I.M.C.A, minnies

thumper

To race up front at eather CC track you will need a fast car,period.The purse does not justify such a car,Therefore I dont see many new teams comming to this division.

I disagree with you there GB. Purse has very little to do with the decision to race a car. Big trophies - yes. Big purses - no.

The truth is that is most of us got started because we thought it would be a kick in the butt. We raced for the pure fun of it, the thrill of competition, the adrenalin rush or just to extend ourselves as people.

Big purses do attract the fast, experienced racers like yourself. At first everyone is all for big purses, but after the big boys move in and take the big money every week, the little guys go do something else.

And as far as attracting "new blood," there are very few first time racers who honestly believe they will be seeing checkered flags right away. Of course, there are some who think they will be getting a call from Brian France or Red Bull as soon as their Bomber qualifies for the B-Main, but that daydream comes to an abrupt end about the first time they see a green flag drop and the rest of the field leaves them in the dust.

I like a lot of your ideas, though, GB. Especially the idea of starting a true entry level 4 cylinder class for present day passenger cars. I think it has been tried in the past, but the rules didn't allow EFI or multi-valve engine configurations.

Nick

WELL GB IF I WAS SMART YOU SAY ... WHEN JESSIE AND I BUILT THAT CAR .THE RULES AT CC WOULD NOT FIT THAT CAR .SO I SET IT UP TO RUN SLICKS .AND GO FAST .NOW AS FOR THE DRIVER .YOU KNOW WHAT HE CAN DO ..NOW IF WE DECIDED TO RACE ALOT THIS YEAR AT CC WITH THAT CAR .YOU COULD BE ASSURED IT WOULD NOT TAKE ME LONG TO ADJUST FOR THOSE TIRES .BUT THEN WE MAY BE SO FAST ALONG WITH WILL YOU.D HAVE TO STAY HOME .OR YOU WOULD CRY THAT WE HAVE TO MUCH ADJUSTMENTS AND RACEN SPRINGS OR MOTOR OR SHOCKS OR SOMETHING YOU WOULD BITCH ABOULT .YOU ALREADY CRIED WHEN LALO WAS SPANKING YOUR BEHIND WITH HIS MOTOR .AND SET UP FOR SLICKS .BUT RUNNING ON STREET TIRES .YES THE OUTCOME LANDED IN YOUR FAVOR .FOR HE HAD LIFTER PROBLEMS . YOU OF ALL DRIVERS WOULD NOT WANT OUR CAR TO RUN WITH YOU .NORE WOULD IT BE FARE TO DO SO WITH OTHER DRIVERS THAT HAVE NOT WHAT WE HAVE .THATS WHY YOU RACE WITH THE THEM ..NOT SAYING WE WONT RACE THERE . IF WE RACE AT ALL . WE ALL KNOW WHY YOU CHANGE TRACKS .YOU GO WHERE YOU CAN WIN THE MOST RACES .IF YOU CANT WIN HERE .YOU GO THERE .I FIGURED YOU DONT WANT TO RACE ON THE DIRT .FOR 21 12 .AND OTHERS ARE TO FAST FOR YOU .YOU CANT GET YOUR WINS .WELL EASILY THAT IS .AND SAME AS TPS .NOW IM WITH YOU ON STARTING A CHEAPER CLASS . AND I AGREE WITH NICK ON THE MONEY PART .BUT JUST TO SHOW IM FARE AND NOBETTER THAN SOME I HAVE MY GRIPES AND AIR THEM OUT AS YOU OR ANYONE ELSE ..SO HAVE A GOOD AND SAFE RACE SEASON .

NEIL YOU ARE CORRECT .NO TIRE FAULT.JUST SOME IMPATENT MOVES .NO OIL SLICKS .AND REALLY MOST OF ALL GOOD FAST RACEN .IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT TIRE YOUR RUNNING THOSE THINGS WILL HAPPEN .

Nick,

Especially the idea of starting a true entry level 4 cylinder class for present day passenger cars

<cough Budweiser Racing Texas Twisters cough> at <cough Texas Thunder Speedway cough>

How much more entry level can you get than them?

Bill "Sarge" Masom

Still preaching to the choir

G.B. if I were you I would not run for mayor or anything lol. At least not here. After reading todays post it sounds like it all comes down to money and car count. 2 years ago at ccms I think we had a total 4 races that we had more than 21 cars, it paid $300 to win with 21 or more cars, I know this because I won 2 of them :D 300 bucks to win a feature in a mini stock race on a regular night is perty dang good money. I dont know what the payout is this year but I bet more cars = more money. So how you get more cars under the current rules sound like the simplest way to me. It will be hard with two tracks running thunders in corpus. These cars dont have to be fast, they just have to be there. Once again this is jmo on this day at this hour. Neon Will

Nick,

<cough Budweiser Racing Texas Twisters cough> at <cough Texas Thunder Speedway cough>

How much more entry level can you get than them?

Bill "Sarge" Masom

Still preaching to the choir

You need to do something about that cough, Sarge.. LOL

Sounds like the Texas Twisters are on the right track. But I don't think too many entry level mini teams will haul from CC or the Valley to Killeen every Saturday. I think this thread is pretty much CC oriented.

Nick

hey,,,,, there is new blood coming that's why WE are working hard on four cars. I know. I'm new, but i love everything about racing, from building the cars to racing them & meeting new people, i hope to help bring more cars out, maybe the money will come. one last thing just because I use the word love doesn't mean that i'm gay,,, not that there's anything wrong with that :lol: (sienfield) :lol:

And also G.B. I cant show up at ccms and run under tps rules with a locked diff, that would not be fair. Prolly make some people mad. Its a bummer that tps and ccms cant work something out atleast for one race this year. jmo again Neon Will

And also G.B. I cant show up at ccms and run under tps rules with a locked diff, that would not be fair. Prolly make some people mad. Its a bummer that tps and ccms cant work something out atleast for one race this year. jmo again Neon Will

Hell Will, let's just run with the locked trans....win the race let the fans see that and then get DQed....probably make some people mad.... :)

Hell Will, let's just run with the locked trans....win the race let the fans see that and then get DQed....probably make some people mad.... :)

Hey rachet jaw rick .you can lock in trans .you can run slicks .you can have what ever you want .but one thing is you cant drive .will i think its ok to go out and play .but to race a few races and take the money with what we have .would put us in the same level as gb . TIM .no one is upset .well i cant speek for anyone else .

NOW AS FOR THE DRIVER .YOU KNOW WHAT HE CAN DO ..

...run into a bunch of cars??? :huh:....... now rick look who.s talking i believe you hit someone one night .and broke her foot . lol . hows dee working out .

1. We now have ongoing discusssions of four cylinder racing in several divisions of this forum making it very difficult to keep up. Would be nice if there was a division just for four bangers.

2. The link to the Tx. thunder rules on CC's UPDATED web site needs an "r" added to work.

3. The updated rules have a $1200 claimer on the long block only, top 4 finish to make claim.

4. 7 1/4" street tires- most of the fast cars I've looked at were using Sumitoma HTR 200 size 215/50 r13, when new mine were 68 1/4" circumference. I believe Will found some other rim sizes that worked also.Got mine from the Tire Rack, told Sears also carries them.

5.FWD's may not lock diff.

6. Car weight is 2100 lbs. for all but air cooled VW's = 1700 lbs.

7. Saw no provision in rules as stated for TPS to run with us.

I like the idea of the IMCA Sport Compacts as an entry level class. A properly built car could be ran in this class & modified after a couple of years to move up to mini stock more like we run now. That same car could later be upgraded to TPS rules. Once the track operators finally realize we are running out of "traditional" cars for their V8 classes this to me is the next logical step & may help get the younger crowd coming!

It won't matter what we race, certain people will ALWAYS put more time/work/effort/knowledge/money into this sport than others, & I'm NOT saying that anyone isn't doing their homework, just like school some score higher than others.But heh, what do I know, I drive a short bus!

now rick look who.s talking i believe you hit someone one night .and broke her foot . lol . hows dee working out .

Uh....no.....someone hit me while I was passing...remember? Couldn't stand to get passed....came down on right front wheel...sent me over the hood...oh well....I still made the pass!!!!! :D

And D is working out fine!!!!!

Well it looks like I have succeded in what I set out to do and thats get people talking.I had no plans to get anyone upset but thats what forums are good at.Now this subject is primarly on CCs site but it is meant for everyone.I feel I need to apologise for letting my comments become abusive.

Oldtimer,my message to you was to take advantage of track testing time at CC Speedway with the lesser tires with one of your secondary cars to help you with your flagship car.You have 3 cars so its easy to take advantage of this being you live closeby.Racing is an ongoing learning experience and besides you can have fun on your off nites from Pro Sedans.And help CC Speedway get going again.Everybody wins that way.

Will,I was using you as a good example of what can happen if you make a restricted class like Thunders have to run with full out race cars like Pro Sedans.Its like allowing Super Street cars to race against Bombers by using the same tire.Its not fair to the dedicated regular even if its to get more cars.I know you are too much of a gentelman to take advantage of people but someone will.I cant even get the Thunder rules to come up on the website.Sorry to put you in such a position.

Neil,I have always been a supporter of Pro Sedans and see them as the upper level of 4 cyl racing in South and central Texas.I dont know how many cars showed up each race,I only looked at feature results and that was shortsided.I just think it would be great if 30 to 40 cars showed up every event and the race was a long one like late models to make it not similar to a reg Sat nite show.Thats just winter daydreaming on my part.

Don,I was not trying to belittle your track On the contrary,I have had many great times there.I was hoping the response would be that the purse would grow as the car count grew and maybe it will.With an over 50 year history and generations of familys involved CC Speedway has the best chance to attract new Thunder cars.I just did not want them to be discouraged by having to go against superior cars.I would really like it if the purse increase started at 16 cars like Super Streets but that just my opinion again.You are right that everyone needs to work together and CC Speedway is the place that makes 4 cyl racers feel as important as the V8 cars.I would love to see some of the V8 guys try the 4 cyls,they might be pleasantly surprised.

Nick,I respectfully disagree that money is not an important way to attract new cars.Prehaps a novice driver may not think of first place money but there are many drivers and car builders right now that are inactive because of the cost or time requirments of racing a V8 car,but a good purse would make them consider making the switch to a 4 banger to stay active in racing without making it a way of life.Maybe you can recomend a way to get the inactive big car racers to become intrested in us.I know they still like racing.There is a wall between minnies and big cars that needs to come down. Every now and then I talk to a V8 guy about racing a mini and they get a little excited but do not want to be made fun of by their peers.

Pappy,I know you have always had the best intrests of the series in general rather than you own personal agenda at heart..I think its fantastic how you deal with the public,fans especially and thats exactly what the sport needs.If everyone would welcome the fans after the race and give little tokens away,the fans would feel more important.That what CC Speedway does better than anyone else,making the fans a part of whats gouing on.Keep up the good work.

Now comes the part that will make people hate me even more.Before I get angry threats,just let me say this is only my opinion,not connected to anyone else.The reason I brought up the IMCA deal is to adress a situation that many agree is a problem.We have only a ceartian number of minnies in Corpus and to split them on the same nite does not help anyone.My solution would be to have them not be the same.I might be wrong but I think the dirt track is the perfect place to have the entry level of minnies,partially due to the fact that you can make one in a week with the plate type of car that I have personally raced and sponsered.This type of car is not allowed at CC Speedway,only a full cage car is.A plate car with reduced speed is plenty safe and can be very popular.Just get a 4 cyl car,gut it,plate it,put a 3 point roll bar and go race.They already have a claim rule so the result would be a fun way to race rather than the expensive and serious style.Many agree there is a place for this kind of race car and I think thats the perfect place.Now Tim before you and EJ jump all over me you have to realize that that Thunder car racing there is in jepority if no new teams can be found.I personally rather see a slight change in the cars rather than becomming extint.Nobody is going to build an entry level car to compete with hot rods.You did not have any ideas for increasing car count,this is only a thought.

This would give 4 cyl racers 3 different choices as to the level of car they wanted to have.Entry level on the dirt,modified stock on asphalt and full blown racer with Pro Sedans.No competetion between tracks for the same cars.Not to forget Rio Grande Speedway is going back to a real entry class with stock engines,6 inch tires and wheels,plate cars,600$ claimer with trade.The only bad part is its restricted to non V8 drivers but some are trying to change that.Any class needs any driver they can get nowdays.This is truly the least expensive car to race of all and had great success.Like Shawn,Cookie Man is building cars and gathering people to get involved.Many are people he races with on bikes and quads.

Sarge,your Texas Twister class will enjoy greas success if you promote it and dont restrict it.The only reason someone races an entry level class is because thats what they can afford.Its a great place for poor people,people with less skill,older people and beginners.The problem with racing is IT COSTS TOO MUCH for the average family to get involved.Sponsor money is scarce and prize money is,,,,,,,well you know.Show us all how its done and good luck.Im done with this whole subject now.I wish the best to everyone.

THUMPER FOR PRESIDENT.........NOT!!!!!!!!

I made my earlier post after going over the rules as posted on the CC web site & noticing several things discussed at drivers meeting were missing. Not what I thought was agreed to but if those are the rules that's fine. I have never agreed with all the rules but don't let that stop me from racing.

GB, when you hit the link for Tx. thunder rules & they don't come up, add missing 'r' to thunde. & they will come up.

TIRES have always been an issue for this class. From the Goodyear take offs Pops Carpenter used to get for us that were cheap but inconsistent to the Towel City retreads which I liked but others had issues with to the slicks that were expensive & ultimately led to the class being totally restructured to Tx. thunders. I've heard from a few that you can't race on this or that tire BUT the truth is you can race on ANY tire, just may not be able to use all the power you spent so much money for.

I ran a race with TPS in 93 & again in 95 when the rules were not nearly as favorable for CC cars; I had to add over 300 lbs. to make weight & we couldn't run the slicks TPS used. Enjoyed the challenge, made it into both races on time, but TPS ran much longer races then. To me it's not worth the expense now that their races are no longer than our regular features; the challenge WAS making the car work well for 50 laps or more. I might consider trying it again if the races were longer & at CC, but that's probably not going to happen.JMO.

Every one would like more money but for that to happen WE have to prove the VALUE of our product with close exciting RACES!!! We've done it before & we can do it again!!! This went from a class where people went for snacks or rest room to don't want to miss the mini stocks. The money will get better when the FANS are letting the track know THESE are the cars WE come to see.

GB, thanks for the kind words, just know I have nights when I don't handle things very well, either. You are not going to make me mad by trying to find solutions. I don't even get mad when the naysayers get on here & offer nothing constructive to the discussion. The nice thing about this is I don't have to hear them in person.

Either track, ANY track could benifit from a class like this, but a lack of enough cars to support this as presented means they end up racing with the existing class & either get discouraged & quit or upgrade to be competitive. Or they get wreck damage that requires repairs that make the car no longer legal. I know we lost cars before because of damage that owners didn't know how to repair & stay within rules as written.

Now I will take this time to let EVERYONE know I WILL NOT be running for President or any other office.ROFLMAO.

now rick look who.s talking i believe you hit someone one night .and broke her foot . lol . hows dee working out .

Uh....no.....someone hit me while I was passing...remember? Couldn't stand to get passed....came down on right front wheel...sent me over the hood...oh well....I still made the pass!!!!! :D

i.I dont know aBOULT THAT ONE RICK VIDEO DONT LIE .AND YOU CAME OVER TO SAY YOU WAS SORRY .LOL . SEE YAH .

WELL HELL GB WHY DID YOU HAVE TO SAY WHAT YOU SAID .THAT LAST POST HURT MY EYES ..YOU KNOW WE GIVE EACH OTHER HECK .WE AGREE TO DISAGREE ON ALOT OF THINGS .THATS LIFE .IM NOT ON HERE TO MAKE YOU MAD ALSO .AND I DONT TAKE WHAT YOU SAY AS DESTUCTIVE. . FACT 99.9 PERCENT OF WHAT YOU SAY AT ME .I FIND IT FUNNY .BUT I HAVE TO COME BACK AT YOU .TO DEFEND MY HONOR .LOL . SO SHOOT NOW YOU HAVE MADE THIS A BORE FROM HERE ON OUT OVER ALL THIS .. OWELL . BUT THERE IS TRUTH IN EVERYONES IDEALS .SOMEONE NEEDS TO PUT THEM IN ORDER AND RUN WITH IT .

i.I dont know aBOULT THAT ONE RICK VIDEO DONT LIE .AND YOU CAME OVER TO SAY YOU WAS SORRY .LOL . SEE YAH .

Yeah....sorry that they got mad I was passing didn't let me pass without running into me!!!!! LOL about the video...bring it back up...adjust your glasses...look at it again...maybe you need to come over and view it on a BIG SCREEN...less strain for your "oldtimer" eyes!!!! B)

And GB, I AM UPSET & MAD...I read that long a$$ post of yours TWICE and no mention at ALL of me!!!! You apologized to everyone else!!! What a fellow mini driver...BTW you left out Todd, Carl, Lalo, Chip, etc etc etc....LOL.... :P:P

Thanks to Talkin Corpus or whoever is UPDATING the web site! The link to Tx. Thunder rules has been corrected & FIRST PRACTICE is scheduled for FEB. 10 starting at 3 PM.Season starts MARCH 31. Now everyone has a date to plan to be ready.

Apparently I missed the LAST sentence of the rules:Any TPS car wishing to compete MUST utilize CCS tire rule and get authorization from Tech Director prior to competing.

Hope this clears some things up for everyone.NOW GET TO WORK ON THOSE RACE CARS!!!!

Archived