108 Wheelbase and hobbies

abrungot

If the 108's were written into THR rules... How many would show up..

and what are fair comprimises for the Wheelbase?

Nick this might be a good time to enrich us on the wheelbase advantage stuff..

A car having a wheelbase has a major advantage over one that doesn't. LOL

Actually, one or two inches difference in wheelbase is a minor consideration in handling. Very few drivers can tell the difference between a 112 and a 110 wheelbase. However, most would be able to feel the difference between a 112 and a 102. The 102 would feel more responsive, a good thing on a short track, but a bad thing on a longer track. A very short wheelbase car, like those run in TPS, is almost too responsive and may feel somewhat unpredictable or twitchy to the driver.

So, changing the wheelbase rules by a few inches is not a big deal at all from the handling point of view. However, by changing the wheelbase rules you are now letting other makes and models into the established mix. Some of the shorter wheelbase cars may have better (or worse) geometry than the existing cars which is probably the main reason why rules makers are hesitant to change the wheelbase rules.

Nick

We know if 108 were the rule at THR other cars may come from other tracks on their off nights. Here is something else to consider....If the Hobbies were a 108" class at THR there may be a few older racecars brought back into use. Older Street Stocks that may not be up to par with our "Super Stocks" (feels good to say Super Stock :D ) We all know there are cars just sitting out there that could be brought out and raced.

nick is correct . our car is 95 inch wheel base .lalos is i belive 100 plus .the longer car has a smoother feel throught the turns ,kinda soft . and if set up correct will let you power out better .does not turn in as good .our car lets you run in deeper in the turns and lets you turn down under better .but the trick on our car is to be able to put the power down without spinning .thats the harder part to work out .. the old mustang that crt ran at sas worked better at sas .95 inch rwd great but you have to respect it .it will bite you fast .longer alittle more forgiveing .

Doug,

I hate running Saturday night with just 9 cars and 1 heat.. think its an embarrisment...

Would rather place in the top 5 knowing there were 18-20 cars against...

Hobby rules have been the same for years... I think testing the 108 vs. 112 would be a very smart idea..

Looking at Metric cars.. Monte's regals Stock suspension.. Hobby motor's and 6" ride height..

most of the rest i think would be about even... if there was an issue.. a weight % change, or Total weight would even out most cars...

Aaron,

I think it would be appropriate for each track to revisit their own rules, to look for ways to liberalize their rules to become more inclusive, without putting their current regulars at a significant disadvantage.

I think the individual tracks over the years have become so restictive with their own sets of rules they are now shooting themselves in their collective foot when it comes to car counts.

This, of course would be the natural "FIRST STEP" toward the development of a common set of rules for all four of the asphalt short tracks in south and central Texasl. :)

I just see it this way, the THR Hobby rules and the SAS RR rules are very very simular, only minor difference, except for the fact the THR eliminates the 108's which alot of SAS RR cars are....

SAS elimates the Camero's, nova's, and such in the RR's since they do have an advantage over the metric's....

I just hope somewhere along the line they will let 108's run up there with the hobby's, since the THR hobby's can run down here with little to no problems... :)

Maybe allow the 108" cars into THR Hobby rules but only full frame cars...no Novas or Camaros....

I agree with Mickey, and I don't think the 108" cars would have an advantage so long as all of the other rules were the same. I've seen THR Hobby cars run very well in the RR class at SAS on more than one occasion.

Archived