What track is this?

Truck99

I was working with Google earth today and decided to look at SAS from the air. What I found was SAS and a much larger track to the NW of SAS that appears to be a very large dirt track from days gone by. Anybody know what this track was? It's very big. In the photo, SAS is in the lower right and the area I'm talking about is Northwest of SAS.

1634SASaerial.jpg

Guest RandyBorlace

i heard its an old horse training place, could be wrong, i have heard many stories about it though, the real shame is Texas Dirt right next to SAS sitting..... :(

Chase,

That was covered in another thread a while back; the consensus was then that it is an old horse track or horse training facility.

I first noticed it when I was flying around a few years ago with a friend, and we flew over the area. We buzzed it a couple times, and there was a distinct outline of the course.

There was some speculation that it was a 2 mile auto track that is listed in Bexar County's history, but the location is wrong. That track, which was also known as San Antonio Speedway, was located between Pleasanton Road and South Flores, miles from the location in your pic here.

Guest bigfat

I went on a walk about over in that area and that photo must be pretty old. There is no sign of any type of track in that area. NO TRESPASSING???? Whatever! ;)

Origanally that was going to be either a 1 and 1/2 mile or 2 mile track. There were some pretty heavy investors involed. But the closer it came to being built, some of the investors started backing out, for what ever reasons. This was in the early 70's. The only thing that was ever done was the ground work for the actual track.

Terry barden

• 5 weeks later...

Ok, I couldn't stand it anymore. My curiosity got the best of me. I drive by SAS on Hwy 16 everyday so I thought I would drive down the road going west past the track (Fischer Road, I think) this evening. The road takes a sharp right a mile or so down and then a sharp left a mile after that. I pulled over at the second bend in the road and you can see this thing out in the field. A dirt road takes out into the field from the pavement going right to this thing so I decided what the heck. I stayed on the dirt road and drove right to the backside of what would have been the south turns (turns 1 & 2 at SAS). It definetly has high banks. I really wanted to walk out there and climb up on the bank and look it over :ph34r: good but my fear of being shot outweighed my curiosity. Does anyone have any real info about this supposed track? Sure as heck looks like an old track to me. Not sure why but this thing really has my curiosity peaked.

I'd have to say Terry Barden's (ROMRD) explanation is probably the best one.

I thought it may have been an old horse track, but it is two big. It appears to be above a mile and 3/4, bigger than most horse tracks, which are closer to 1 mile.

If there is banking in the corners, it definitely adds merit to what he said. Never seen a horse track banked.

Would be interesting to know more about this. I got a couple old timers I can ask about it.

I'd have to say Terry Barden's (ROMRD) explanation is probably the best one.

I thought it may have been an old horse track, but it is two big. It appears to be above a mile and 3/4, bigger than most horse tracks, which are closer to 1 mile.

If there is banking in the corners, it definitely adds merit to what he said. Never seen a horse track banked.

Would be interesting to know more about this. I got a couple old timers I can ask about it.

I think Bruce Mabrito included this track in his research of race tracks in Bexar County. I'll email Bruce to see if he wants to get in on this conversation.

Nick

racevw112 Posted on Aug 16 2006, 01:56 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also there was a 2 mile dirt track during the 1920's. Do not know the locations.  

Phewww.

Can you imagin throwing it slideways at the end of the straight on a 2 mile dirt track?

Im goin fast momma :ph34r:

I do have some information of a 3/4 track back in San Antonio that was run in 1912?

Also there was a 2 mile dirt track during the 1920's. Do not know the locations.

The following is taken from a compilation put together by Bruce Mabrito:

The 2 mile track you are referring to was located between Pleasanton Road and South Flores, and South of military.

It was the first track known as San Antonio Speedway.

Unsure about a 3/4 mile track, but there is reference to a mile track at the old San Antonio Fairgrounds at South Presa and East Southcross. Track was used for racing everything; Dogs, Horses, Bicycles, Car and Motorcycles.

This one ran in the 1910-1912 era. The approximate location is where the Riverside Golf Course is now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Any body whom wished could log into the Bexar County Tax accesors website and with a little creative usage of the map figure out the current owners and deed info for the land and then work back through the deed records that the Bexar County Courthouse has online and find out exactly who owned the land and when. Through County Tax accesor websites and County Courthouse records, which are online for a growing number of counties, you can figure out pretty much anything about a peice of land from who owned it all the way to what is and has ever been on it... taxnet.com is also a pretty good source... I dunno what I think about all this info being online and so easy to get at, but alas anyone who wants to can figure out who owned it.

• 6 months later...

Archived