MINI STOCK

mini9r,I was wondering if you found a way to race yet?Its early in this years season but many things have happened.All the purses for minis around here has dropped and the car count at STS for minis has dropped.We got rained out for CCs grand opening so we have to wait another week for results on car counts.The famous 1/2 mile track in San Antonio closed so there is a gap in the Pro Sedan scedual.RGS is seeing a car count increase and responded with a slight increase in payouts.I donk know if any tracks in the Dallas aera are still running them.

Sarge,I am curious if your track is considering runnining them ever again and how is the Twister class doing.I think thats what you call the entry class.Is your 4 cyl racing better with only Jr minis now?Looks like you have lots of cars in total in the pits.

Your Tezas Twister is very similar to the original Thunder cars of RGS in 1992.Can you say what your likes and dislikes are about that class?And is there a place for a grown man who wants to race a 4 cyl car at your track now?Thank you for listening. Thumper

I don't know about car counts, but 105 Speedway in Cleveland runs the mini class.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thumper,

I don't see Mini Stocks being brought back anytime soon. They were put on notice at the start of last season that the car counts needed to improve. They didn't, and they are not a class now.

About the Cottman Transmissions Teen Mini Stocks. It is a bit early to see what is going to happen there. The whole idea with the Mini Stocks - Jr Mini Stocks last year was to give a father - son, father - daughter, ect combo a chance to race at the same track with the same car. I think Texas Thunder was the only track in the state that had both classes identical in rules (other than age of driver). Didn't help either car counts.

Budweiser Racing Texas Twisters are going great! Have averaged twenty cars so far this year. I would have to pull out the stats from last year, but if we didn't average twenty a race last year it was damn close.

As far as my likes and dislikes. I like the fact that it is about the cheapest way to go racing, PEROID! Can't get any cheaper than the Twisters. Dislikes, I still can't afford to go racing! LOL

It is a great class for those who just want to go out and have fun. No purse, no BS, just mash the gas and hang on. We have two drivers that ran Twisters last year that have moved up to the Cleo Bay Honda Street Stocks. One of the drivers, Brian Mendenhall, was the first person to ever claim a Twister. He promptly had it claimed from him a couple of weeks later. In fact I think he was claimed twice. The Twister champion was claimed more than once.

There should be about 30 of those cars in the Killeen area. It is going to be a blast if they all show up at once. Will probably have to run two A-Mains, like we used to do with the Texas Thunders (hobbies).

Here are the complete Budweiser Racing Texas Twister rules. All 14 of them.

1. THESE ARE NOT RACE CARS, THEY ARE CARS THAT RACE!

2. BODY: ANY SUB-COMPACT MID-SIZE CAR, FRONT WHEEL DRIVE, THAT CAME OEM (ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT MANUFACTURER) WITH FOUR-CYLINDER OR SIX CYLINDER. ABSOLUTELY NO GUTTING, CUTTING ALLOWED ON BODY. ALL GLASS MOULDING AND PLASTIC MUST BE REMOVED FROM EXTERIOR. DOORS MUST BE SECURED (I.E., CHAINED MINIMUM 5/16”, WELDED, ETC. RECOMMEND WELDING DOOR SEAMS). STOCK IGNITION MUST BE IN PLACE AND OPERATIONAL.

3. NUMBER: ALL CARS WILL BE NEATLY PAINTED AND NUMBERED.

NUMBERING MUST BE OF CONTRASTING COLOR. DOORS WILL HAVE 3” WIDE AND 21” HIGH. TOP NUMBER WILL BE 3” WIDE AND 31” HIGH.

4. ROLL CAGE: ROLL/OVER-BAR MUST BE USED. MAY BE A SINGLE BAR ATTACHED IN THREE (3) DIFFERENT LOCATIONS OR FOUR POINT ROLL CAGE MAYBE INSTALLED WITH NO GUTTING. NO BARS MAY EXTEND PAST THE PASSENGER AREA. WINDSHIELD SCREEN MUST BE USED WITH AT LEAST 3 1/4” BARS PROTECTING THE DRIVER/ PASSENGER.

5. DRIVER EQUIPMENT: 4 POINT RACING SAFETY BELTS MINIMUM 3” WIDE REQUIRED.

HELMET-SNELL 85 REQUIRED, WINDOW NETS REQUIRED. PORTABLE FIRE EXTINGUISHER

REQUIRED AND MOUNTED WITHIN REACH OF THE DRIVER. NECK BRACE REQUIRED. SFI

APPROVED RACE SUIT REQUIRED. SFI GLOVES AND SHOES RECOMMENDED.

6. TRANSMISSION: OEM ONLY.

7. SUSPENSION AND STEERING: OEM ONLY.

8. FUEL CELL/BOAT TANK RECOMMENDED: STOCK IGNITION WIRING MUST BE IN PLACE AND OPERATIONAL WITH OEM STOCK IN-TANK FUEL PUMPS.

9. BRAKES: ALL FOUR BRAKES MUST BE OPERATIONAL, NO BIAS, OEM ONLY.

10. TIRES AND WHEELS: MANUFACTURERS RECOMMENDED ONLY FOR THAT MAKE AND MODEL...NO RACING TIRES/WHEELS.

11. BALLAST: NO ADDED WEIGHT ALLOWED.

12. BATTERY: MUST BE PLACED IN PLASTIC BOAT BATTERY BOX AND SECURELY MOUNTED WITH METAL STRAPS.

13. CLAIM: CAR CANNOT BE CLAIMED ON FIRST RACE NIGHT. NO CLAIM WILL BE ALLOWED IF 10 OR LESS CARS IN FEATURE. TOP FOUR FINISHER-S ARE SBUJECT TO CLAIM FOR $500 (CASH ONLY). CLAIMS ARE MADE AT THE FRONT GATE AND MUST BE MADE BETWEEN 8:00—8:30 P.M. CLAIM INCLUDES ENTIRE CAR EXCEPT DRIVERS PERSONAL SAFETY EQUIPMENT. ONCE CLAIM IS MADE, NO REFUND, EXCEPT FOR CLAIM REFUSAL.

14. CLAIM REFUSAL:

1. FIRST OFFENSE: $500 FINE, CASH ONLY AND MUST BE PAID AT THE FRONT TICKET BOOTH BEFORE COMPETING AGAIN.

2. SECOND OFFENSE: BARRED FROM CLASS AND BARRED FROM RACING ANY OTHER CLASS UNTIL SUCH TIME FINE IS PAID.

FINAL NOTES

THESE RULES ARE NOT ALL INCLUSIVE. SO, IF IT DOES NOT SAY YOU CAN, YOU CAN’T. TRACK TECH WILL HAVE THE FINAL SAY ON ALL DISCREPANCIES. ASK, PRIOR TO MODIFYING, BUILDING OR GUESSING.

If you have any other questions, call Pat Wilson at 254-290-6262

Hope this helps,

Bill "Sarge" Masom

Texas Thunder Speedway PR/Media

mini9r,I was wondering if you found a way to race yet?Its early in this years season but many things have happened.All the purses for minis around here has dropped and the car count at STS for minis has dropped.We got rained out for CCs grand opening so we have to wait another week for results on car counts.The famous 1/2 mile track in San Antonio closed so there is a gap in the Pro Sedan scedual.RGS is seeing a car count increase and responded with a slight increase in payouts.I donk know if any tracks in the Dallas aera are still running them.

Sarge,I am curious if your track is considering runnining them ever again and how is the Twister class doing.I think thats what you call the entry class.Is your 4 cyl racing better with only Jr minis now?Looks like you have lots of cars in total in the pits.

Your Tezas Twister is very similar to the original Thunder cars of RGS in 1992.Can you say what your likes and dislikes are about that class?And is there a place for a grown man who wants to race a 4 cyl car at your track now?Thank you for listening. Thumper

Thumper, We are racing at 105 in clevland now. they only race the minis every other week but with it being a 3.5 hour drive to the track that is all I can afford.

For my 2cents worth. I think one of the reasons for the mini car count to fall at Texas Thunder last year was because they cut our racing time to feature only.

mini9r,you are right that only running a feature discourages new cars.When we ran mini outlaws at CC Speedway years ago we only had 8 lap heats and 15 lap features.It wasent worth all the work for 10 minutes of race time.I found out later why,the guys that were fast always treated their tires with compound softeners and they wouldnt last much longer than that before they fell off.

Is 105 the track in Cleavland?Dont they run mini late models?Is Chris and Mike Gallen still running?What do they pay?I would like to give you a little advise from an old time racer even though its probably not wanted.After looking at the Texas Twister class if this track is close to you you SHOULD race it on your off nites.Im sure its fun and without a big commintment.And you can run a ministock type of car although stock.You can even buy one at the track for 500$ and race that nite.With your ministock experience you should win often enough.I did not see any restrictions on drivers.Its like an old song,if you cant be with the one you love,love the one your with.

Sarge,your twister class is very similar to the Thunder cars now racing in McAllen.It IS the least expensive form of racing but it is still racing.I have seen this kind of racing flourish and also have seen it destroyed by a bad or mean attitude by the track management.Some of the people that run this class cant afford to race another class and should be accepted as a racer like any other racer.A guy with a 2$ car is just as proud of his machine and accomplishments as a late model driver.Properly managed it will see the car count you antisipate.Im not trying to sound like a know it all but I do know that its important to make the "little" guy feel important or he will be gone.

There are 3 things that I would petetion for change if I were racing there.First I would like a purse,even a tiny one like RGS pays.To win a small amount is to have something to show off and be proud about.Its more about pride than money.Second,in my opinion a claim should have a trade as a part of or option to a claim.I have seen championships decided by malicious claims where the points leader was left with no option.Sell and have no car for the next race or not sell and loose all points.I believe the purpose of a claim is to keep the cars in check,not put someone on foot.Third I would eliminate the fine for not selling.If a guy wants to be DQed for not selling he might should sit out a week but to require a fine to be paid will probably see him gone for good.A person who borrowed a car for the nite or has borrowed parts or some other good reason he cant sell should not be barred from racing.And many of these poor racers will never have 500$ anyway.Those 3 things have the makings of being mean spirited even though Im sure theres good reasons they exist.Theres nothing I would like better than to see your track get 50 Twisters a nite.Prehaps the other tracks without 4 cyl racers can learn something instead of asking "Why dont we have more cars?" I wish you great success and if it ever stops raining in Corpus I hope to start my 38th year of racing ministocks.Thanks for listening, Thumper

the little guy turned into the big guy down the road .gb .. you made me read alot .thats ok i like to read ..and for a change i like and agreed with alot of what you said .i dont see why anyone would race without some kind of money return for if they are racen free .then someone is comeing way out ahead of the game .

.,.i dont see why anyone would race without some kind of money return for if they are racen free .then someone is comeing way out ahead of the game .

Just curious who that might be...

The tracks aren't coming out ahead. In fact, we're seeing more and more short tracks close every year.

The series aren't coming out ahead. Over the past few years we seen several of the better known racing series fold or reorganize.

The racers aren't coming out ahead. We all know that.

There are some who are coming out ahead. The companies building popular chassis, making racing parts, manufacturing and selling racing tires, making and selling safety equipment and refining and selling racing fuel all seem to be doing OK.

Oh, and I almost forgot. Those of us who run racing web sites are making a killing - well, I see where Jayski did anyway.. LOL

Nick

Thanks for the advise Thumper, However Texas Thunder is still a 2.5 hour drive for me and right now with gas prices the way they are running every other week is all I can afford anyway. Yes 105 is running a mini late but you still have to run a stock chassis. so far they have had about 15 cars showing up.

http://www.105speedway.net/

Wow the more things change the more they stay the same.I have not raced in 20 years but am looking forward to building a car for next year.This year I will watch the races in Corpus and see what seems to work best, build a car from there.Take the rules and pin them to the wall and start building a car to them.

Like my friend Larry told a group of whinning racers at a meeting one time"H*** we could beat you with a Nash Metropolitan........because we Race.".

See ya'll arround, Rennie.

Thumper,

Good thoughts. I would like to clarify a few things though.

To win a small amount is to have something to show off and be proud about.Its more about pride than money

Each night the top four get trophies. If we have to go to two features, the top four in both features will get a trophy. Second point. Add a purse and the BS starts. You drive in this class for the fun and thrill of it. If you want to get paid, then this is not the class for you. We have several other options if that is what you want.

Second, in my opinion a claim should have a trade as a part of or option to a claim

The top four in the Twisters are claimable, by ANYBODY! I, as a track employee, could plunk down $500 cash tomorrow night and claim one. ANYONE can claim a Twister. So if I claimed a Twister, what the heck do I have to swap? Nothing. So it wouldn't work. And the claim needs to be made before the features start, so I have no way of knowing which car I could get. If I am the first one with the money, I get the winner, if I am third, I get the third place finisher. If more than four want to claim, then the names go in a hat, and the first name pulled gets the winner. Repeat until you draw four names, and hand everyone else back their money.

You do realize that the claimed driver gets the $500, right? So he is not out anything except a car. And with these being cars that race, not race cars, it makes it pretty easy to get back out there next week. It shouldn't take more that a couple of nights of work to turn a hoopty into a Twister.

And most of the guys have made money off of the claim. Larry Tuerck, was claimed several times last year, and the most he ever had in any one car was $300. He made money each and every time he got claimed. Even if you claimed a car for $500, and it gets claimed, your out......... nothing. Put the $500 back on the table and claim yourself a car next week.

I would eliminate the fine for not selling

Not on your life! That would be the death knell for this class. If you have something on your Twister you don't want to sell, don't race it. If your not willing to sell it for $500, keep it in your driveway.

Borrowing parts and stuff. Well, these are cars that race, not race cars, so what parts are you borrowing that can't be bought at AutoZone? Cause if your getting the parts from somewhere else, (racing parts) your running illegal. Stock OEM parts, PERIOD. If you did lend me something, oh lets say, an alternator and battery, and I get claimed, I take the $500 to AutoZone, buy a new alternator and battery and give them to you. I would then use the remaining money to get another Twister going. No one should be out ANYTHING.

Truly Thumper, thank you for you interest in this class. Pat Wilson has tried several different ways to get a truly affordable entry level class going at his track. Some of what you talked about was tried, and didn't work. This so far, is looking good. Like I said in my earlier reply to you, we have two drivers that started in Twisters last year, that are now in the Street Stock class. And both are doing very well.

Wish you could come up and see them for yourself. If you ever do make it up here on a race night, let me know, I would love to have a long racing talk with you.

Bill "Sarge" Masom

Texas Thunder Speedway PR/Media

Archived