Would you participate in a racing series that....

Lonesome Ford

the even pay deal sounds good .../ but in the end you could end up with $50 race cars .meaning .a driver comes out with a really cheap car .and collects even money with a guy that has a 10.000 plus car .and makes money .what do you thing that $10.000 racer is going to do .get a $ 50 car ..before you know it there is no more races cars as we know them ....just drive way junkers ..... could go both ways here make the car count go sky high . or junk yard bottom ...

Not necessarily, I know plenty of road racers that spend big $$ on their cars and everyone that podiums gets the same $15 medal or trophy. But, the goal is still the same, everyone that races wants the one that reads "1st PLACE".

oldtimer - I see your point about junker cars showing up to make some $. Honestly that had not crossed my mind. You would have to be a paid member of course so that would have to be done before you compete. There would be an entry fee for every event so that could recoup some cost. I dunno, maybe come up w/ a safety rule referring to the quality of the equipment & car. The drivers elected to serve that season could do the inspection. Good point by the way.

landlord - the downside: Yea, it could end up being a few who actually found sponsors for events but 2 or 3 people looking is better than 1 or none at all <shrug> If we don't pick up a sponsor for a particular event then it would be a lower overall payout.

the upside: We get a sponsor or 2 per race, payout steadily increases overall, more teams come to the series when they hear 15th place pays $200 not $20(example), which in turn would hopefully bring in more series sponsors, payout increases, etc etc.

TXenergy - My dad and I have talked about this for years... His point is funny but makes some sense. He jokingly says reverse the current pay scale. For example, if 1st paid $100 and 10th pd $800 would it change the reason why we are there? It shouldn't because we are all there to RACE & WIN right? :lol:

a possible way to discourage the $50 cars is to have "qualifying" heat races. let the heats pay "tow money". maybe have a "last chance" race....or a "pursuit" race (lined up by season points - lowest to highest) let the "main" pay the "big" bucks.

it won't cure the problem, but there'll be folks who want to race in the main and less chance there'll be loafers in that race.

I RACED AGAINST CARS THAT SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ON THE TRACK IN THE NAME OF COUNT .IN FACT ONE OF THOSE JUNK CARS COST ME A VERY GOOD FAST CAR .ONE OF THOSE LUCKY CARS THAT EVERYONE DREAMS OF RACEN ..ONE THAT YOU CANT DUPLICATE ... .. ..WACO RACER .I UNDERSTAND YOUR POINT .IN CAN BE POINTED OUT THAT WE SPEND ALOT ON OUR CARS FOR LITTLE MONEY ..RACER YOU HAVE A GOOD IDEAL ..

Good ideas Racer Duck, that would be totally feasible if there were a lot of cars and the more cars the better right??? B) .

I honestly don't think there would be teams who would take advantage of the system because they are still spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars to race to begin with.

That being said Oldtimer :) there are always slower cars that aren't competetive with the leaders in a race. They are competing against the other cars of the same caliber for their position and the job of the leaders is to bypass them when they lap them and not wreck in the process. There will always be cars who aren't up to snuff with the leaders for whatever reason .... that's part of racin'

but I think the "club based" series could be successful in s. texas

isnt pro sedans sort of a club based series......just not called a club....they have been around for 32 years so it seems that they have things figured out.......they may not be perfect, but they would be a good model to build off of as far as there overall structure and set up.........jmo

TPS is a series,if considered a club series then all series are clubs. No I am not offended or upset, by that statement, but part of the success of TPS is trying not to obsolete any of the cars and keep them competitive with each other,and with all of the different makes you know what fun that can be. We may have our squabbles but we have a great group of people that believe it or not usually get along with each other and help each other out when they can.

TPS is a series,if considered a club series then all series are clubs. No I am not offended or upset, by that statement, but part of the success of TPS is trying not to obsolete any of the cars and keep them competitive with each other,and with all of the different makes you know what fun that can be. We may have our squabbles but we have a great group of people that believe it or not usually get along with each other and help each other out when they can.

you said it ..its not a club ..yes we do not always agree on some things .thats happend for 32 years ..99 percent of the drivers like each other .not bad considering all the different typ cars ..salute .................lonesome .thats true .the driver who had this car had been racen along time .and just would not fix his car up ..and we didnt have a teck man or safety crew that checked cars then . that same car would not be able to race today .the tracks and series do alot better job checking for safe cars ,,

ok, #7: "grandfathering" in your equipment :ph34r:

We all know rules are different from track to track to track; however, even though these rules are different Octoberfast proved more than once that even slightly different rules can produce close & exciting racing. The rules would incorporate existing rules from every track and the advantages of certain rules will be addressed with weight penalties if needed. This is the area that would likely see constant complaints that this isn't fair, etc etc so the 1st few races would be understood as experimental. Every team would have to claim which rules they are running by and if they are found illegal then they are illegal, which means NO payout, NO points for that event, NO excuses and that car would be singled out for inspection at the next event before it is allowed to even go on the track. If a certain set of rules is found to have an unfair advantage then that will be addressed at the "monthly meeting".

ok, now I'm running for cover.... :lol:

Good ideas Racer Duck, that would be totally feasible if there were a lot of cars and the more cars the better right??? B) .

the whole point of having heats is to get the cars some track time and to give the fans something to watch. a secondary objective is to create a competitive lineup for the main event whether it be straight up or reversed.

yeah, it'd be great if there were 20 cars in each heat, but any four cars can usually put on a good race for 10 laps .. that's all that's needed to put on a heat race. if ya got less than 8 cars in the class, then only have 1 heat. point is give the fans something to watch.

#1: Being a non-profit organization would be beneficial in several ways.

A registered non-profit organization CANNOT keep money for itself. Therefore, all monies will be used in the operation of the non-profit (purse, trophies, advertising, etc). A business must turn a profit. A non-profit organization does not, afterall we aren't in it for the money right? If there is a left over balance, we donate it to the charity of our choice for that racing season. (this would also help find sponsors). Who's against racing for a charity???

Just a couple of points to clarify. A non-profit CAN keep money for itself. Even non-profits need to keep a surplus coming in so that they may continue to survive. Its how you use the money that qualifies that surplus as a "profit" or not as a "profit". The other thing I keep hearing is that racing could survive if it was done for the love of the sport and if no one's in it for the money. While that is noble thought, racing costs money and somebody at some level has got to be running racing like a business if it is to survive. Either racers, series, clubs or tracks have to make a profit. This club idea has some merit on the surface. If a club is successful, it might make a consistent revenue source for tracks. This in turn would give some foundation to the series. HMMM. LonesomeFord you might be onto something.

Oh I understand that, I just think I tried to explain it a different way. I'd like to see something like this evolve but it would take more than just myself. Feel free to sound off if you're interested in getting this started.

8. Vigorously advertises & promotes the series & teams.

The club would provide advertisement including but not limited to: radio, internet (a lot), mailings, newspapers, banners, posters, signs & more. Most of the advertising can be handled in house eliminating a lot of the cost of contracting it out.

9. Races on BOTH asphalt & dirt!

There are tracks that would love to have a "series" or club come to their facilities. This includes BOTH dirt and asphalt tracks. I have been in contact with more than a couple of tracks and the interest is there.

10. Is in it for the love of the sport, teams, and tracks & NOT for themselves.

This kinda goes w/o saying...... we all love our sport and if we can make a combined effort to rebuild the foundation; low cost racing, then it will grow from there. Afterall, most racers don't start off racing a super latemodel.

----------------

Archived