Who/Where/When?

Budman

he was known as 'Tubby'.....because most sundays when he should have been teaching bible studies he had to race under an alias so my great granny wouldn't find out that he was racing. :lol: ..tubby medlock?

i call him papa ......... junior medlock..

this race was more than likely in jacksonville, ill.

it gave true definition to ' manual fuel pump'......hopefully he can come on here and give more story to it. he has got alot of racing stories.

-thanX buddy for posting them.

Thanks 'Horse, Yeah that's a really cool photo of him. He's a pretty cool guy too. I always enjoy visiting with Junior everytime I'm out at the track! He told me the photo was taken in 1949 "up in the mid-west somewhere." He's always got some interesting story to tell about racing "back in the day." :)

actually the named was Clyde Tubby, and it was fun and cheap, the tires on the rear were Wards Riverside knobbies, less than $15.00 each and pump gas 16 cents a gal. no driving suit and the best helmet then was a Cromwell made in England which I still have was about $20.00. All the fair tracks in the midwest were dual purpose dirt and was used primarly for horse racing. Walsh stadium in St. Louis had a 1/4 mile flat track around the field that the pro football teams played, they had 21000 people at $1.00 per head for a race in 49. the car on the track had a flat head mercury V8 engine and the one on the trailer had a carbureted Offy 4 cyl. in 49, about this time they were starting to put fuel injection on them, the were not to complicated as you can see the fuel pump you would pump it as dictated by the length of track and and go for the brake lever (only rear brakes) They did not allow women in the pits, you were susposed to be 21 and only people associated with a car,no back gate crowd Junior

No Junior, this is the story about Roy King, of Patterson New Jersey............... :)

Here is a clipping from a 1955 Austin newspaper Article (that appeared in a recent issue of the Oak Hill Gazette newspaper.) It describes how Roy King of Patterson, New Jersey won the feature at Oak Hill Downs, outside of Austin. Of course, Roy King was an assumed name. The driver was actually Jud Larson.

In those days, AAA ruled the auto racing world. It was the forerunner of USAC. AAA had a southwestern midget circuit that ran in this region thoughout the 40's and 50's. At that time, if a driver signed on to run the AAA circuit, the contract contained an exclusivity clause. If you ran AAA, you were not allowed to run ANY unsanctioned event ANYWHERE! It was therefore said running unsanctioned events was "OUTLAWED". Those who dared do it were then termed "OUTLAWS". Thus, the racing term "OUTLAW" was coined.

If you read the thread "One for the Oldtimers", you will read how that very day was the first time I met Jud. He ran that night as Roy King. Interestingly, he also wore a mask that night to hide his identity.

post-1274-1176429317_thumb.jpg

Jud also ran at the Capitol Speedway in the Jollyville road area as the Lone Ranger. The track was a good track but did not stay open long as it had to compete with the club track located about where Porter middle school is now and the Oak Hill track plus the one in Round Rock behind Clyde Adams Star club, this was all in the early 50's and by the end of 52 only Oak Hill run by Archie Patton was still operating Junior

Archived