Gearing Help

kn1ghtblade

OK since no more 1/2 mile track... RIP : SAS (very very saddened)

I need assistance with gearing for 2 different cars...........

1/4 Mile track gearing: 7.5 " chevy with T350 Tranny gear ratio???

1/4 Mile track gearing: 8.5" chevy with Power Glide Tranny gear ratio???

3/8 Mile Track Gearing 7.5" with the T350 Tranny????

3/8 Mile Track Gearing 8.5" with Pwr Glide Tranny????

We are trying to figure out what we need now to run at the remaining tracks in the area and any help will be greatly appreciated.....

Thanks

Knightblade

You better get busy or those tracks will be closed too....(for the winter!) LOL

the one with power glide is basically ready to go, just need to know what gear to put in it... the 7.5 on the other hand is a different story... Still waiting on rules from THR before making a decission on makeing it a Street Stock for tri-city or a Hobby stock for THR....

Not sure about tri-city, but for THR, I'd start with running your 350 transmission in 2nd (1.52) with a 4.10 rear gear for a 6.24 final.

With the glide in 1st (1.76), you'd want around either a 3.42 or 3.73 in the rear end. The 3.42 would give you just a tad over 6.00 final whereas the 3.73 would give you 6.56. The 6.56 would require a pretty stout bottom end and a cam that favors top end. If you worry about spinning your motor too tight, stick with the 3.42 gears with the glide.

For RPM I want to stay in the 6000 to 7000 range... Anything higher I am kinda leary of it..... Engine supposedly can handle 9-10 grand for stents but I am not sure the info is valid and we aint been able to get this on a track yet and do some testing since SAS closed...

Right now I can tell you though the Glide is paired up with 8.5" rear with gears for SAS

The T350 is going to go into my car with a 7.5" rear, which I have 273 and 342 gears for that rear end...

The glide and 8.5 are in a car ready to go, but I can put my 7.5 rear in it quicker than changing the trannies out....

just bring them both to c.c.s. and check them out it all depends on how you drive

he has never raced before so .being a rookie .he probably wont turn it more than 5000 ..something aboult rookies and cc .the track is short tight walls tight turns ... and fast .so he will think he is going fast when he.s not ..so randy just bring it on down and race ...dont drive to fast and keep it out of the wall ..and you will have fun ..i garontie you wont hit 7000 .

hehehe Right now I am more worried about getting the p/s working again on that car... Manual steering on a tight track dont sound like too much fun... LoL LoL The gearing questions are more for future use, this comming weekend the plan all along was just to run it with the gears that are in it, then worry about changing them afterwards.... Right now I just need to get the seat time....

Engine supposedly can handle 9-10 grand for stents but I am not sure the info is valid and we aint been able to get this on a track yet and do some testing since SAS closed...

What! you better put a good scatter shield on that thing......

I am just going by what we were told, I dont buy it though... I figure 7 would really be pushing it, although he did say he had it at 10grand going down front stretch at SAS in 1st gear all the way down the straight before he noticed and shifted gears.... Take it for what its worth its 2nd hand info even to us... LoL LoL

We wont know anything for sure until we can get it on a track somewhere.... Right now we are only able to keep to the cosmetic repairs on it.....

I am just going by what we were told, I dont buy it though... I figure 7 would really be pushing it, although he did say he had it at 10grand going down front stretch at SAS in 1st gear all the way down the straight before he noticed and shifted gears.... Take it for what its worth its 2nd hand info even to us... LoL LoL

We wont know anything for sure until we can get it on a track somewhere.... Right now we are only able to keep to the cosmetic repairs on it.....

I've seen one "Mouse" motor go 10,500RPM with a powerglide behind it. Ran a 9.89ET at Ennis back in the early 90's...

I'd offer to sell you a bridge in Arizona, but there really is one...

We are trying to figure out what we need now to run at the remaining tracks in the area and any help will be greatly appreciated.....

Thanks

Knightblade

you kinda need to know wat gear is in the tranny the power glide could be a 174 or 182 ad it will make a big difference

you kinda need to know wat gear is in the tranny the power glide could be a 174 or 182 ad it will make a big difference

I wish we knew, but the previous owner I dont think knew either, we would have to trace the car back to the original owner/builder or to whoever originaly put the tranny in it...

Or just pull it out and take it somewhere to get checked out... If we pull it out though we will just throw my T350 in it though since it matches up better with the rear end thats in the car, and the the PG matches up better with the other cars rear end.. LoL

tO BE 100% sure as to the gear you need you should run the car over to your closest chassis dyno and find you tourque and hp curves and then gear it. If i were you i would run a 4.10 with your th350 and get around 6000 + rpm cuz i know for sure you are loosing power shortly after that amount of rpms.

tO BE 100% sure as to the gear you need you should run the car over to your closest chassis dyno and find you tourque and hp curves and then gear it. If i were you i would run a 4.10 with your th350 and get around 6000 + rpm cuz i know for sure you are loosing power shortly after that amount of rpms.

Yea, we were thinking of actually switching the rear ends first, as soon as I get my 7.5 back together anyway... I have both 273 and 342 gears for it, to match it up whith the PG tranny, and plus switching rear ends is so so much easier and less time consuming then switching tranny's out...

Thanks

Knightblade

hey knight in case you need a rear gear i have a 373 ring and pinion brand new for 8.5 10 bolt..i need to sale it or send it back...You can call me at361-946-1968

• 2 months later...

i have a th350 and i run 1st gear with 2.41 gears (it puts out 6.07 on the ground). my uncle also runs the same thing. our cars are always in the top of the pack out @ i-37 speedway. if you dont believe me you might have seen us we are the #07 & #68 cars in pure stock.

Archived