborah McGinnis, Corpus Christi, TX

6. (60) Richard Smith, Wimberley, TX

7. (00) David Royal, Corpus Christi, TX

8. (0) Kim Royal, Corpus Christi, TX

9. (4) Roland Freeman, Corpus Christi, TX

10. (37) C.A. Smith, Corpus Christi

11. (6) Jim Rogers, Austin, TX

12. (3) Rocky Bassham, Corpus Christi, TX

13. (72) Arden Vikre, San Marcos, TX

14. (55) Lee McGinnis, Corpus Christi, TX

15. (87) Manny Trevino, Gregory, TX

Sportsman/Super Stock

The combined San Antonio Speedway Sportsman and Thunder Hill Raceway Super Stocks 30-lap feature got off to a rocky start at the drop of the green. Outside polesitter, Greg Rohmer got sideways coming out of turn 4, over-corrected and came back in front of Keith Garrett. Garrett tagged the rear of Rohmer’s car causing some body damage that forced Garrett to pit for repairs.

On the second start, Terry Tschoerner got the lead from the pole, with THR points leader Cary Stapp grabbing second. Garrett, with repairs made, moved along side Rohmer as they battled for third. Stapp took a couple peeks inside Tschoerner early, but was unable to get under and complete the pass.

As the top four began to pull away Duane Toyne grabbed fifth from Chris Birmingham on lap 6. With the top four running nose to tail, Stapp would take an occasional look for the lead. As the quartet came up on Scott Stubbs it may have been a chance for Stapp to sneak by for the lead. Stubbs observed the move over flag and quickly got out of the line letting the lead quartet sail past.

With ten to go, Toyne was slowly reeling the lead group, but would later slow his pace. Tschoerner, Stapp and Garrett then put some distance on Rohmer as the laps wound down. Stapp tried to turn up the heat in the final laps and gave it the ol’ college try on final lap, but it Tschoerner holding steady, and taking the victory by less than a car length.

Sportsman (SAS) & Super Stock (THR) Feature

1. (01) Terry Tschoerner, Taylor, TX

2. (99) Cary Stapp, San Marcos, TX

3. (13) Keith Garrett, New Braunfels, TX

4. (51) Greg Rohmer, San Antonio, TX

5. (4) Duane Toyne, Leander, TX

6. (9) Chris Birmingham, Leander, TX

7. (45) Scott Stubbs, Del Valle, TX

Road Runner/Hobby Stock(Thunder Stock)

At the start of the seven car Thunder Stock feature JRA Kids Club president, Aaron Brungot jumped out front of the seven car field. Anthony Gordon and Jamie Evans battled side by side for second until the two made contact sending Gordon around and Evans to the tail.

Once back to green, Gordon looked inside Brungot for the lead but could not complete the pass. As the top four of Brungot, Gordon, Jason Stanley and Jody Wayne Stuart began to pull away, Evans made his way back up to fifth. Gordon would spin himself out of second on lap 10 allowing Stanley to reel in Brungot for the lead on lap 12 with Stuart on his bumper.

Gordon spun himself to the infield on lap 15 coming back on the track in front of Marc Roy, who had the leaders fast approaching. Stanley used lapped traffic and a smoke screen for Stuart’s spin out and burn out to get by Brungot for the lead on lap 16. Stanley was able to edge away from Brungot in the last few laps for the victory.

Road Runner (SAS) & Hobby Stock (THR) Feature

1. (44) Jason Stanley, San Antonio, TX

2. (50) Aaron Brungot

3. (19) Jamie Evans, Cuero, TX

4. (24) Marc Roy, San Antonio, TX

5. (12) Jody Wayne Stuart, LaVernia, TX

6. (20) Anthony Gordon, San Antonio, TX

7. (67) Joe Horne, San Antonio, TX

Grand Stock

Austin area racing veteran, Mark Chrudimsky jumped out front in the 20 lap SAS/THR combined Grand Stock feature. Chrudimsky, Brad Burke, Chris Saathoff and Brad Brockman break away from the field with Burke looking inside Chrudimsky for the lead on lap 4. Saathoff brought out the yellow on lap 7 after spinning from battled for third with Brockman and James Lynch.

Chrudimsky got a good jump on green while Brockman and Burke ran side by side for second and Lynch and Floyd Reed were door to door for fourth.. Lynch slapped the wall from that fight and struggled on for a few laps in his wounded car. Bill Stehle and Steve Dalrymple had dual spins in turn 2 throwing mud on the track and a drawing yellow from the flagman.

Again Chrudimsky got away clean on green leaving Burke, Brockman and Reed scrapping for second. Debris on lap 16 prompted another caution to rebunch the field for a shootout to the finish. Chrudimsky wasted little time getting clear of his pursuers and built a half straightaway lead on his way to the victory.

Grand Stock (SAS & THR) Feature

1. (39) Mark Chrudimsky, Hutto, TX

2. (47) Brad Burke, Johnson City, TX

3. (65) Floyd Reed, Spicewood, TX

4. (95) Brad Brockman, Aransas Pass, TX

5. (139) Matt Merrell, Portland, TX

6. (60) Raymond Riley, Buda, TX

7. (49) Chris Saathoff, Corpus Christi, TX

8. (92) Bill Stehle

9. (48) Steven Dalrymple, San Antonio, TX

10. (83) Bryon Reed, Kyle, TX

We will change the name on the official results listed in the Announcement section. The official results had already been sent to the media, but we'll make sure that the payout and points are done in Jason's name.

Thanks for letting us know.

Thanks Debbie! I was also wondering about the Austrailian Pursuit. Is there going to be a pay out and points as usual? Will the track continue this race? If so, maybe someone can clearify the rules. It has been established that no one can pass until the line between turn 1 and 2 on the start of the race, but what about restarts? Just curious. Thanks for your time and effort. :)

RUN A TEXAS PURSUIT //// FOR THOSE THAT DONT KNOW WHAT THAT IS ..MAYBE ONLY US OLDTIMERS KNOW ...... INSTEAD OF HAVEING TO PASS A CAR TO KNOCK HIM OUT OF THE RACE ..YOU HAVE TO PASS TO STAY IN THE RACE ..LAST CAR ON THE COMPLETED LAP HAS TO PULL OFF ..YOU START THE FASTEST CARS IN THE BACK ON UP TO THE SLOWEST .. THAT WAY THE SLOWEST CAR HAS A BETTER CHANCE OF GETTING A HARD TOGET WIN ..HECK OF A GOOD FUN RACE FOR THE FANS ..NOT FOR THE HIGH POINT FAST CARS ...BACK WHEN TERRY LABONTE RACE AT CC THEY TRIED THAT RACE AND HE DIDNT LIKE THAT ONE ..HE FORGOT YOU HAD TO PASS TO STAY IN ...HE CAME IN SECOND ...

For the C.C. Speedway Texas Thunders the number 10 car was driven by Benton Kemp in the Australian and the Feature and the number for the car was changed to #19.He did advise the person doing the line up and such that the change was being made as he was driving the car. The number 27 is Todd Hudler not Todd Hodler.

Thanks,

#10 CC Speedway Texas Thunder Driver

well get all ur [edited out by Nick Holt, 8/8/07] boxes running [edited out by Nick Holt, 8/8/07]. that way u can start up front ,and get passed real quick, b4 you spin out and blow up.quit talking and start working on ur pos's
QUIT READING .. AND COME ON OVER AND HELP ME FINISH THEM ..BRING SOME MONEY TO HELP WITH PARTS .AND THEY WILL GET OUT THERE SOONER ..OH SHOOT I FORGOT ONE RACED SATERDAY ..YOU SEE I QUIT TALKING AND SPENT 27 HOURS GETTING READY FOR SATERDAY ,STARTED WITH NO MOTOR THURSDAY .AND HAD IT THERE RACEN SATERDAY ...AND AS SOON AS THE PARTSWE ORDERD YESTERDAY GET HERE .THE OTHER WILL BE OUT THERE ASWELL ..HECK MAYBE SATERDAY ....SEE YOU AT THE RACES.. BTW WHAT MAKES YOU THINK THEY ARE POS.S .YOU MAY WANT TO EXPLAIN THAT TO THE OTHER OWNERS ..I KNOW WHAT IT MEANS . I DONT CALL ANYONES CARS THAT ..

i said yours. not the ones you attempt to work.

ok i read that wrong lol ..all three are mine aswell as three other poeple that are owners ..you see jessie lisa and jessie jr and i are owners of any racecar i attempt to work on that are in our stable . i finance with money and free labor of love , now maybe they are pos's to some .but one of them has thousands of dallor's in it ..at that they all have alot tied up .. so i am exstending a welcome for you to help if you want ..lord know's.i could use it .. at the same time if you need something .we will ifi i we can help you ..

Dear Rebelracewriter, B)

Your stories are truely impressive and written with obvious talent and passion. My correction for the #9 was just for his "credit due", not to take away from your writing. It is infact the same car Dan Kurka drove the prior race. We enjoy your recount of the night and it brings a smile to my husband's face to see his actions in your writing. I'm sure the other drivers all feel the same. Keep up the great job!! :)

Thank you......and I understand about getting credit. I was the third driver on a two car team and got to race whenever one of the others was busy.......I got missed too. LOL

The thing is, you may give the info to someone in the pits but that info hardly ever filters back to the announcer(been there, done that), the scorers or person in charge of getting results, or me.......that's how these things happen the majority of the time. Sorry if I came off a little cranky......hadn't had my dinner yet. :lol: It was more to be sarcastic <_< and if you knew me, you might have understood that better.

Hopefully now that I've explained this, people will get the changes to more officials and maybe keep these mistakes from occuring so much.

Thanks again for the kudos. :D

Archived