Talk about Potential!

Lucky161

I was just looking at the ariel view of SAS. I was suprised to see how small the stands were. I don't know what the capacity at the track was, but it's not a huge number based on the stands. I've been there when they were full for ALLPRO races. I don't know how full they were for weekly races, but even if they were full, that's not a lot to brag about. And for many years it was a successful track. That's the good news. It doesn't take a whole lot of people for a track to be successful. On the other hand, we as race fans, racers and promoters should be at least a little ashamed that we weren't able to do better, much better in fact.

For comparison, take Bristol, TN. Attendance 135,000+ twice a year. I am not sure how full they get for their 2 BGN races, but it's a lot. Now they didn't start out with crowds like that, but they built their fan base to the point that Bristol Cup tickets are the hardest to get on the entire circuit. And the city of Bristol is NOT that big. Of the top 50 cities in the US, they aren't there. In fact Memphis and Nashville are only the 17th and 28th biggest and they aren't all that close in distance to Bristol.

Now, let's look in Texas. Houston 4, 2 million pop, SA 7, 1.25 million pop, Dallas 9, 1.2 million pop, Austin 16, 690K pop, Fort Worth 19, 625K pop and El Paso 21, 600K pop. Even Arlington comes in at number 50 with 362K pop. That's a lot of people. And true Texas is a huge state geographically, but still Austin, SA and Houston are not terribly far away from each other. Perhaps you don't get many coming from those towns to watch a weekly show, but special shows should draw from those areas. And it's not like all three of them don't have a huge population of their own. Taken together, it's a pop of 4 millon and that doesn't even count the suburbs of any of them. Dallas and Fort Worth are even worse. Much closer together, only 30 miles from city hall to city hall and nearly 2 million pop. Including the suburbs it's more like 4 million. So what if we could get 10% at a weekly show? 400k? Ok, that's almost laughable. How about 1%? That's not a lot to ask is it? Just one little percent. A crowd of 40K for weekly shows. Anybody seen that? I understand that Soldier Field in Chicago might have had regular crowds of close to 100K back in the day, but they don't get anything like that anymore. Well actually they do for football, just not racing.

The point of all this gloom and doom is not to place the blame on anyone. We all do and did what we could under the circumstances.Just a mere 2% would make traffic nightmares only experienced by TMS. Wouldn't that be a wonderful problem for all of us to have to put up with? Ball Park Franks would have to change their name to Racetrack Franks! The POTENTIAL is absolutely tremendous! What if we had a common goal of getting just 1% of our population to weekly shows and 2% for special events?

We would have to work together and separately. Share ideas and knowledge. Use synergy, you know, the sum of the parts together is more than the sum of the parts separately. We'd need some new tracks and thankfully there are some in the works. And we would need to support the existing ones the best that we can. Bristol is just one example of proof that it can be done. Consider the Copper World Classic, Snowball Derby and the Chili Bowl. All of these are off season events, but they have been hugely popular with fans and racers and anything that is huge for fans and racers can't help but be a delight for promoters. With our weather, why shouldn't Texas be the place that all racers and race fans want to be at least a few times a year?

Rome wasn't built in a day, but it WAS built. Think about it.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WITH ALL THE THREADS ON HOW TO GET FANS IN THE STANDS .AND SOME OF THE IDEALS BEING DONE .WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO.GET FANS OUT ..WHAT CAN BE DONE MORE THATS THE BIG QUESTION ..ITS GOING TO TAKE ALOT OF WORK FROM PROMOTERS AND DRIVERS . FOR SOME REASON WE ARE NOT CONVINCING FANS RACEN IS THE PLACE TO BE ..THE BIGGEST PROBLEM IS ALL THE OTHER ACTIVITYS OUT SIDE OF RACEN ..BASE BALL .BASKET BALL .FOOTBALL ..WE HAVE CRASHED IN REACHING OUT TO THOSE FANS ..WHY .. BEATS ME ..OTHER THAN WE HAVE TO GET OUT AND BE SEEN MORE ..MAKE THE TRACKS MORE FAMILY FRIENDLY .GIVE THEM SOMETHING MORE THAN JUST CARS GOING IN A CIRCLE ... TRACKS SHOULD BE OPEN TO IDEALS AND SUCH TO OPEN UP DUREING OFF SEASON FOR SPECIAL EVENTS ..BEING CAR SHOWS ...AND WHAT NOTS ..BBQ COOK OFFS ... MUSIC ..JUST ANYTHING TO GET POEPLE OUT ....IN OFF SEASON MAY GET THEM IN ON SEASON ..WHO KNOWS IT CANT HURT ..I GET TO TALK TO PEOPLE WHERE I WORK AND ALL I CAN GIVE THEM IS WE RACE CARS ... I DONT MEAN THAT TO SOUND BORING THATS WHAT WE ARE ABOULT .. REALLY NOTHING MORE TO GIVE THEM TO SAY HEY THATS A NEAT PLACE TO TAKE MY KIDS ..YOU GET THE KIDS YOU WILL GET THE PARENTS ..PERIOD ..

With all the asphalt tracks being in the larger cities that have several different sporting venues along with all the parks and such. Would it be better to build a track in a smaller city(Bryan, Waco, tyler, etc, etc) where theres not as much to do?

With all the asphalt tracks being in the larger cities that have several different sporting venues along with all the parks and such. Would it be better to build a track in a smaller city(Bryan, Waco, tyler, etc, etc) where theres not as much to do?

I don't know the answer. I am not sure if anyone does either, but hopefully someone really does. What you are describing is what I call the Altus effect. Back when both Lubbock and Amarillo (not to mention, Abilene and Odessa) still had paved tracks, we often went to Altus, particularly for special shows. Now both Amarillo and Lubbock are decent sized cities (over 100K) and Altus is a small town, yet Altus regularly had crowds as good or better than either Lubbock or Amarillo.

I guess you could say the same thing about Bristol, but then again Bristol is in a class by itself these days. What did they do to grow it? I'm not sure about that either, but I do know they didn't always get crowds like they do now.

As you say, the smaller towns don't have as much competition from major league sports and that is certainly something to think about. On the other hand, how's San Antonio's and Austin's major league baseball teams doing? Whoops, must not be that, at least not for those cities. And probably more competition is caused by cable TV and that affects everyone small and large.

Again, I don't have the answers and I might not even have the right questions, but I am doing what I can.

WITH ALL THE THREADS ON HOW TO GET FANS IN THE STANDS .AND SOME OF THE IDEALS BEING DONE .WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO.GET FANS OUT ..WHAT CAN BE DONE MORE THATS THE BIG QUESTION ..ITS GOING TO TAKE ALOT OF WORK FROM PROMOTERS AND DRIVERS . FOR SOME REASON WE ARE NOT CONVINCING FANS RACEN IS THE PLACE TO BE ..THE BIGGEST PROBLEM IS ALL THE OTHER ACTIVITYS OUT SIDE OF RACEN ..BASE BALL .BASKET BALL .FOOTBALL ..WE HAVE CRASHED IN REACHING OUT TO THOSE FANS ..WHY .. BEATS ME ..OTHER THAN WE HAVE TO GET OUT AND BE SEEN MORE ..MAKE THE TRACKS MORE FAMILY FRIENDLY .GIVE THEM SOMETHING MORE THAN JUST CARS GOING IN A CIRCLE ... TRACKS SHOULD BE OPEN TO IDEALS AND SUCH TO OPEN UP DUREING OFF SEASON FOR SPECIAL EVENTS ..BEING CAR SHOWS ...AND WHAT NOTS ..BBQ COOK OFFS ... MUSIC ..JUST ANYTHING TO GET POEPLE OUT ....IN OFF SEASON MAY GET THEM IN ON SEASON ..WHO KNOWS IT CANT HURT ..I GET TO TALK TO PEOPLE WHERE I WORK AND ALL I CAN GIVE THEM IS WE RACE CARS ... I DONT MEAN THAT TO SOUND BORING THATS WHAT WE ARE ABOULT .. REALLY NOTHING MORE TO GIVE THEM TO SAY HEY THATS A NEAT PLACE TO TAKE MY KIDS ..YOU GET THE KIDS YOU WILL GET THE PARENTS ..PERIOD ..

Good ideas and don't worry about being boring. Boring probably needs to be done just as much as flashy.

Bristol is NA$CAR, hell we've made that trip several times in august. Different type of animal... A small town like I live in, you have to travel at least 45 minutes to do anything. the larger towns around us have little to offer, restaurants and movies thats it so the track would see us alot. I know if I lived within 30-45 minutes from Austin, Houston or DFW, we wouldnt go to the races every other weekend, theres just to much other stuff the kids would want to do.

I was raised in the south.In the Northeast section of Alabama.It takes you 15 minutes to be in Geogia and a little over an hour to be in Tenn from my mom's house.You were raised in the culture of the sport from a very young age.The South is known for the birth of Stock Car Racing.The towns were small and close to each other and each one had their local racers and tracks.I went to school with kids,(even the Grissom's,and Steve won a Busch Title,started right at the small home track),that had dad's,uncle's cousin's that all raced something.As little kids growing up in a small town,the area race track was your only major entertainment,and most all the families went to the races.It goes back generations and continues,and most of those families never leave the area from birth till they die. When you live in the South and hear the mention of Texas,the first thing you think of is Cowboys and Rodeo's.We didnt associate Texas and racing together,that was a Southern thing.The problem seems a vast,vast majority of Texans weren't raised in short track racing and the sport is still being sold to them,and when they have only seen Nascar on TV, and expect alot,it's tough to sell.

i'm not sure what it would take to even halfway fillup the stands at a track any more but i think oldtimer is right about getting the kiddo's, as growing up from playland park and meyer speedway, in that era, the stands were packed every week for year on year. they always had something for the kids to do, or a playground for thier intrest, with all the families involved. the problem i think now days is that, to many divorces that devide the family, dad goes and does his thing, while mom has to figure out what she can do to make sure she can raise the kiddo's muchless, trying to get them involved in some kind of sport, that is why a lot of the schools have different programs now such as: baseball, football, socker, the list goes on, but do you see any race tracks, drivers, promoters, etc. going to the school district to have a display of racecars or a program where the track gives out tickets for kids making passing grades? we as racers, promoters, owners, or whatever, in the racing industry, have got to get a program togther that will promote our business at the school level. we could have mini camp for pit crews, and as they get older, put them in a pit crew while thier in high school, it keeps them off the streets and into something productive, not out getting drunk or doing drugs. we are the ones that should be mentors, as we are being mentors, we not only build our fan base, but now we are involve in our local school academic program, building greater minds, doing what little boy's and girl's like because now they are involved and we get the kiddo's family involved. some of these people ( parents ) are going to feel that they can't do this because they can't afford it, that is where either the track or a owner or driver should step up to the plate and help that family. bye the way, i know that track concession's have to make money, but in GOD'S tarnation, can someone please tell me WHY a soda or drinking water cost $2.00, at meyer speedway, they had a water fountain? some of the general public cannot afford to bring a family of 4 kiddo's + mom and dad to the track, especially if dad goes into the pits, dont expect the whole family to go into the pits. there are other areas that can be improved at most tracks that would be very inexpensive, as racer and a born and raised fan of the sport all my life, i will do my part to make sure that the kidd's of tomarrow and me can enjoy what we love, del harris

Bristol is NA$CAR, hell we've made that trip several times in august. Different type of animal... A small town like I live in, you have to travel at least 45 minutes to do anything. the larger towns around us have little to offer, restaurants and movies thats it so the track would see us alot. I know if I lived within 30-45 minutes from Austin, Houston or DFW, we wouldnt go to the races every other weekend, theres just to much other stuff the kids would want to do.

First let me say that if I say anything that is different to what you say, I am not saying you are wrong and I am right. I might not be correct. Anyway I don't think there are a lot of right and wrong answers.

Bristol is nascar? Sure is. But as I said earlier, Bristol did not always have 135K+. They built it up from a much smaller number. I don't remember what that was, but it was much smaller. You've made the trip several times from Texas? That says you are not part of the local fan base. I've driven from Lubbock to Knoxville TN, nearly as far to see the NDRA race on dirt. But you and I are obviously not the potential fans I am speaking about, we're already fans.

The small town you live in doesnt' have anything to do within 45 minutes, so you go to the track a lot? How many other people in your town go to the track? What kind of percentages are we looking at" Is the track winning against the restaurants and movies, or at least getting a good share of the entertainment dollar? People can go to restaurants and movies during the week, but the races are usually just on weekends. I have no doubt that kids can have lots of other interests, but most of the people I am talking about haven't EVER been to the races. If they had, we'd be having trouble finding a seat at the races.

It's already been suggested that perhaps a good strategy is to locate tracks in smaller towns for many of the same reasons you are suggesting. Maybe that is the answer. I just don't know. (I noticed that you are the one that suggested that and it may still be the answer.)

I was raised in the south.In the Northeast section of Alabama.It takes you 15 minutes to be in Geogia and a little over an hour to be in Tenn from my mom's house.You were raised in the culture of the sport from a very young age.The South is known for the birth of Stock Car Racing.The towns were small and close to each other and each one had their local racers and tracks.I went to school with kids,(even the Grissom's,and Steve won a Busch Title,started right at the small home track),that had dad's,uncle's cousin's that all raced something.As little kids growing up in a small town,the area race track was your only major entertainment,and most all the families went to the races.It goes back generations and continues,and most of those families never leave the area from birth till they die. When you live in the South and hear the mention of Texas,the first thing you think of is Cowboys and Rodeo's.We didnt associate Texas and racing together,that was a Southern thing.The problem seems a vast,vast majority of Texans weren't raised in short track racing and the sport is still being sold to them,and when they have only seen Nascar on TV, and expect alot,it's tough to sell.

I've been to Knoxville and I know what you mean about being able to go to several states nearby. Butt hat means you also know that those aren't the best roads in the world either. We stayed in Pidgeon Forge and it was only 35 miles away from Marysville where the track was located. It took an hour and a quarter to get there. I've never seen so many twists and turns in my life. All that you say about the lifestyle is true. The problem is as I keep pointing out, Bristol didn't always get attendance like it does today.

Texas and you think of rodeos and cowboys? I've been to a few rodeos. Most have crowds smaller than the races get. True some get awesome crowds, but most don't. Probably the only quicker road to the poor house than racing is rodeoing. And the very fact that most Texas weren't raised in short track racing is exactly what I am talking about, potential. It doesn't take much of a marketing whiz to get me or you to the race track. Just tell us when and where. It's the other 99.5% that weren't raised in racing that I think we should be trying to get. It's a hard sell? I don't know. If they like racing on TV, don't you think they would like racing in person even better? I know I sure do. I love big time racing, but I like short track racing even better for a number of reasons. Racing on TV. I don't know how old you are, but I remember watch Wide World of Sports twice a year to get to see about 15 minutes of racing on TV. Racing made ESPN. Racing made the Nashville Network. And those new racing fans for the most part have not been reached by the short tracks. There's got to be a way to do that.

i'm not sure what it would take to even halfway fillup the stands at a track any more but i think oldtimer is right about getting the kiddo's, as growing up from playland park and meyer speedway, in that era, the stands were packed every week for year on year. they always had something for the kids to do, or a playground for thier intrest, with all the families involved. the problem i think now days is that, to many divorces that devide the family, dad goes and does his thing, while mom has to figure out what she can do to make sure she can raise the kiddo's muchless, trying to get them involved in some kind of sport, that is why a lot of the schools have different programs now such as: baseball, football, socker, the list goes on, but do you see any race tracks, drivers, promoters, etc. going to the school district to have a display of racecars or a program where the track gives out tickets for kids making passing grades? we as racers, promoters, owners, or whatever, in the racing industry, have got to get a program togther that will promote our business at the school level. we could have mini camp for pit crews, and as they get older, put them in a pit crew while thier in high school, it keeps them off the streets and into something productive, not out getting drunk or doing drugs. we are the ones that should be mentors, as we are being mentors, we not only build our fan base, but now we are involve in our local school academic program, building greater minds, doing what little boy's and girl's like because now they are involved and we get the kiddo's family involved. some of these people ( parents ) are going to feel that they can't do this because they can't afford it, that is where either the track or a owner or driver should step up to the plate and help that family. bye the way, i know that track concession's have to make money, but in GOD'S tarnation, can someone please tell me WHY a soda or drinking water cost $2.00, at meyer speedway, they had a water fountain? some of the general public cannot afford to bring a family of 4 kiddo's + mom and dad to the track, especially if dad goes into the pits, dont expect the whole family to go into the pits. there are other areas that can be improved at most tracks that would be very inexpensive, as racer and a born and raised fan of the sport all my life, i will do my part to make sure that the kidd's of tomarrow and me can enjoy what we love, del harris

I think you've got some great ideas. One thing I've noticed that several of you probably have too is that a good portion of us that are rabid about racing grew up around it. Getting kids involved early seems to be an important thing. If the kids want to go, the parents will be there too. Maybe a track could invite a nursery school, kids, employees, parents and all out for a night of racing? Work something out to provide care for the little ones and let the older kids enjoy the show. Have some of the teenage regulars act as guides to answer questions.

WHEN I WAS SEVEN YEARS OLD WE STOPED AT A GAS STATION AND A MAN WAS WORKING ON A RACE CAR .BEING THEN A COUP .. DAD LET US GET OUT AND TOUCH IT .WE HAD NEVER SEEN ONE BEFORE AND WERE JUST AMAZED .. THIS MAN ASKED US TO COME OUT TO CC SPPEDWAY AND WATCH THE RACES .WE 4 BOYS DROVE THEM NUTS WANTING TO GO ..AND WENT OUT THE NEXT YEAR .AND I HAVE BEEN GOING SENCE ..IM 51 YEARS OLD NOW SO IVE SEEN A FEW IN THOSE YEARS .AND ALWAYS WANTED TO RACE .WELL DUREING THE LATE 70.S AND EARLY 80.S I KINDA GOT AWAY FROM IT .WORKING IN THE OIL FIELD ..BUT IT NEVER REALLY LEFT MY MIND ..AND IN 83 I TOOK MY THEN GIRLFRIEND OUT TO CC SPEEDWAY AND HAVE NEVER LOOKED BACK SENCE THEN . LUCKY FOR ME SHE LOVED IT ..AND I WAS ABLE TO RACE MY OWN CARS FOR THREE YEARS .WHILE SHE SCORED AT CC FOR MANY YEARS AND A YEAR OR SO AT SAS ..SOOOO WHATS THE MEANING OF THIS STORY ...

Oldtimer is only 51 years old......doesn't even qualify for the senior discount.

Larry,

But he obviously has learned a tremendous amount about .... well... err... um... Well... ah... There must be something! LOL

Nick

Oldtimer is only 51 years old......doesn't even qualify for the senior discount.

Larry,

But he obviously has learned a tremendous amount about .... well... err... um... Well... ah... There must be something! LOL

Nick

THATS FUNNY .. I LEARNED I LOVE RACEN ...OF YOU TWO KNUCKLEHEADS .BRAD HAS THE CORRECT ANSWER TO MY POINT ..WAY TO GO BRAD YOU SEEM TO BE THE BRIGHT ONE TODAY ..

WHEN I WAS SEVEN YEARS OLD WE STOPED AT A GAS STATION AND A MAN WAS WORKING ON A RACE CAR .BEING THEN A COUP .. DAD LET US GET OUT AND TOUCH IT .WE HAD NEVER SEEN ONE BEFORE AND WERE JUST AMAZED .. THIS MAN ASKED US TO COME OUT TO CC SPPEDWAY AND WATCH THE RACES .WE 4 BOYS DROVE THEM NUTS WANTING TO GO ..AND WENT OUT THE NEXT YEAR .AND I HAVE BEEN GOING SENCE ..IM 51 YEARS OLD NOW SO IVE SEEN A FEW IN THOSE YEARS .AND ALWAYS WANTED TO RACE .WELL DUREING THE LATE 70.S AND EARLY 80.S I KINDA GOT AWAY FROM IT .WORKING IN THE OIL FIELD ..BUT IT NEVER REALLY LEFT MY MIND ..AND IN 83 I TOOK MY THEN GIRLFRIEND OUT TO CC SPEEDWAY AND HAVE NEVER LOOKED BACK SENCE THEN . LUCKY FOR ME SHE LOVED IT ..AND I WAS ABLE TO RACE MY OWN CARS FOR THREE YEARS .WHILE SHE SCORED AT CC FOR MANY YEARS AND A YEAR OR SO AT SAS ..SOOOO WHATS THE MEANING OF THIS STORY ...

That's one of the reasons I don't like enclosed trailers. To kids an enclosed trailer may as well be a landscaping company. But when kids see a race car on an open trailer, it doesn't even really need a sign saying "follow me to the races at........"

my idea's is just one opinion, as many of you that have or has grown up in racing, have idea's also, if we didn't, there wouldn't even be racecars. with that in mind, if all of us put our idea's together, maybe step out on a limb, there's no telling where we may go. i just know that we're not the problem unless we don't do our part which should be what ever it takes, not only to help the tracks, but to help the future of racing itself. some of us are reaching the age of racing in the pearly circle, while a majority of us is at our prime, i get tired of watching the news and seeing where we lost another high school graduate because of party's in a parking lot on friday or saturday night, i see teams like the bumbarras with kristen at the track and wish i could do something else to get more of the children involved. gentleman, we have got to become promoters ourselves and mentors, it's like candy to a baby, when you get these kid's involved with racing and let them be a part of it, i believe with all my heart that it would be a big difference, we have to find ways to get them involved, bottom line!!! del

Guys,

This is what we do. We go out and put our cars on Display at local businesses. We let the kids get in and out of the cars, we talk to them, sign autographs, and give away tickets. Graham at HMP has been very generous in giving us things to give away. He knows that the cost of what we are doing is minimal(giving free tickets and printing flyers) compared to the return. The value of having cars out at businesses on display out weighs the TV ads, radio ads, internet, etc. We hit new people as well as already loyal fans. I gave 4 tickets to a guy at Hooters a few weeks back. Last race, I got a call at 9am on Saturday morning. This guy called me to thank me for talking to kis grandkids and giving him tickets. He told me he would not be able to use the tickets because his kids didn't want to sit in the stands, they wanted to see the cars up close and personal. He was bringing 6 kids, as well as himself, and buying pit passes. We rained out, you can bet that I have his number still and will be calling him to come to the races next race. I am going to make them my Honorary Pit Crew(six pack) and let them hang out. This kind of stuff gets people interested. they watch it on tv, but they don't know what REAL racing is and that it can be seen locally. I set up displays every week, sometimes I just can't get anyone out there, so I have to cancel. But even if you go out and do it by yourself, it will benefit everyone. I have even gotten sponsors by doing this. Everyone has ideas, none are right or wrong, but until you actually go out and do it, they are just ideas. Lets go out and get some racing fans!!!

Arthur you've been walking the walk for a while now and have proof that this sort of thing works. My dad is retired and still has the first brand new car he ever bought, a 53 Chevy. He restored it when he retired and now for several years goes to 2-3 local car shows a week. He has so many trophies that he literally gives them back to the people putting on the shows. These are parking lot shows for the most part, although he does enter his car in Super Chevy and the Auto Rama etc. too. But these parking lot shows are just small time deals. Most don't charge admission or if they do it's a canned good or something like that. They do have entry fees, but they are like $10. And I would bet that they would wave that if you told them that you didn't want to be entered for trophies etc. That would also allow you to pull out in time to get to the races without feeling guilty. Who goes to these car shows? Car nuts, of course. The same people that are interested in old/custom cars are also interested in race cars. Kids, you bet. Some have never seen a race car or been to the races. Parents. Yes, they are looking for a cheap/free way to entertain the kids. They take their kids to a free car show, see a race car and the next thing you know the whole family is in the stands at the races, maybe for the first time ever. Who else goes? How about former racers and race fans that got away from it for a while and then sort of forgot about racing. What better reminder can they get about the fun they used to have at the races.

Something that always bugged me was that the city fathers (and mothers) here in Fort Worth could just completely ignore auto racing, at least until TMS made the scene. The newspapers too. Now the newspaper has come around and they even have more than one racing writer. And they cover the local scene too. But on brochures etc. put out by the chamber of commerce you never see a word about local racing. There's all kinds of stuff about our art museums etc. And our art museums are world class, if you are into that kind of thing. And they list these as "things to do" in Fort Worth. Well I am not really into that kind of art, but I've been to them before and when they are "packed" there aren't 100 people in them. So what do we have to do in order to get on their radar? I know we'd have to clean the grease under our fingernails and comb our hair (those that still have hair), but racing is not an illegal activity. It's a legitimate form of entertainment enjoyed by a large number of people, just not enough.

authur, your right, i would also add that not everybody on this site has a racecar or is a driver of one, but we also have fans from the grandstands to that don't get to voice thier thoughts very often, this page gives them a place to give thier opinion also. racers generally know what racers want or the track owners want, but we also need to know what the fans want. taking or cars out to different businesses is a big step on our part to help promote the track, ourselves, and our sponsors, to get fans ( adult and children ), it is working real well, but there is so many people that we are missing, i don't have the solution and some of you probably do, so i'm sure your opinion is welcome on this subject for the track owners to view. some they have tried, they will know what work's if it's been tried, a lot of things just have not surfaced from idea's that anyone may have. to get there, you have to make a start somewhere, get in touch with your local track owner, discuss your idea, and take the steps to make it happen. most sponsors can't afford to advertize on a nascar, and how many of your john doe neighbors see half the sponsors on nascar's anyway. support your local retailer and maybe show off your car at their business on a special event, ask them if they have a special deal going on that they would like for you to bring your car out and set up to draw attention. you never know who may show up and want to sponsor your car or the business your at may want to theirself. my point about all of this is, to make racing a success, everyone has to do their part and it don't work just talking about it!!! del

Arthur, have you considered taking some flyers to your car shows that would explain and break down the costs for people interested in racing and/or sponsoring racing?

What I am thinking is something for potential sponsors that wouldn't just hit them in the face with "write me a check for $30K!" Something that would take that 30K and tell them what kind of car or race it would cover and then do some simple math for them. $30K is the cost. But that's only $2500 a month. Or that's only $600 a week.

Or for a sportsman, semi late, imca mod etc. say $12K. Only $1000 a month. or just $240 a week.

Those sound like big numbers and I have no doubt that a lot of racers would die for that much sponsor money, but you might be surprised at how many businesses and even some individuals that could easily handle that. And when you break it down further for them, it can get them thinking.

And put on there, that a tank of gas a week or $25 a week would even be welcomed. Enough of those add up too.

For the potential racers, basically the same thing, but perhaps pointed at partnerships. Can't afford 12K? Ok, could you and a buddy afford $6K each? Can't afford 12K? Maybe starting in a lower class would be best for you? How about $3 for a street stock.

For anyone that thinks I low balled their class, I don't know the names of your classes that well, so no need to hit me for saying your such and such is worth way more etc. I realize that. It's the concept I am talking about here, not firm figures.

hey lucky161, oldtimer, nick, and you other guy's, what happen to our conversation, i thought we were making progress. that stuff about s.a.s. is important news about the survival of a track, believe me , i know, i went through all of that when they closed hotrod hill because of noise. if they want it closed ( the officals ), it will be closed. if there is any hope and they don't close it forever, then the finger pointing has to stop and let whoever is going to promote it, go for the gusto, and help in the process to make it happen. i never hurd so much junk when hrh shut down that it was pathetic, people not even involved with being an offical of the track, let alone being a fan, was making negotive statements about everything, the thing is, none of them knew what they were talking about. i worked with wayne brown and helped to promote that track for 4 years, most people don't see behind the seens. i was the imca promoter, done the flaging for 2 years and the last 2 years promoted and teched, plus ran the show from the infield. if people only knew what it really takes just for racers and fans to have a good weekend!!! back to our other conversation, if these guys'or gal's put as much effort into being positive and helping their local track, there would be no post on this forum about problems at race tracks. think positive, actions speak louder than words. del

Lucky,

I break down my sponsorship proposal to a per race deal. I have a package that I give to potential sponsors that lays it all out, also talks about motorsports, the fans, the benefits and what I can do for them. I also emphasize that a sponsorship is a tool for their business. You can buy the biggest, baddest, autonailing hammer with a anti fatigue, massaging handle, but if you don't pick it up and actually use it, its as cheap as the $2 flea market slightly used hammer. My point is, I give them the oppurtunity to use me and my car in advertising any way they need to. I do my part on the track, on the way to and from, and at local showings. But to get the biggest impact, they need to use incorporate it into their advertising. I have a vendor that sends me a nice little sales bill every month. Use the race car in that sales bill, spice it up a little. ICI paints, another vendor, they use the Texas Motor Speedway Race as a promotion in their sales bill, its the Dickies 500, and they sell dickies painting clothes. These are things that catch peoples eyes. Our local big Furniture store, Gallery Furniture, did a commercial a few years ago. They bought Jeff Gordons Talladega winning car for $250K and used it in the commercial, with the motor running. You could not hear a word he said, they had a teleprompter at the bottom of the screen. But people flocked over to see the car. It is still there, inside the store. But it is a commercial lots of people remember and us race fans are loyal to those who support racing, so we might go over there to look at furniture. It does work.

Man, when I get on my soap box, not many can knock me off.

Arthur

hey lucky161, oldtimer, nick, and you other guy's, what happen to our conversation, i thought we were making progress. that stuff about s.a.s. is important news about the survival of a track, believe me , i know, i went through all of that when they closed hotrod hill because of noise. if they want it closed ( the officals ), it will be closed. if there is any hope and they don't close it forever, then the finger pointing has to stop and let whoever is going to promote it, go for the gusto, and help in the process to make it happen. i never hurd so much junk when hrh shut down that it was pathetic, people not even involved with being an offical of the track, let alone being a fan, was making negotive statements about everything, the thing is, none of them knew what they were talking about. i worked with wayne brown and helped to promote that track for 4 years, most people don't see behind the seens. i was the imca promoter, done the flaging for 2 years and the last 2 years promoted and teched, plus ran the show from the infield. if people only knew what it really takes just for racers and fans to have a good weekend!!! back to our other conversation, if these guys'or gal's put as much effort into being positive and helping their local track, there would be no post on this forum about problems at race tracks. think positive, actions speak louder than words. del

SORRY THERE PRO // SOMEONE TOOK A SHOT AT ME .AND I FELL INTO THERE GAME ..SHAIME ON THOSE TWO ..LOL ..MY BAD ..

Archived