Breaking the plain

In the drivers meeting this past weekend it was said that if you break the plain of the car in front of you, you have the position. I have no problem with this other than you can’t see the car behind you when it does break the plain. It was also said that A-post mirrors would be considered in the coming two weeks. There was a lot of controversy over this and ill also add this, when the Super Stocks ran the spectacular last year there was about 20 something cars on the track and they we all allowed to run radios. The race went 40 laps green flag start to finish. I agree that something need to be done such as A-post mirrors or radios, but I think the radios would be more effective. Now before I start hearing that it’s a cost reduction thing to not run radios let me say this, you will spend how much on motors,tires,trailers,etc… and then worry about the cost of radios , If you look out there on the market , you can get refurbished radios fairly cheap. I think radios over A-Post mirrors would be better but this is just my opinion.

I also think that the "breaking the plane" idea as announced in the meeting might need to be tweaked a little still. The way it was announced in the meeting made it seem that if you got your nose just ahead of a competitors' bumper, the spot was yours. However, the TSRS race wasn't called that way, or so it appeared. I think placing the "right of way" that far back makes it difficult for the officials to call and for the drivers to obey. It may also encourage a driver to just stab the nose in there at the very end of the straight away and hope he gets the call. I think I prefer keeping the right of way point up further like at the numbers or rear door post. When a car is up that far, there's no doubt he's won the spot and should get to keep it. As far as radios, I don't have a real strong opinion. I wouldn't argue for or against. The only thing that comes to mind is that they don't seem to reduce the number of wrecks on short tracks.

I agree with you Chase! The TSRS race was not called right when it came to that. It's obvious where the tire marks are on the guys car that the other driver had the lane. But anyways, that is all I'm saying. But I do agree with what you said!!

The Qtr Midgets have some effective ways to control this situation.

#1 there is a line at the entry to the Corner that goes up about 6 feet on to the track. Drivers are aware of this line since most of the issue is the inside line.

#2 When a driver passes this line if his/her right front wheel is not to the drivers body. Then it is not their position.. and they should back off.

#3 If there is and caution due to contact between those 2 cars, The line is the determining factor, Did the driver have position at the line.

If the answer is yes.. the outside driver is at fault....

If answer is no.. the inside driver is at fault....

nomatter what rule you come up with its still up to the drivers to have enough skills to know when your beat or not .and the passing driver should respect the same ..i gave when i wasnt in the numbers .if it was to avoid a wreck ..well most of the time lol ..poop happens .... when you try to add rules i. your only makeing some drivers think to much and that causes wrecks also ..if you use a side mirror most drivers miss there turn spot or slow down and block more ..which only makes that other driver mad .and ofcourse any rule is forgotten ..crash ..

Archived