USRA SLM @ SAS

fan in stands

I was in SA this past weekend and enjoyed the races at SAS. But something stuck out to me and was wondering what the rules are on this now that it isnt ROMCO anymore. When did the teams start doing pit stops? before you could only change a tire if it went flat, can you change tire now throughout the race? Personally i think that it would be considerably cheaper if you werent allowed tires to change. If i was racing that would mean that i would now need 2 sets of tires per race instead of 1. What do tires cost these days.

Thanks

PS im not complaining just wondering and thinking maybe it would help on the cost of racing.

I haven't seen anything in the USRA rules to prohibit it. I'll say one thing, those mid-race tire changes added some excitement to an otherwise boring race plagued by attrition. I couldn't believe the number of cars that fell out due to breakage.

I am pretty sure Bendele just did the right sides but it was hard to tell from the stands... I did think the live pits were cool and very very unexpected... I didnt even know live pits were legal since the pit area is so small at the track... I did like though and I think it added alot of excitement to the race!

Clarification: Teams get 6 tires for the race...the 4 they start on and 2 for any use after. Last season, from what I worked, we let them change 1 per yellow unless more were damaged. It seemed the crowd loved the pit stops... something different...and then the race back to the front for those that pitted. It wasn't a surprise for the teams cause we always talk about these situations in the drivers meeting. I thought they were cool.

One thing that bugged me about the rule (correct me if I'm wrong)...

I didn't like the fact the rule was made in the driver's meeting....

Why wasn't the rule made ahead of time? So the fans would know about it and - more importantly - the teams would know about it and be able to plan for it ahead of time?

Maybe I'm wrong..and/or maybe the teams had an idea this was coming..but introducing a new rule in the driver's meeting...leads me to believe that's a bad trend of making new rules/rules as you go along..

JMO...

I would rather see more cars then have everyone have to buy new tires at each race,it is obvious the purses do not support this at the races if that is the case.Correct me if I am wrong on what I read in the above posts.I think that the ABC rule is keeping some of the cars out ,mostly due to them having the older body styles.

you don't have to qualify on brand new tires, but you have to register and get a set of tires at the track, and then you can pratice or do whatever to your hearts content, but they have to be registered and taken from the trailer at the track i do believe

You don't have to buy 4 new tires to race in slm. You have to register your 4 tires you will be racing on the day of the race. Bodies are at 2750 for full ABC legal and 50 pound penalty for non ABC legal.

Hope that helps.

Guess Rick was misinformed, thought he told us we had to purchase 4 tires to enter the race. Guess we need to ask TAMS Boy next time!

I just spoke with Rick Day (SAS General Manager) to clarify the USRA Super Late Model (SLM) tire rule that has been questioned on this thread.

Yes, the USRA SLM entries do have to purchase and register four new tires for each race. The drivers must qualify and start the race on those four registered tires. Once the race has started, the driver may make a pit stop and change a maximum of two tires while the race is under caution.

We apologize for any miscommunication on this thread or during any verbal conversations. To minimize any confusion in the future, please direct your technical questions to Rick Day. He may be reached at the SAS office phone at 210-628-1499, on his cell phone at 210-827-4524, or by e-mail @ rick@sanantoniospeedway.com.

It's not only tires. First time racers pay the registration and everyone pays the applicable entry fee.

I don't think these costs are too high, but trying to attract some SAS Late Model teams for car count might be kind of far fetched.

The purses at FFs and MIS are $4,000 to win, and the car with the best finishes in both races gets a $1000 bonus. It is possible to win $9,000 over the two nights. Several of the Texas drivers have done pretty well.

For my teamand I to travel to SAS and run a USRA race it takes right around 3000.00. That is all expenses included. USRA made it alot harder to do when they went to 2 day shows and allowed teams to change tires, becuase now for me to be competive and feel like i am ready to win i am going to be at the track friday testing, and i am going to need to buy 2 more tires possibly 4 depending on tire wear or flats so that i can change my tires during the race. Ohh yeah i forgot now i have to take more team memebers to change those tires and get another hotel room for them so now my expenses went way up. The whole idea of USRA was to save the racers money i thought, seems to me it cost more to enter and be competive at a USRA event today than it was a few years ago.

J.C Umscheid

Archived