HMP Pro LateModel Payout

Bandit

Just got the check for the last HMP LateModel race. 4th place paid $100. They say the purse reduction is because they don't have any fans turning out to watch. Well, just looked at the web site for tonights race. They told us Military is free admission tonight, don't see that on there. Looked for info on tonights race, (laps ect...) don't see that. Driver info-Nope. Current points-a full month out of date. Pictures-no. And they expect to get people to get interested in coming out to see events that they can find no info about. Now the entertainers (the racers) have to entertain for almost free. Anybody want a good deal deal on a Pro LateModel, you can pick it up tonight after the feature.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

bandit,

$100 for a fourth-place Pro Late Model finish? That has to be a typo, right?

TSRS Late Models offer $300 for a fourth place finish according to their website.

And I happen to know that the Texas Pro Sedan fourth-place finisher at THR was paid $180 on April 28. And TPS paid $275 for fourth at San Antonio on March 3. Maybe you should consider moving up to the Texas Pro Sedans. LOL...

Nick

When HMP made the post on how the new purse would be calculated I did the math and knew it was going to be a deep cut.The Late Model cars cost a ton of money and are extremely expensive to campaign so it will be interesting to see how many teams see fit to stay in it with the new pay-out.

bandit,

$100 for a fourth-place Pro Late Model finish? That has to be a typo, right?

TSRS Late Models offer $300 for a fourth place finish according to their website.

And I happen to know that the Texas Pro Sedan fourth-place finisher at THR was paid $180 on April 28. And TPS paid $275 for fourth at San Antonio on March 3. Maybe you should consider moving up to the Texas Pro Sedans. LOL...

Nick

No, it's true about the payout. TSRS pays more than HMP. I think postage was more than our check.

Our car is in the garage this week. Too much $$$ to tow to Houston for little or no purse.

We'll have to run a very limited schedule.

Mike Reininger

Anybody want a good deal deal on a Pro LateModel, you can pick it up tonight after the feature.

maybe........does tom come with it?

Hey Bandit,

Parked my car last year due to all these issues...saved enough money to buy a motorcycle.

Saturday rides in the country sure are nice. :D

And less than 20 dollars for a whole day of riding, aaaaaaahhhhhhh no stress.

Cory

What is the pay-out for the Pro Late Model Class at Pensacola and Opp compared to Houston? Wouldn't it be feasible for these drivers to leave the state and go run for some big money and better drivers than running for $100.00 and getting their stuff all torn up? Just curious - Are the rules the same?

Pensacola breaks down like this--

Pro Late Models

1-$1200.00

2-$800.00

3-$500.00

4-$400.00

5-$300.00

6-$200.00

7-$175.00

8-$150.00

9-$125.00

10-$100.00

11 back-$75.00

The key here is travel expenses. But you can help that by not tearing up your stuff so you can run Mobile the next night.

And the rules are the same, with one exception. Over there, they run the Hoosier 2045.

They also don't allow electric brake fans or cambered rearends.

You're right, I forgot about those.

On another note. I wonder if HMP is going to make the owners of the McGunnegil Fords adhere to the 1.5 rocker arm change that ASA has mandated.

Is the Pro Late Model Class less expensive to run than the SLM Class? Because the pay-out difference is HUGE - I read somewhere that they are increasing the pay-out on the Blizzard Events and how much trouble to switch over to a SLM vs Pro Late Model? Doesn't some of the drivers do that like Greg Davidson or does he have 2 different cars?

Is the Pro Late Model Class less expensive to run than the SLM Class? Because the pay-out difference is HUGE - I read somewhere that they are increasing the pay-out on the Blizzard Events and how much trouble to switch over to a SLM vs Pro Late Model? Doesn't some of the drivers do that like Greg Davidson or does he have 2 different cars?

Remember that the Blizzard races are special events and they pay accordingly. If the SLM cars were running weekly like they did last year in Mobile, they would not be racing for near that money.

As for expenses, the motor is a big difference, and some of the stuff that goes with that, like the transmissions, etc. Travel expenses are basically the same,=.

Some of the teams have separate cars, due to the changes that must be made from a slm engine to a crate. Remember, the slm engines have all the dry sump lines, oil tank, etc.

Greg and I discussed this very subject Saturday night, he runs one car, a Dick Anderson car, and he swaps all this stuff around race to race. He is getting ready to run it as a SLM, He plans to be in Pensacola Friday night to help Chris, and will race his own car Saturday night in Mobile.

But if I was in the Pro Late Model class and fast I would rather go run a week-end with the chance of winning $2,400.00 than traveling to Houston and have a full inversion and running for basically nothing - JMO

Racedude,

For the Houston based pro lates, it is a very viable option. Most of the field is Houston cars. The only pro-late cars from outside the Houston area Saturday night were Alexander, Sirizotti and us.

It may become our option when we get the car back together.

The real issue here for a Texas based team right now is a round trip fuel bill around $600-800 dollars.

The real issue here for a Texas based team right now is a round trip fuel bill around $600-800 dollars.

What is your estimated reapair bill on the weekend?

I'll go out on a limb here and say... maybe more than a $100.00. :)

It seems the class was created as an affortable "Late Model" that was offered with limited horsepower that drivers could get into and hone their skills - if this is the case then it is reasonable to think there are going to be alot of inexperienced drivers in the class that are in it to develop their skills before moving up. And it is attractive for someone in the Houston Area to be able to run a latemodel no travel involved at a nice facility and gain seat time. I see the ASA series turning into just that - a developing ground for these kids.

It is less expensive to run the Pro Late Models. In addition to the motor costs, the maintenance is much higher on the SLM motors. The freshen up costs because of high RPM's, 14 quarts of oil, and tires are a couple of items. Pensacola and Mobile's tech man said they are considering changing the rocker's on the McGunnegill engine, but the are also looking at changing the Chevy to 1.6 ratio. I personally am not going to take my new car to HMP if the invert is still active. I would much rather take my chances out east. If I cannot get my car fast enough to be up front then I deserve what I get by starting in the back. The invert does not give you that opprotunity. Other people can decide your outcome. HMP should take a poll from the drivers and former drivers about the invert. Also that same group of people should be willing to give some insight on the marketing plan to put butts in the seats to justify higher purses.

Archived