San Antonio Speedway 2003 and Beyond

Mike Sepich

San Antonio Speedway congratulates the City of San Antonio and Bexar County for successfully attracting Toyota to build their new assembly operation in San Antonio. At San Antonio Speedway, we will continue to have Saturday Night Racing and it will be business as usual for a long time to come. This is a very exciting time; many new business opportunities will present themselves. Established businesses such as San Antonio Speedway will benefit from this type of economic stimulus. Increasing traffic on State Highway 16 will increase the public awareness of our sport and what we are doing on Saturday Nights. This will result in superior grandstand attendance, greater sponsor/advertiser participation and increasing car counts in all classes.

A lot of work was done “behind the scenes” during the off-season to improve the 2003 racing program. We reviewed rules, procedures and scoring sheets. Officials, staff, drivers, crewmembers, fans and sponsors were interviewed several times. This was done to explore ideas and methods of increased competition levels, control the cost of racing, increase sponsor/advertiser participation and attract new fans. The response was overwhelming, the suggestions made were studied, and many have been implemented beginning in the 2003-racing season. Thank you for your participation.

The highlights of some of these changes are as follows.

· We have reduced the number of touring series dates this year to focus more on our own San Antonio Speedway family of racers.

· The racing program will begin at 7:30 pm this year.

· The rules that we are using this year will remain unchanged for many years to come and will be interpreted and enforced in the spirit with which they were written. There will be some new and additional Officials to help conduct faster, safer and more competitive racing programs this year.

· The maintenance staff assures me that the pit restrooms will have a dry floor all season long.

· All classes of cars will heat race for their feature race starting position. Late Model heats will be 8 laps and support divisions will race 6 laps heats. The points structure for heat races will be 10, 9, 8, etc.

· Feature Race length will be; Late Models 40 laps, Sportsman 25 Laps and Road Runners 15 laps and the points structure for feature races 50, 48, 46 etc.

· New advertising and race sponsorship programs have been introduced to more effectively involve new sponsors and advertisers while improving our offering to the established supporters of our sport. One example is the thirty-seven (37) new 4’ X 8’ signs placed on the front straightaway pit wall. The addition of these signs and other programs will allow even more affordable advertising opportunities.

· Coupons will be available at different places of business in the San Antonio market area that will reduce the cost of admission while showing the value of advertising/sponsorship at San Antonio Speedway.

· New advance sale ticket packages will also allow reduced ticket prices while increasing fan counts. These packages are targeted to families, “die hard” fans and for groups such as office, birthday, and business.

· We will feature a large number of spectator-involved events during intermissions this season. Local merchants will supply prizes for events such as wheelchair races, bicycle races, power-wheels kid’s races, RC car races and many more.

· Our weekly souvenir program will be a different publication than what was presented in the past. Not only will the program contain the usual race/points results it will also contain new features such as driver profiles for all drivers every program all year, coupons good at many different retailers, all radio frequencies so that the fans can be part of the action, a weekly review of the races and many more items of interest.

Did you know that YOU could have your own personal driver profile posted at NASCAR.com FREE? This year all NASCAR licensed drivers can post their profile along with pictures on the NASCAR Weekly Racing Series presented by DODGE website. This is a great way to help with sponsorship opportunities, press releases and a must have for your personal portfolio. Visit www.weeklyracingseries.com and click on the Sun Belt Region button for details.

As you can see this looks to be the most exciting year yet for San Antonio Speedway. If you have any questions about rules or technical issues please contact Jeff Martin – Competition Director at 210-674-8184. For any other questions, please contact our office 210-829-0405.

See You at the Races

Mike Sepich

General Manager

San Antonio Speedway

Mike,

It's good to see you posting here! You are indeed welcome to post here whenever you like.

And it's even better to hear first-hand all the positive things that are in the works for SAS in 2003. I didn't know about quite a few of the items you mentioned. I think a lot of people will really appreciate the earlier start time. I know this old fart will. I need all the beauty sleep I can get !

For those of you who do not know, Mr. Sepich is the General Manager of San Antonio Speedway.

Keep us posted, Mike. That's what this forum is all about. The exchange of news, information and ideas among the racing Texas racing community.

Nick Holt

I give SAS this season and possibly next and then they are shutting down forever. Its not going to close because of the management (deleted by Nick Holt) but for simple economic reasoning. There's no way that when somebody wanting to develop by toyota at a big price that the landowner is not gonna kick SAS racers and fans to the curb. But that's just my opinion and hopefully i'm wrong. And why havent they tried something useful like fixing the walls instead of putting up more signs.

romco???

I seriously considered removing your post. As far as I'm concerned, it came as close to bashing as we're going to allow. We certainly respect your opinion (as we respect everyone's opinion) and you did not use foul or abusive language. But if you came here to pick a fight or put others down, then you came to the wrong place. If you have something to say surely you can say it in a way that is respectful of others. If not, I will remove your ability to post here in the future.

Nick Holt

Texas Speed Zone Moderator

Romco??? First off it will be an enviromental mess if anyone tried to develop the land where SAS is located this is becasue of the many capped oil wells in the area... As far as I have heard alot of the land that other Mfgs. has already been bought and if you look at the other post related to Toyota there are other reasons why SAS isn't going anywhere. With the amount of losses SAS had last year due to missed races and low car counts it's kinda hard to pay for something if you don't have the money budgeted for it. Its not like the track can pullout a Amex Optima Platinum and tell whoever to fix it. I think we need to give Mr. Sepich a chance to get the year started before we worry about what is or isn't being done. I have had my misgivings about Mr Sepich in the past and in most respects I was very wrong for what I said. Mainly because I was on the wrong side of the information. The more I know about how the track operates the harder that job seems. Last thing about the walls they were alot worse before they got better. Do you remember cars flying out of turn 2 and 4 because the walls were slanted so badly? It's not that bad yet. :unsure:

There has been recent discussion about the future of SAS; both here and the thread started by PACECAR. I think we can all agree that there is potential for the land under SAS to be sold, but until it happens, we need to support the track in any way we can. We all know Watson Road will be widened and become a major thoroughfare, but that doesn't mean the property under SAS or Alamo Dragway will be attractive to anyone.

Until the land owners say something, let's support the track and it's management. Remember, if we lose it, what else do we have? Think of the track proposals that have been brought forward and went nowhere.

All it takes these days is one well connected neighbor to stop a track proposal in the idea stage.

Glad to see Mike taking steps to improve SAS,I am really glad to see all classes running heats,last time I was at SAS, there were just a feature in late models,need to see heats there too,I havent been to SAS in a number of years,because of the lack of getting the races over in a timely manor,Mike I hope that is one of your main goals is to get a quick and good run show,I love to go to the pits after and mingle,but when the checkers are droping for the last race at 12-1 pm,then its a long drive back to Boerne or anywhere at that hour,so making going to the pits out,starting at 7:30 there is no reason the show cant be over by 10:30,just hope thats in your plans for making the track better.We talked a few months back on your new bomber/roadrunner class,sounds like a good class and alot of fun to watch. As most know Im a big fan of dirt but do like to see good asphalt races too,so good luck to you and hope your new plans work.Have to try SAS out again.

I'm glad to see that Mr. Sepich is giving us another view of the issue - The Track's. I will atmit that I was one of naysayers that automatically had the demise of SAS when we all heard about Toyota comming to town. As it was stated the added exposure of new projects on that side of town will be good for the city and could be very benfitial for SAS. As TXTOM stated that until we know what is going to happen to SAS we should be supportive to the track we've got. The simple fact that track management is looking to help out all parties involved in racing The fan, the driver, and the track, is a rare sight in short track auto racing today. With the concerns of the two parties that pay the bills, this could be helpful to the long term plans of the track if it does get to say for another few years.

I agree with txtom. we need to support this track as long as it is with us. It is good to hear that the track is being proactive about the problems that it faced last year. I would like to see a definate start time for the ROMCO features. Having a set time makes it alot easier for the teams that have sponsors or fans that are there to see you run. It makes for a more professional show when the 'headliner' (ROMCO or any tour series) event has a set start time.

Alot will be based on what the land on and around the track will be zoned at,more than likely that whole area will be zoned commercial do to the growth of little businesses that will go up.The only problem might be if land zoned residental is next to the track where housing would be,I amagin that commercial zone will be miles from the track and it will be safe,all this exposure and the area will be booming no doubt,should attract alot more intrest in SAS and other forms of racing,what there paying at Toyota,there should be alot of new people wanting to build racecars.This Toyota plant will be good for all.

Archived