Sportsman @ Oktoberfast 10-4-03 recap

Texas Dodge Dealers 7th Annual Oktober”Fast” @ San Antonio Speedway 10-4-03

By J M Hallas

Rookie Takes OktoberFast Sportsman Win

San Antonio, Texas. An interesting mix of SAS regulars along with Thunder Hill Raceway and Corpus Christi Speedway drivers timed in for the 50 lap main event for the Sportsman class. With Sportsman champion Marcus Bellino off on the East coast helping with clean up/repairs after their recent hurricane, part-time SAS driver Kenny Hurley jumped into the championship car and promptly went out and set quick time with a 21.875.

Twenty-five cars started the feature with Robert Mayberry and Eric Knudtson on the front row after the 5-car invert. Mayberry was first into turn one, but rookie driver Justin Oates, coming from row two, made the pass down the backstretch to lead lap one. Hurley and Colt James followed along in second and third with Mayberry falling to fourth and Knudtson to sixth.

By lap 5 the top three were pulling ahead, with James challenging Hurley for second. Hurley was forced to check up for a lap car giving James the chance to make the pass. But at the same time Knudtson was losing the wheel after breaking an axle to bring out a yellow. This gave Hurley the spot back on the restart.

Once back under green it didn’t take long before the top three again were breaking away, with gaps back to Mayberry and Tommy Casey. On lap 10 James spun while trying to get by Hurley to slow the action again. On the restart, Hurley broke and quickly fell back opening up a huge lead for Oates. Oates continued to add distance to his spread over Mayberry until lap 22 when George Reyes slid up into the turn one wall.

On the restart George Lucas did a 360 spin and kept going, though the yellow had already come back out. Oates got a good jump as the green flew, leaving Mayberry and Casey to fight it out for second as the race approached halfway. The top five at the mid-point were Oates, Mayberry, Casey, Frank Johnson and David Hassinger. Tater Mason was making his way to front, running sixth after starting dead last, when he arrived late and missed time trials.

Casey tried inside Mayberry on lap 26 but was unable to get by, while Oates was sailing off into the night. Mayberry and Casey continued to scrap it out for the runner-up spot, at one point going three wide around a lap car and allowing Johnson to close in. With 10 to go, Oates had a commanding three second lead over the Mayberry/Casey battle, while Mason got past Hassinger for fifth.

Oates increased the margin to four second with 5 to go as no one had anything on this night to keep up with the young Oates. Oates, who had his NASCAR license before he was old enough to drive on the streets, went on to snare a fairly easy victory in his Affordable Trailers/Aramendia Plumbing/Chevy Camaro.

Feature

1. 0 Justin Oates, Adkins, 50 Laps

2. 21 Robert Mayberry, San Antonio, 50

3. 15 Tommy Casey, San Antonio, 50

4. 16 Frank Johnson, San Antonio, 50

5. 12 Tater Mason, San Antonio, 50

6. 83 David Hassinger, Kyle, 50

7. 33 David Tedford, San Antonio, 50

8. 4 Craig Crawley, San Antonio, 50

9. 9 Chris Hansen, Converse, 49

10. 13 George Lucas, Canyon Lake, 49

11. 22 Rodney Rodriguez, Lockhart, 49

12. 31 Keith Garrett, New Braunfels, 49

13. 45 Clare Randell, Corpus Christi, 49

14. 3 Gregg Godfrey, Corpus Christi, 49

15. 88 Robert Jacks, Corpus Christi, 47

16. 68 Royce Hawkins, Devine, 42

17. 44 James Clark, San Antonio, 42

18. 00 George Reyes, San Antonio, 22

19. 2 Gus DeLeon, San Antonio, 21

20. 74 Jay Simon, Lakeway, 21

21. 23 Wes Ahl, Wimberly, 20

22. 20 Kenny Hurley, San Antonio, 11

23. 05 Colt James. Buda, 10

24. 27 Eric Knudtson, Boerne, 5

25. 40 Todd DeMarais, San Antonio, 1

DNS 57 John Kelly, Lavernia

Due to the comments I heard saying that the hobby stocks were invited just for a car count to run with there Street stocks It really did not matter. This was such a blast going that fast through the corners and down the straight aways words can not express what the feeling was. I was lapped on lap 20 and only made one more lap before seeing the black flag due to an oil leak from the rear of the intake I can not wait to put on my pure stock tires and go racing this next weekend there. I give it to the officials there they made me feel very welcomed, We I had a question they answered it when I had a problem they checked on what happened. I just wanted to say GOOD JOB and THANK YOU. SEE YOU NEXT WEEKEND.

Jay Simon

Jay ,, sounds like you liked that track, think maybe you will tow there next year? I was under water in florida getting married or I would have been there with you guys, Are you racing this weekend ? the 11th? let me know Id like to pit your car.... If the wife will let me lolol.... see ya Red Shark Racing # 15

Great Job by all the drivers from THR CC and SAS it was great to see the difference's in cars and different lines that were tried to run and sorry again Jay that you got stuck with those guys with your Pure Stock car you still did very well in your car so you should be fast in the Roadrunners. I would have liked to have seen more THR guys come down and Corpus Guys come up but hey you cant ask for everything. Hope to see all of you back again soon.

Hey shark, Congrats and good luck I will be racing the 11th down there so come on down and to your other question will I run there next year? This is very possible if I can find a Sponsor for once..lol The cost to run is about twice as much down in San Antonio then it was running at kyle. SAS that is ok we all had a blast. Yes my car is still a Pure Stock and I will be there to run has anybody hear how many cars are expected in the roadrunners yet SAS?

Archived