Old Houston and Corpus Racing Photos

Budman

I think many of us know where most of the old racing photos from Austin and San Antonio are. What I don't know is where and who has them from the old days of Houston racing. I'm talking about Playland and Meyer, for the most part and some of those other old tracks from the 40s and 50s in the Houston area. Who was/were the photographer(s), and where are those photos now? Who has them? Any websites you know of?

Also, I'd like to know the same about the Corpus area.

I think we all love to see those old photos. I'd like to get some more of them on here.

Please let us hear from you!

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone interested in a DVD of Playland Park Speedway and Meyerland Speedway, IM or email me with your contact info. It's a bunch of home movie footage shot in the 50's in 8mm. There was no sound, so they've overdubbed some oldies music and Charles did some comentary. I think it came out real good, I am going to burn some DVD's , you'll see it isn't professional, but it is pretty cool. If any of you get the Houston/Heights Tribune, I am helping Sharon Lauder put together some articles to run on Playland and Meyerland Speedways. It should come out this spring, when I get some exact dates on the print I will let you know. I am mainly providing photos and names and dates and she is writing the articles, like I said when I get some exact dates of the print I will let you know.

P.S. There is also newer footage from the 60's and 70's, there is some of old Almeda Speedway, some from Moody andClarey, and some breif shots from old Houston Dragway off of Gulf Freeway.

Archived