Picture from the past

txtom

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For those that didn't know, that was a mechanical wing on Rapp's car. His father was a retire military pilot and they fabricated the wing in Rick's shop. When Rick stepped on the brakes it stood almost straight up for down force into the turns of the road course. It would lay flat when off the brakes for the straights. It was a really neat set-up.

RE: Post #1/Car #96: Back in about '85, I saw a similiar Late Model in a shop in Magnolia TX. But, I don't think it was #96, and as I recall, it had no white coloring. I believe the car I saw was a former Butch Lindley Stock Car, so maybe the same car, maybe not.

For those that didn't know, that was a mechanical wing on Rapp's car. His father was a retire military pilot and they fabricated the wing in Rick's shop. When Rick stepped on the brakes it stood almost straight up for down force into the turns of the road course. It would lay flat when off the brakes for the straights. It was a really neat set-up.

Shades of Jim Hall! Hall did that on at least one of his Chapparal cars in the 60's.

To this day, I still think Rapp is one of the best late Model Racers to ever come out of Texas. When you can take a boxy LMS Nova and out run the offset cookie cutter Bopps and Dillons of the day like he did when he won the 1980 Championship at San Antonio, or win the TIDA Championship in that white #99 that didn't have a straight piece of tubing anywhere on it, you gotta be a great driver.

Rapp was just that.

• 5 weeks later...

Also on the Rick Rapp car-- the whole underneath was sleek with styrafoam sheets. The first year it got so hot under there that it fried wires and brakes! LOL! Gotta love it! Tom we were very lucky to live in an era when the imagination could run wild and rule makers were pisssed--I think you know who i mean!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The 96 car in the picture is Greg Davidson ...the car was painted at Magnolia Paint and Body (David Lege) under the supervision of Conrad Nelson...Conrad had put together the sponsorship deal and also I think paid for some engine work for the TWS race at (Northwest Engine and Supply (Jud)....I picked out the style of the numbers from a Jr. Hanley race car and my lettering guy Pat ?...(my sometimers is kicking in again) did the lettering and air brushing...pic does not do justice as to how nice that car really looked...........

• 4 months later...
The great Bobby Allison

Thanks for the photos txtom. I have a whole album full of Texas World Speedway photos both stock and Indy cars, and every race program from late 70's to late 80's. Even from the last ARCA race in which the guest drivers were Dale Earnhardt, Ken Schrader, and Darrell Waltrip. Thanks again!

Archived