A Quiet Goodbye

chiefs13

This was a rough day for me. I was finally able to make arrangements to get out to SAS and pickup my personal belongings from the announcers booth. Going out to SAS, I turned in the gate off Highwat 16 and was met ny the sight I have greeted with for the past 13 years. The grandstands reached high into the air, abouve the VIP booth and my place of employment for so long and the ggreeting "San Antonio Speedway" on the wall. Before I headed upstairs, I went out on the track one last time and looked up at the stands. Having addressed the crowd from the position many times, it gave me an eeri feeling that I was possibly looking at this sight for the final time. I went up, got my stuff loaded up and headed home. Man that was a tough drive. One I've made so many time and may never make again.

I'd like to thank some people who I've been blessed to work with over the years:

Thanx to Frank Howell for giving me the opportunity to be the announcer when he took the track back

I always enjoyed working with Cindy and Jason abd watching Justin grow into the fine young man he is today.

Thanx to Bill and Judy Haglund and Mike Sepich, both former managers at the track

I appreciate the effort that Terry and Tammy made at the track and thamx for putting up with me

Also it was a pleasure to work with all the different officials over the years.

Also a big thanks and good job to Terry Barden abd Pat Lane and Paul Lozano as Race directors.

Thank you to the fans for putting up with my shenanigans, jokes and fun times I tried to provide during this time. It was always enjoyable to hear the laughter when we had fun on the front straight and it was a plesure to walk thru the stands and meet you before, during and after the races. I know everyone didn't like me, but its hard to pleae everyone. But thank you for supporting racing.

Last but not least, I want to tahnk the drivers. You gentlemen and ladies are a class act. We're you always perfect? No, but somehow we alwats made it through. I always marveled at the way you and your crews worked on your cars so hard to put on a show for stranger. Thank you for being so friendly and accepting me throughout the years. SLM, Trucks, Mods, LM,Sportsman, Roadrunners and Grandstocks I salute you and will miss the action of Saturday night racing. Hopefully this works itself out and we will be able to meet and race again. Until then, be safe abd God Bless

Milton Hope

San Antonio Speedway Announcer

"Green Flag, Green Light"

Simon Says " YOU ARE THE GREATEST, MILTON".

We'll be hearing you at a track near us in no time. I hope.

MILTON, YOU DID A FINE JOB OUT ON THE TRACK, AS YOU SAID IN YOUR POST, IT IS AN EERIE FEELING TO SEE THE TRACK SO QUIET, I HAVE BEEN BY THERE A COUPLE OF TIMES LATELY AND I CAN'T HELP BUT HAVE FOND MEMORIES OF ALL THE TIME I SPENT AT THAT PLACE.

AS THET SAY, "ONE DOOR CLOSES ANOTHER ONE OPENS". I CAN SAY IT WAS FUN SMACKING YOU AROUND IN THE "DEMO DERBY". THANX MILTON!!! WE WILL ALL MISS SAS IN OUR OWN WAY!!!

LENNY66 ROADRUNNERS :ph34r:

milton is one of the things i'll miss most .............somebody please hire him (hint) THR.

Thank you Milton,

I looked forward to you coming into the pits before the races. I loved to hear the fans tell me of some of the things that you would say. I will never forget my first night of racing and you told the fans that Kelly and myself were fighting for a parking space at Wal-mart. You are the greatest. You always had a great comeback line.

Now, why don't you come on down to Corpus with us this weekend? I will call and see if you could be a guest announcer to help out with the San Antonio racers. I will even furnish yours drinks and food. I will chauffer you down there also. Let me know.

Mona Turner

#19 Refugee Roadrunner

come on down milton my wife and other score keepers could use your help with who is who .short track and cars and drivers they have never seen much if at all .makes it hard to score they have to sort of score before the line ..i beleive you know my wife .she has scored at sas with kim a few years back and last year in march .at sas ..... .her name is lorraine ......

Thank you Milton,

I looked forward to you coming into the pits before the races. I loved to hear the fans tell me of some of the things that you would say. I will never forget my first night of racing and you told the fans that Kelly and myself were fighting for a parking space at Wal-mart. You are the greatest. You always had a great comeback line.

Now, why don't you come on down to Corpus with us this weekend? I will call and see if you could be a guest announcer to help out with the San Antonio racers. I will even furnish yours drinks and food. I will chauffer you down there also. Let me know.

Mona Turner

#19 Refugee Roadrunner

Thank yo to everyone for the kind words and thanx Mona for the request to come down and help out as CCMS. Unfortunately this weekend was already booked after the news of the closure was announced. I hope you giys (and gals) have fun down ther. Your deserve this.

I love Milton's infamous imitation of Terry Dickerson saying, "I'll give you FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS if you'll ................." :lol:

I believe the phrase is actually pronounced, "I'll give you FIVE HUNNERD DOLLARS if you'll..........."

Nick

Archived