Casey the "unofficial winner" at Mobile?

Snowball

No updates from the track yet (4:50 p.m., Sunday)

This is what is posted on the Mobile International website:

THE SPEEDWAY HAS NOT RELEASED THE OFFICIAL RESULTS OF THE MILLER LITE 100, RUN MAY 26

Nick

Casey had an awesome car Saturday night - The reason the results are not "official" is because they took his ignition box to check they did not have the tools at the track. They are shipping it back Tuesday along with his $4,000.00 check. 29 SLM (Mike Garvey, Freddie Query, Wayne Anderson) were there, and it was the largest field of SLM the track has had in years. Garvey was helping Crane, Freddie was there with B. Scott and Anderson was there with Sieg. Chris had a great run too and believe it or not people from Texas in the stands.

Kathy Smith

I was wondering what was going on. I didn't hear about any of that. Congrats to Casey! I'm not sure why they did this, but one thing that you can say about the FF and MIS tech crew is that they check everyone! I've seen more cars DQ'd over the last few years than I've ever seen, but I've also seen the car counts grow alot since then as well.

I Think Casey rolled out of the Tech area at 1:15 am - Ricky Brooks was on hand to assist and I can assure you they did not miss one inch of the car. Sniffed the tires, broke the seals on the motor and CC and whistled, Ricky got in the car and checked all the wiring, had Casey start it up until it hit the Rev. and checked his tack. Everything was fine we got the hand shakes at around 1:15 and the only other thing they asked was to check his box and Casey said not a problem.

Pretty sure Casey is running his McGunnegil sealed engine. They are limited to 7200 rpm, and they would take the box to ensure the chip is not bypassed, or contains traction control.

All routine inspections by Brooks and the tech guys over there.

Stuff like this is why racing is thriving over there, while it is in the toilet here in Texas.

They tech every car the same, whether you are a threat to win, or the guy who will be slowest in qualifying.

They also tech the winners the same, no matter the name on the car. Whether it is Casey, or Mercer, or anyone else, the tech is performed consistently and impartially.

It has been fun at the Snowball to listen to little Wallace and Rich Wauters and Mercer and others cry to anyone who will listen because they have to adhere to the same rules as everyone else.

Ricky Brooks heading tech is the best thing that has happened to that area's racing. He knows his stuff, he is thorough, he is impartial, and he won't be brow-beaten. Add to that that the track owners and promoters let him make the tech decisions, and then stand by them. That was an issue at one of our former tracks.

Good to see Casey having some racer luck for a change. He is always fast, but didn't always have that "luck" thing on his side.

Good to see that he didn't get "Maderized" at Mobile, which is a pretty common thing for anyone in a race that Mader is also in.

Noticed on Casey's website that at the Snowball he had Joe Shear Jr there with him. Is he still going to the track with Casey or who sets Casey's car up now? Obviously from everything I am reading it is like a train on a track and flying through the corners - just curious if anyone has any knowledge?

Have SLM cars always had rev limits?

For the most part, no.

But McGunnegil and Hamner both make what they call "sealed engines."

The Five Flags rules state that each sealed engine can be run as follows--

The McGunnegil sealed engine can run a 7200 chip with a 750 carburetor

The Hamner sealed engine can run a 7600 chip with the same carburetor.

Both Mobile and Opp also run these same rules.

Keep in mind, also, that these engines are much different than the 604 crates in the pro late models and modifieds.

Why do Hamner engines get 400 more R.P.M.?

I don't know, as I do not know the particulars of how they are built. Things like bore/stroke, type of heads, etc.

It is probably a result of testing that has taken place with cars that have each type of engine. The difference in rpm may be an equalizing factor between the two engines.

Maybe Kathy or Casey Smith can answer this one for us.

Tom: Maybe we should get Lucian or Eddy to chime in on this one because I don't have a clue what RPM even are. however I did ask Casey why Hamner's motors get to pull more RPM than his and his answer to me was that they don't anymore they made him change the motor to pull the same? So there you go.

And Josh is exactly right Casey does all his own set ups - Joe is a very close friend and they talk and he gives him idea's to try but he is not at the track with Casey in fact I think Casey told me he was working for Robbie Gordon's Cup team now.

Kathy or Glenn,

Has Casey ever considered bringing his old car back to Five Flags, or did that one get destroyed in the Mader wreck? That care seemed to run gret at Five Flags, and this newer one seems to run great at Opp and Mobile.

Well he needs to do something different that is for sure, however he was doing ok Friday night started back over at Destin Beach and worked his way to 7th with 40 to go when McFarland slammed into him missing Augie's spin and broke the A Frame - He needs to come down there and spend a day testing maybe in June?

But he has got to start qualifying better or he will miss the Derby again!

Would someone please post Casey's website on here. As Vir on here and Llamadog on other sites, I am one of Casey's biggest fans in this area. Talked to his Dad at FFs Friday night during a red flag while he was spotting. He has hit the nail on the head for his set ups at Opp and MIS. It is unusual for anyone to run faster than Mercer in qualifying at MIS. I have always been partial to cars with 99 on them.

I find it very encouraging that they are enforcing the rules. I've never understood the nascar justification for letting cheaters keep the win because "the fans have a right to know who won before they leave the track." What about the more important right of the fans to know that the declared winner also adhered to the rules? And what about the competitors right to know that the driver that beat them did so fair and square? Could anything be more of an incentive for a car owner to park his car than to know that following the rules would be used against him unfairly? As most on here know, hardly anyone actually races to make a living. It's those hard fought but fairly won wins that fuels the sport.

Why do Hamner engines get 400 more R.P.M.?

I don't know, as I do not know the particulars of how they are built. Things like bore/stroke, type of heads, etc.

It is probably a result of testing that has taken place with cars that have each type of engine. The difference in rpm may be an equalizing factor between the two engines.

Maybe Kathy or Casey Smith can answer this one for us.

Here are the rules from five flags:

Engines

9:1 Compression Engine 362 Max Cubic Inches

1. Cannot exceed 9.5:1 compression. Method of determining

compression will be at the discretion of FFS Officials.

2. Minimum valve angle: GM-18 degrees; Ford 9 degrees with 4 degrees valve center;

and Mopar 12 degrees. (+/- 2 degrees)

3. Steel or aluminum cylinder heads.

4. Steel standard production crankshaft; balancing, lightening, stroking allowed.

5. Any camshaft, any steel lifter, any rockers arms. Gear drives allowed.

6. Steel or aluminum intake. No fabricated intakes.

7. 390 CFM 4bbl Part #6895 or #80507. Carburetors must pass inspection at any time regardless of temperature. Booster bar may be removed from center of booster (max inside dia. of booster .473) and the booster may be tapered from the center seam down (booster must retain .700 length minimum)but all 4 boosters must be the same style. No other modifications are allowed on carburetors.

OR

Steel Head Engine 362 Max Cubic Inches

1. Any flat-topped piston may have valve reliefs. Piston cannot extend out of block.

2. Cast or steel production crankshaft. Balancing allowed. Stroke must be within .020

of stock stroke for engine used.

3. Any flat tappet hydraulic or roller camshaft allowed.

4. Cast Iron Bowtie, Sportsman II or Iron Eagle 200 heads only.

5. Maximum valve size: GM intake 2.055/exhaust 1.625; Ford intake 2.085/exhaust

1.656; Mopar intake 2.020/exhaust 1.625

6. Multi-angle valve job allowed, no blending between cutter and casting. No work in

runners, bowl or chambers. 75 degree maximum cut. GM heads may be port

matched to Mr. Gasket #102 intake gasket. Maximum depth of port matching is 1"

from machined surface; grinding only, no polishing. Titanium valves and retainers

allowed. Maximum intake runner volume – 208 cc.

7. Unaltered 750 CFM 4bbl Part #4779 or #80528 Carburetors must pass inspection at any time regardless of temperature.

OR

Five Flags Speedway Pro Late Model Engines Allowed

OR

McGunegil “Sealed Engine” with 7200 rpm chip and 750 Carburetor.

Hamner Sealed Engine with 7600 rpm chip and 750 Carburetor It seems as if jo blo engine builder has an advantage because of no RPM limit.Now if they are letting the two sealed engine builders have more parts to work than jo, then why are their limits 400 rpm apart between the two?Seems like McGunegill is getting the short end of the stick lately.

It seems as if jo blo engine builder has an advantage because of no RPM limit.Now if they are letting the two sealed engine builders have more parts to work than jo, then why are their limits 400 rpm apart between the two?Seems like McGunegill is getting the short end of the stick lately.

In reality, the mainstream builder actually has a little more lee-way. They can play with bore/stroke, crank and rotating weight, and so on.

One thing about the sealed engines is they are actually bigger engines than the open engines that are limited to 362 CI. The McGunnegil that Casey runs is a 383, like the area dirt cars might have. I suspect the Hamner is similar, although I don't know for sure.

I also saw where Kathy asked Casey about the 400 rpm, and the engines now have to run the same chip; They directed Hamner to make a few changes.

What makes these engines good is , a ton of torque, which is what will get you off the corner.

No telling how fast they would be if they were not at 7200 rpm chip.

Looking at the race recaps, Ricky Brooks has done a good job of finding an equalizing point between the open engines and the sealed engines.

I know the basics of Casey's set-up, and he is doing a great job with it.

Archived