TAMS growth

randy lee

It seems with the great set of rules that Wayne has written and enforced that more and more people will see TAMS as a place to put their time and effort. Thats what you get when a good racer and good fabricator adds some good business judgement to a racing organization. Its plain old economics that has also helped this series grow. Dollar for dollar these cars are probably the fastest thing for the buck out their. Good luck TAMS.

From our TAMS team's perspective, Wayne Norrell and Owen Pittman have been the easiest officials we have ever dealt with. Being racers themselves, they have respect for the effort the competitors put out to race.

Add to this the competitors.

There are some great racers in this series- Jerry Schild has raced about everything out there, The Heinaman brothers are fast veterans,

and Jason Ray and James Cole are two great young racers.

Keith Sandefur is an old friend, and a blast to be around. He isn't as warped as I am, but he's not far behind!

These guys make this series fun. We haven't had a great year because of a string of engine problems, but we still enjoy being around these racers.

Tom,

Thanks for the kind words. TAMS is the most bang for the buck. Not to say anything bad about any other series, but to us TSRS would be a step backward and ROMCO is too expensive without a major sponsor. I would like to see a couple of rule changes that would make the series less expensive in the long run. Most of the East Coast mod series run Quick Change rearends and revalveable shocks. The reasons are obvious; our team has over $4,000 invested in Ford 9in pumpkins where 1 QC and some gears @ $1,500 would do. We have to have different shock packages for each track where 4 shocks and a valve kit would do. These should be standard for all traveling series. We are probably going to run Pensacola in December and our rules give us a disadvantage unless we make some changes. It would be nice to have the same rules.

Rusty

I wouldn't mind seeing the quick change rearends, either. In the long run, it is cheaper, and a heck of a lot easier. 20 or 25 years ago, changing a 9 inch pumpkin was no big deal, but they seem a helluva lot heavier these days!

As for the "warped" thing, I would try to refute or downplay it, but there are too many past postings on this website of things we, I, us, the team, etc have done. Those postings are just scratching the surface. Some of it can't be posted on a forum read by kids.

Catch me at the track for some of the crazier stuff. Here are a few topics:

-A pot of pinto beans and a competitor's car...

-"Porta-moose", and "Strange Racing"......

-$125 of gas in a 8 hour period....

-A senior-citizen bus and 2 full moons on the way to Nashville.....

-Making room for dessert in a College Station restaurant.....

-Soiled britches and a farmer's stock tank somewhere between here and Shreveport--NOT MINE....

-5 gallons of liquid laundry soap, and a bank water fountain....

Remember, all in fun!!

5 gallons of liquid laundry soap, and a bank water fountain....

txtom,

Everyone accused me of dumping that soap in that fountain (lotsa bubbles!) but I always insisted that it wasn't me because I couldn't remember doing it. Of course, there were a lot of things I couldn't remember in those days.. LOL

I'm glad my name has finally been cleared of this dastardly deed.

Nick Holt

Nick, you have been exonerated.

We-The 3 guys involved- admitted guilt years ago, after the statute of limitations went into effect.

The funniest part of that whole deal was when the Fire Department came to wash away the foam that had gotten down in the street, but as soon as they hit it with that high pressure spray, it made it worse.

To Marc--"warped" is my personality and the way I have fun. You don't need to worry much...well, maybe a little...... :D

Marc-

All kidding aside, I think I have met and talked with you in the past. I lived in Ft Worth '84-93, and went to a lot of races up there. Had a good friend who crewed on a DIRT modified owned by Bob Meals. His name was Mike Morey, and the car (I think) was #99. After looking at some of your pictures, you look familiar.

Look forward to seeing you in the series, it has a great bunch of guys running it.

Tom

Thanks Tom, Look forward to next year. Hope to get to know and meet everyone. The Meal's Family, owned North Texas Motor Speedway. Probably did cross paths in the DFW area. Ran a lot of Dirt South Modified and Sprint car races there. I think Eldon Dotson and Billy Sugg drove for them.

Marc

Marc and Jay, first off welcome to Texasspeedzone. Things might get a little confusing with another set of Marc and J. on here, but you'll get used to it. Though most just call me Reb, instead. Glad to hear you guys are considering running TAMS next year. Wayne and Owen do a real good job with the series, and being former racers, they know what's going on and little if anything gets past the tech line. I'll be at Thunder Hill for the big race, look me up, it's always good to put names with faces. I'm not difficult to find, most people know me. If you see a Hooters entourage. I'll be in middle somewhere. lol :rolleyes:

From you posts and our conversations on whowon.com, I'm sure you've got the "warped" thing down to a science already. LMAO :lol:

Reb,

No offense agianst Wayne or Owen , however, the tech is something that needs some help. If the series did have a tech man ilike the other series it might be a little different. I have gone to several of the races and the only thing that I have seen happen is checked the shocks and pulled carbs. I have not been to all of the races, but I have talked to several of the people and they havent gotten into the motor at all this year. I can only hope that this is something that changes next year.

They haven't gotten into the innerds of the engines this year other than checking casting #'s on the heads. If you think about it though, Most the guys who are running up front this year are the same as last year and they did cc heads and pump last year (all were legal) and I'm sure we all showed up this year assuming they would do the same again. Tech covers a lot of things other than engines, and TAMS has been pretty thorough on the chassis and drive train (transmission back). When's the last time you saw a series pull pumpkins? TAMS did it this year.

Next year is another story. Maybe engines will be the emphasis - who knows. That's why you run LEGAL.

hray,

I am new here so I am asking the following out of ignorance. Since differentials are not mentioned in the rear end rules, I assume that they're ok to run. I haven't ever run anything but lockers from Tex's on pavement. Were the officials looking for aluminum spools / differentials or something more sinister...sensors?

I am pleased to hear that things are regulated closely.

thanks

jay

I can totally agree with you as far as the pumpkins are concerned. And yes you are also correct as far as the ones that are running up front last year are the same as last year. The question that I have is this, Why have the rules written the way that they are if you dont even check the to see if they are legal. Prime example of this is the 50lb weight crank rule. Why have this written in the rules if you dont even weigh them. This doesnt mean that I wont race with them in the future because afterall it is one of the best series out there.

Archived