Talk about Potential!

Lucky161

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

maybe we should help some of these other racers, a lot of them don't even know how to get a sponsor, and in other cases, some racecar driver or owner has already went to john does parts house, got his sponsorship and drop the ball not taking care of the business part, you can't just put a sponsors name on your car and think you've done your job, and worst than that, the ones that take the money and don't ever race. that would leave a bitter taste in my mouth. a lot of these sponsors go by past experiences. if you get a sponsor, earn what they do for you, you never know what may be in store for the future. if your not sure on how to get a sponsor, email or call me, i'll be glad to help. if the tracks need help, i'll be there, why? because i want a good place to race!!! del

maybe we should help some of these other racers, a lot of them don't even know how to get a sponsor, and in other cases, some racecar driver or owner has already went to john does parts house, got his sponsorship and drop the ball not taking care of the business part, you can't just put a sponsors name on your car and think you've done your job, and worst than that, the ones that take the money and don't ever race. that would leave a bitter taste in my mouth. a lot of these sponsors go by past experiences. if you get a sponsor, earn what they do for you, you never know what may be in store for the future. if your not sure on how to get a sponsor, email or call me, i'll be glad to help. if the tracks need help, i'll be there, why? because i want a good place to race!!! del

THAT IS ONE REASON WE HAVE NOT RACED THIS YEAR .WE DID NOT GO AFTER SPONSORS. WAS NOT SURE IF WE WANTED TO RACE . SO BEST NOT TAKE THIER MONEY IF WE ARE NOT GOING TO RUN MUCH ..SO EVERYTHING WE DO THIS YEAR WILL BE OUT OF POCKET NATIONAL BANK ..SO FOR THIS YEAR 500 DALLORS SPENT AND HAVENT TURNED ONE LAP .AND STILL GOING TO HAVE TO SPEND THAT MUCH AND MORE TO FINALY PUT BOTH CARS OUT .. SHOOT JUST TIRES FOR KYLE WILL BE OVER 400 ..NOT COUNTING 200 MORE OR SO TO MAKE THE TRIP .. BUT NO SPONSORS MAD AT US ...DONT LIKE BEING PART OF THAT NO SHOW TAKE THE MONEY GANG .....DONT WANT TO RUIN IT FOR OTHERS ..

THAT IS ONE REASON WE HAVE NOT RACED THIS YEAR .WE DID NOT GO AFTER SPONSORS. WAS NOT SURE IF WE WANTED TO RACE . SO BEST NOT TAKE THIER MONEY IF WE ARE NOT GOING TO RUN MUCH ..SO EVERYTHING WE DO THIS YEAR WILL BE OUT OF POCKET NATIONAL BANK ..SO FOR THIS YEAR 500 DALLORS SPENT AND HAVENT TURNED ONE LAP .AND STILL GOING TO HAVE TO SPEND THAT MUCH AND MORE TO FINALY PUT BOTH CARS OUT .. SHOOT JUST TIRES FOR KYLE WILL BE OVER 400 ..NOT COUNTING 200 MORE OR SO TO MAKE THE TRIP .. BUT NO SPONSORS MAD AT US ...DONT LIKE BEING PART OF THAT NO SHOW TAKE THE MONEY GANG .....DONT WANT TO RUIN IT FOR OTHERS ..

Better to undersell and overdeliver than to do the opposite.

Guys,

This is what we do. We go out and put our cars on Display at local businesses. We let the kids get in and out of the cars, we talk to them, sign autographs, and give away tickets. Lets go out and get some racing fans!!!

Arthur

We ("we" being K-MAC Sports, Austin Mobile Marine and Gen-Tech RV Generators) tried to do this - I even had a post on TXSZ, asking folks to give me some names of some businesses in their area where we could display cars and be around kids and adults, but got no response to my request.

We had the perfect opportunity last weekend - the Western Days Festival in Elgin, complete with display area and parade. No one responded.

Maybe it's me...but K-MAC Sports, Austin Mobile Marine and Gen-Tech RV Generators are still willing do to these "car appearances" if we ever hear from anyone.

Both myself anf Mel Krauss have tried to really bump up support for racers to show at the Schertz 4th of july parade the last 2 years and all I remember seeing was a few Allison cars and Kiss Racing's Truck (Technically I didn't get to see the truck, they overheated and pulled out of the parade before it got to me :) ) Thanks direct-flo, mel, mark and joe

Guys need to get out there. There are tons of nascar fans out in this area and no one is doing the slow, steady, monotonous type marketing it takes to get them to the track. Its not the splash you need. Its the putting cars in the people's faces every day over and over until they can't help but wake up one morning with the epiphany that, "Hey there are race cars around here, maybe that means that there is a track". Sounds overly simplistic but that's the way people think.

My car is entered in this years Schertz Parade. We were in it year before last, last year we missed it. Spent last years 4th in Hawaii.

Sorry I forgot about you Mike. But thats what happens when you get your prioritie out of whack and do stuff like take the family on vacation to Hawaii instead of handling your racing obligations. See you could have gone to Hawaii anytime, its always summertime there. :lol:

Chuck,

If you have one person organizing it, ande it doesn't work, maybe use some type of incentive. I have scheduled 6 in the last 2 months, only have done 3. I have one this Saturday that I can't attend, but others are going for me. If you can't get cooperation. talk to the track and see if they will give you free testing passes for those who attend. sometimes it takes a little incentive. So far, I have had lots of drivers respond and step up to the plate. I am lucky to have the kind of driver support that I do, without these guys, what I am doing would not work. Don't give up after 1 try, just keep doing it. Talk to drivers at the track, get phone numbers, call them direct. I call my drivers and they tell me yes or no, they know if they can't make it, I am not going to be mad, because there will be others to come. If you have any questions, call me at 281-541-1301. You can catch me up to 11PM. I enjoy talking about this stuff and racing. Between 7 and 11 is the best time, free airtime on my cell. During the day, I may not be able to talk as long because I am at work.

Arthur

o.k. guy's, there is a good responce here, if you guy's are willing to do your part and promote racing, then the next step to helping you do this is to get with the track owners/promoters, tell them your plan, have them do their part by getting you the material about the track, schedule, special events, different type cars running, and if they can spare any give away grandstand tickets maybe even 1/2 price tickets or one free with purchace of another, basically if you are promoting your car, you want to promote the track also. if you put forth this effort, i can't believe that the track would not do their part, it takes both for a show!!! del ------p.s. fliers and posters work real good for this and also if you have pictures to give away to the kids with your autograph, now you will have a fan base at the track, believe me and authur, this works!!!

We know it works,but the problem is getting the drivers/car owners to cooperate.

Chuck as been doing this for a long time it is not his first attempt,and he is a promoter

for Thunderhill.Until the drivers/car owners help out it is a defeated effort I know

from first hand.I have been on both sides and know what it takes.

SSChuck,

Well, I guess the last few comments have proven one fact. HMP drivers are the better drivers, at least off the track. I don't have problems getting any of my drivers, from bando drivers to late model drivers whenever I need them. Lets see if you THR drivers can top the HMP drivers. We will be putting on Displays, minimum 2 times a month with 3-8 cars per display.

Arthur

this post can't be anything but good for all of us, i just wish we could here from some of the track owners or promoters / tech about what they think or are looking for from us to help with their goals, their idea's are as important to us as ours is to them. if you have 100 cars that race on a regular basis with at least one crew member and three fans in the croud ( let alone the extra's in the pits ), looks like to me, you could reach one % of 21,000,000 people ( according to txtransathor. ) in texas, to come out and watch racing, trouble is, they just don't know about us!!! the only way of them finding out, the racers and owners, i'm doing my part, are you doing yours? del

Hell Pro,nothing I'd probably have to say would be of any interest to anybody around here,I'm not a racer,I'm learning though-lol.

That doesn't mean your ideas aren't wanted. Everyone can bring something to this discussion.

this post can't be anything but good for all of us, i just wish we could here from some of the track owners or promoters / tech about what they think or are looking for from us to help with their goals, their idea's are as important to us as ours is to them. if you have 100 cars that race on a regular basis with at least one crew member and three fans in the croud ( let alone the extra's in the pits ), looks like to me, you could reach one % of 21,000,000 people ( according to txtransathor. ) in texas, to come out and watch racing, trouble is, they just don't know about us!!! the only way of them finding out, the racers and owners, i'm doing my part, are you doing yours? del

I would be surprised if track owners etc are not keeping an eye on this thread. They may be reluctant to post on it for fear of getting things stirred up or just because they want to see what we have to say without any interference from them. Frankly after finding this site, I was very pleasantly surprised to see the amount of activity from the track owners/promoters. That's a great sign that they care a lot.

Lucky,I was saying that as a joke.I make a living in racing.I'm lucky enough to travel around to different states and tracks,work about 160 races a year,and get paid.When I'm not on the road,I work for a local track.I been around racing for 41 years and worked my up from the bottom and have seen just about everything.When I did have my own racecars,I can tell you I had more sponsors than most drivers because i went looking for them and promoted myself.You have to sell yourself before you can sell somebody else,and I had a sponsor for just about everything I used.For several years I had a signed exclusive products contract with Pennzoil/Gumout.I can always look back and say that when I did race,I spent very little of my own money to do it.

Lucky,I was saying that as a joke.I make a living in racing.I'm lucky enough to travel around to different states and tracks,work about 160 races a year,and get paid.When I'm not on the road,I work for a local track.I been around racing for 41 years and worked my up from the bottom and have seen just about everything.When I did have my own racecars,I can tell you I had more sponsors than most drivers because i went looking for them and promoted myself.You have to sell yourself before you can sell somebody else,and I had a sponsor for just about everything I used.For several years I had a signed exclusive products contract with Pennzoil/Gumout.I can always look back and say that when I did race,I spent very little of my own money to do it.

Well, that was what I was thinking, but as I am new here, I thought I must have gotten you confused with someone else. Good thing making mistakes doesn't embarrass me much.

i'm hoping they do, were trying to be productive for their benifit as much as our own, we want to have a place to race, they want a lot of cars and fans. on this subject ( post ), we were discussing what we can do to help the tracks or promoters to better the local racing industry, we are looking for new idea's, do you have one? thanks!!! del

Has any tracks tried donating race tickets to radio stations,chamber of commerce,rotory club,lodges etc.They can use them for give aways.Maybe some general admission ticket give aways at these car showings.I know tracks might not be wanting to give away tickets but if they would look at the big picture(concession sales,new blood,track awarness)it would probably be a good investment.The tickets would do the racer no good being general admission so the track promoters would'nt have to worry about them falling into the wrong hands.At least try it for a few races and if it don't work what have you lost?Not much!!!!!

Landlord-

Radio stations cherge huge fees to give away free tickets, but, yes, the track and series owners need to be promoters and one good way is to have free or reduced-price tickets available for teams to give away at personal appearances. To build the crowds, we have to reach those in San Antonio, Austin, Houston and so on who don't even know there is a track in the area, let alone what goes on there.

Consider how YOU would even know about races, dates and times without Speedzone. And, as Speedzone has only a relatively small number of viewers and posters, we're not reaching those who might be new fans if only they knew.

Since I started this deal, we have given nearly 300 tickets away. Graham has been very generous in giving me what I need to promote. I have 25 tickets to give away tomorrow. And lots of flyers that have our schedule, a map, and pictures of several classes. Its just a matter of getting people to the places to give them away. I can't make it all the time, but I can try to organize as many as I can.

Unless someone has some very inside connections, radio station "giveaways" a far from free. They basically charge the same (or more in some cases) as regular radio air time.

Radio advertising is usually only effective if there is massive ad campaign where the airwaves are saturated with the ad. Spots here and there are very, well...spotty.

A much more effective way to give tickets away is through the elementary and Jr. High schools. Almost always you have to provide some very valuable service to the school, such as make a Career Day presentation to a whole lot of classes at that particular school. When you fire up the engine during recess or lunch, the whole school comes over or crowd around the school windows. The principal then distributes the free tickets to the students as a reward for good behavior, good grades, etc.

Of course, this means a full morning or afternoon at a school, but when I did it for SAS back in the 90's it was effective.

Nick

Archived