Just wondering?

Tps_55

Sure... all us oldtimers know Mike.

He was badly burned in the biggest fire ever seen at SAS several years ago. Can't seem to remember the year though.

He was a very good LM shoe and was always in the lead pack at SAS for many years.

Nick

I see Mike Meeks once in awhile out at Zuehl Airfield, which is very near the San Antonio Raceway Dragstrip.

Meeks has a hangar out there, and has it filled with all kinds of toys. By toys, he has sprint cars, motorcycles, a couple Bonneville cars, an airplane or two, a go-cart or two. He built the new hangar about a year ago, and he may have culled some of this stuff when he moved.

You may remember Meeks as being involved in the big fire at San Antonio that occured on the frontstretch during a TIDA race. it was September, 1989, and involved Johnny Walker of Houston, Mike Denman of C.C., and Beaver Stelzig and Meeks of San Antonio.

Meeks was burned bad.

An interesting fact about this particular race was the presence of Dave Despain, who was there to do a story about Neil Upchurch and the TIDA series. He interviewed a few drivers, notably Greg Davidson and Rick Rapp. The fire also made the show on ESPN that Despain had at that time; I do not remember the name of it. Race was won by Rapp, followed by Greg.

If you are anywhere near this area, you can sometimes catch Meeks at his hangar on Saturday mornings. He is at the North East corner of the runway, and you will see his racing stuff if the door is open.

Since he's your Uncle, is he still racing?

I take my Grandson out to Zeuhl once in awhile, and we ran into Mike out there.

He was very friendly and approacheable, and he invited my grandson Michael into his hangar, and allowed him to climb into or on anything he wanted. Michael had a blastthere, and Meeks and I talked TIDA stuff for a couple hours.

Even offered to take him on an airplane ride, but my daughter would have lost her mind if I had taken Meeks up on that.

Yea it took only ten min. But like i said he is one most of the reason why i got into racing and i have a go cart that i raced him in on our little track we have out here and beat him so i think i have a chance to win a real race someday.

One of the nicest guys to ever be in racing. All you had to do was stop by and he would answer anything you wanted or help with anything, or just talk racing for as long as you wanted. For awhile, he lived around the corner from Mom and Dads house over in Highland Hills area, down the street from the Beans. He built the roll cages in our mid 80's Bomber cars. The detail he put into those things made them some of the safest you've ever seen, for being built from scratch.

As I remember, there in the 80's before the big fire, he was taking that yellow #5 down into Mexico and won a big LM race down there, on the road course(I believe).

Then he was racing a sprinter up at HOT in Elm Mott several years ago as I remember.

Billy

Mike Meeks and Mike Denman were burned in that TIDA-LM four car wreck at San Antonio Speedway. It was in September of 1989. ESPN was at the track covering the race and taped the terrible crash.

I visited both of them many times at the Brooke Army Medical Center (BAMC) burn treatment facility. The then Chief Inspector of TIDA-LM, Cotton Sherland did too. We were both there from 3:00am till dawn that first morning. It was one of those very regrettable racing incidents that makes you wonder why you manage a racing series. Cotton retired from the TIDA-LM after that 1989 season.

Mike Denman was released from BAMC well before Mike Meeks. Denman returned to TIDA-LM racing. To my knowledge, Meeks never raced again.

I am glad to hear that he is doing well.

And yes, his nephew John Miesen is competing in his first season of racing in the Texas Pro Sedans series. John drives a VW Sedan. The car is painted the same as Mike's TIDA-LM pale blue Camaro and is #55 in honor of his uncle Mike Meeks, who as John said earlier "I love him dearly". "He is my uncle and most of the reason why I got into racing".

Neil Upchurch

Former President

TIDA-LM Series

No he is not racing anymore. He is building a roadster right now and that takes any spare time he has. And Neil he did race after he was burned he used to race at sas for a long time after that then he got into sprint cars.

Well i was just wondering how many people on here knew him. He is going to be helping me build a new car hopefully for next year.

New-new or rebuilding a past champion car that was just sold through TXSZ...

(Randy, I think we know who bought the Lanny's Bug!!!)

LOL :lol::lol:

On a serious note, I have not had the pleasure to meet your uncle, but based on the responses here regarding the man - with his help, you will be in Victory Lane very soon. Cool Deal John!!

NO NO WE ARE GOING TO BUILD A NEW ONE FROM THE GROUND UP AGAIN IT WAS SO MUCH FUN THE FIRST TIME WE DECIDED TO DO IT AGAIN

It can be fun building a car from the ground up, not counting cursing, the busted knuckles, weld burns and broken tools...LOL

Funny how all that seems to just go away as you pull that car onto the track for the first time!! :D

Archived