Interesting news from the upper Midwest..

1-Crew

sort of what j&s has in mind ..like we all have said ..got to do something more family friendly .... cant just have mickey mouse now .to many other ventures out there taken fans away ..have to grow and add things to do ...... a fun park sort of thing ....just takes someone willing to spend the money and time to take a chance .. if i had it i would ..;poeple are starving for something new ..get those kids away from playstations and such ..

Please look at the date on the article... June 11, 2004. You will be glad it didn't happen in Texas.

Everyone here in NE Ohio was very excited when Racetown purchased Lorain County Speedway. From a creature-comfort standpoint, they made many improvements to an already great facility, but they had issues operationally almost from the start. Not to get into any of the issues here, but with all the racing choices we have here in NE Ohio on Saturday nights, drivers and fans left for other tracks. Racetown dropped the Super Late Models at the beginning of the 2006 season, and closed mid way through the season, with Racetown filing bankruptcy.

The former owners (prior to Racetown) purchased the track and reopened it for a season-ending big race in October and had a record turnout of cars and fans. To my knowledge, this is the only speedway in the US that closed last season, that has reopened.

So, while they were developers, Racetown didn't have experience in operating a track, which caught up with them in the end when the cash ran out.

Archived