SAS Road Runners and THR Hobbies

abrungot

OK,

I just finished talking with Jack, and they are SERIOUSLY looking at how to incorporate the SAS Cars at THR.

Couple of things I pulled from the conversation:

#1 How to have Road Runners at THR and limit the cost incurred to change over.

#2 How to adjust for the 108 vs. 112 cars

#3 Commitment from Drivers to come up and run.

So here is my question, and It truely all starts here.

Who is wanting to run THR for the year, from the SAS Road Runners.

2 Options being looked at, #1 Stand Alone Class, and #2 Blending them with the Hobbies.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Way to go Aaron...I like it that you are looking into options so these drivers have a place to race. From a spectators viewpoint putting them together would be cool. Having them running separate could get them on the track without little change. Hope you SAS drivers can work this out because I personally would like to see those racecars raced !!! :D

Edited by fast18

I would trully concider running up there if it was little to no change to my current car, and if I was able to use my future car thats about 60% built...

I am one of the RR drivers with a 108" car thats 60% done, and currently do have a 112" car to drive, but it too doesnt quite fit your HS rules since all the interior panels are already cut out... I know we had 10 confirmed cars for a Refugee race at Corpus which for most is further than THR..... Will we get 17cars at THR like we had the last SAS race, I doubt it, but I can easily see 5 to 10..... Especially since we had a 17 + car class thats homeless now!!!! :(

Me personal opponion is I would like to see us as a stand alone class at THR with our current rule setup, but maybe thats just my wishfull thinking...

Edited by kn1ghtblade

I'm in. I'm starting to lose hope for our track. I'd like to run together if we don't have too change much. Some of the rules that stuck out to me are, open chamber heads only, factory rear bumpers, transponders, just to name a few. If we do have to change a lot of this stuff, I'd like to run a stand alone class. We were going to go over 20 cars if we had another race at SAS, if we had our own class, I think we could get close to that.

My car just got it's first dents, not even broke in yet. I hope we can come up with something.

Some of the rules that stuck out to me are, open chamber heads only, factory rear bumpers, transponders, just to name a few.

Were you able to run closed chamber heads in the roadrunner class at SAS? I sure didn't think so. On edit: I read the RR rules and saw that they didn't specifically prohibit closed chamber heads. I just figured that was the intent of the 68cc rule. I'm not aware of any closed chamber head that was rated from the factory at 68cc.

Transponders are not required in the local classes at THR.

I hope you guys can work something out to race at THR. I think you'll like the track, and the people at the track.

Edited by ss99

Went there for the Grand Nationals. We had a good time. Well organized, friendly folks. The owner even took the time to come talk to us. I'm sure they will fit us in somehow.

My mistake. I meant scanners, are Hobby Stocks required to have scanners?

Even though the rule states they are mandatory, they have not required them in the past. They have strongly suggested them, but not gone so far as to say you MUST have them. The idea was for scanners to be used to make lineups after caution periods go more smoothly. As long as the guys continue to get lined up quickly, I don't think it will be an issue.

There are some differences that would make it difficult for the SA cars to go to THR... Two major ones are the gutting of the interiors and the 108 vs. 112... Personally I think Jack will figure it out... More than likely it can just be done by adding and subtracting weight to even things out... The Spectacular rules made it rather even for most...

What about the 116" wheel base cars??? Do I GET to run Grand Stock again????

I plan on being a THR Hobby Stock. I know Paul Lipp (2006 Rookie of the Year, 2007 Track Champion) will be a THR Hobby Stock. I also know of many RRs that will not be there. I doubt very seriously there will be more than 5 cars that will be coming up and making THR their home (racing every race). I hope I'm wrong, which is usually the case.

A stand alone class would make absolutely no sense in my opinion. If the spectacular/oktoberfast rules aren't good enough for this season antoher option would be to run the classes together and have 2 points brackets. 1) cars that are declared THR Hobbies. 2) Cars that are declared SAS RRs. I've only been involved in racing for 2 years but I don't remember all the THR Hobbies coming to SAS and dominating or vice versa.

All changes to the rules would only benefit SAS cars. We're the ones that are asking that others change so we don't have to. It's a double edged sword for Jack, Mary Ann and all involved in the process. Hopefully it'll work out. I'll race up there and get DQed every time, if they'll let me, just to have a place to race.

#1 How to have Road Runners at THR and limit the cost incurred to change over.

#2 How to adjust for the 108 vs. 112 cars

#1 let them run there remainng A/R then swich to the Hoosiers,

#2 Change 112 to 108 in the rules

I agree with #1 but please do not change any rules. I would love the RR class to come race with us as they are and then even the playing fields as we go if we have to. From what I have seen the 2 classes have different strengths and weaknesses which even them out in the end. Gutted interiors, bumpers, and small things like that are not important. The only rules that need to be reviewed are the ones that would give a noticeable advantages or disadvantages. So lets all the pull together and bring these guys down and have the largest car count on the track and then go from there.

they can work it out ......in tps our car could be considerd a super stock in small car terms ... verses some of the other cars .stock pinto.s vw bugs ..and neons eventhow i dont always like the rules ..they are worked to help out most .. of the haves to have nots ..cc cars can run with tps .and tps cars can at run cc .. mainly this year its the tires tps cars have to run .at cc ..... tires are the decideing factor .. i hope thunder hill can get you all together and make it work ..

Edited by oldtimer

My personal wish.. RR and Hobby's run together...

Teams wanting to run AR's that they have to use up, have to bring all tires on the first night and get them marked.

2nd Gears are going to cost from $200 - $400 already... really don't need to look at any other expensive changes right now. Run the motor rules, as is.

Only way to truely see if adjustments are needed to rules is run Heads up for the rules. With the clause that if SAS cars are to far off, adjustments to thinks like Spring rules (Both sides the same) or simple low cost things can be implimented.

Simple rule.. you have to declare SAS, or THR... can't cross them..

If we let these cars get parked.. they may become garden structures.. and that would be a shame..

As for the SS vs. Sportsman.. we didn't get into that much.. but they are looking all all 4 SAS Classes..

didn't ask about Trucks/mods.

I know our car is ready to go, We plan on makeing Corpus the 21st and Probably THR on the 28th if we only have to change gears, and minor stuff... We dont want to/cant afford to make major changes to the car...

As for my car I have almost built, unless the 108's are allowed with gutted interior panels I have no choice but to go elsewhere with it, or cut my losses on it and give up.... That is not an option I have spent too much money building it so far to not complete it and race it somewhere.....

The tire issue can be worked out, for us we have 3 brand new AR's and a few take offs which we would like to use up, we knew these werent going to last long anyway... Hoosiers are better tires anyway... jmo

I THINK IF THR WILL ALLOW THE SAS RR'S TO RUN AS A SEPARATE CLASS IT WOULD BENEFIT US MORE. ONE MORE CLASS FOR THEM TO RUN AND WE WOULD NOT HAVE TO GO THRU TO MUCH EXPENSE TO GET OUR CARS EVEN WITH THE THR CARS. THERE WOULD BE NO "ADVANTAGE" BY ANYONE ON THE RULES.

LEAVE THE SAS RR'S ALONE (RULE WISE) AND LET US RUN OUR OWN CLASS JUST FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE SEASON. MARY ANN AND THE FOLKS AT THR ARE A GREAT BUNCH. I HAD A GREAT EXPERIENCE WITH MARY ANN AND THE TSRS SERIES IN THE INAUGURAL YEAR. IF WE CAN DO SOMETHING LIKE THIS, I WILL DEFINATELY RUN AT THR. WE HAVE A GREAT BUNCH OF FOLKS IN OUR CLASS, I KNOW WE ALL WANT TO RACE. SO LET'S SEE HOW IT GOES. THANX LENNY66 :ph34r: