My Dodge

blueoval

I have a 2002 Dodge 1500.

Last night on my way home I lost all oil pressure and my engine and it began clicking slightly. I went and drained the oil today and the oil looked dark and a little thin. When I pulled the oil filter off there was no oil in it, it was prettty dry.

Any thoughts????

Please help!!!!

Guest Soaker

Sounds as though you were just low on oil. If its ok after you changed the oil and filter just keep your oil checked and dont worry about it. Although, you could just buy a Bowtie.

Guest bigfat

That's exactly what happened to me. Except the only reason was that I never changed the oil. In my case, the waxy build up that was 1 1/2 inces thick on the valve covers and the timing chain and every where else would break off and clog the pick up tube causing my oil pressure to drop every once in a while. Not pretty. After several weeks of dealing with that I took it in and had the motor replaced. Didn't cost me much more than the oil changes would have. Got a new motor at 77,000 miles for $891.

run some marvel mistory oil in it it will flush it out and clean the motor use that stuff for 35 years does wonders .cleaned a 300 thousand mile 305 motor that was so bad could not see the rockers .the man i helped could not believe what he saw we drained the motor of oil filled it up with marvel .ran it at idle only as long as it has some oil pressure it should be ok .do not rive the motor if you go that way . we ran it for two hours over 5 hour time . does not hurt to add it to your oil full time and you gas its better than gas additive .cleans the water and all fuel system then if you get it cleaned and the motor is normal use lucas oil treetment . allso seafoam brand is great for the fuel to. hope this helps .if not then pull the pan and ckeck all .

Here's what worked.

Drain the oil out. Pour 2 gallons of carberator cleaner in where the oil goes. Let it sit for at least one hour. Drain the clearner out of the pan. Fill with regular motor oil and watch the oil pressure rise and the motor clicking stop.

A great engine builder in Houston told me this and it worked! I guess I need to change my oil more often.

Here's what worked.

Drain the oil out. Pour 2 gallons of carberator cleaner in where the oil goes. Let it sit for at least one hour. Drain the clearner out of the pan. Fill with regular motor oil and watch the oil pressure rise and the motor clicking stop.

A great engine builder in Houston told me this and it worked! I guess I need to change my oil more often.

before the next oil chainge add marvel to it so that it will flush . or trans fluid cuz all you did was clear the screen .

Don't know about the new-fangled Dodges, but on some of the old big blocks, the pick-up screen was real close to the bottom of the pan, and if ya got after it, the pump would suck the garbage from the bottom of the pump and clog the screen. That one drove me nuts for about a month....

Oil pressure @ idle, Throttle on, no oil pressure....

All my years of wrenching what works best is changing your oil every 3000 miles faithfully. ;) And if you don't do that(not mentioning jodys name) you get to come see people like me B) .

pay me now pay me later .when i worked at our local deallership dodge that is i had one car come in with 30. thousand miles on it blown to hell .and that nuckelhead thought we should replace the motor for free .he never even replaced the oil and filter. he told me he just added oil if needed .he had an olds that had over a hundred thousand miles like that on it i told him not chainge it or else it would blow .well he tried to sue us .and lost . he sent his friends over and they tried to convince me to reconsider .didnt work .the nerve of some poeple

LoL I work at Freightliner and we get Truck drivers all the time like that... LoL The best is a guy had a brand new Truck with a Mercedes engine I dont know what they did to that poor thing but it only had 55,000 miles on it which is nothing on a rig, and that motor looked like it had been through hell... it had a hole in the side of the block 1 foot in diameter....

LoL I work at Freightliner and we get Truck drivers all the time like that... LoL The best is a guy had a brand new Truck with a Mercedes engine I dont know what they did to that poor thing but it only had 55,000 miles on it which is nothing on a rig, and that motor looked like it had been through hell... it had a hole in the side of the block 1 foot in diameter....

say i kind of lost track and smarts on the 5.9 cummins .i have a 1998 frieghtliner fed ex van .before i sold my route i had some local work done at a frieghtliner place .the pump went out .and it is governed . .so anyway they forgot to put the pump bracket back on and did not tell me .and one month later the pump came loose and of course broke the 1 fuel line and quit running . ever sense then it will not get up over 40 mph .and goes in to limp mode .blue smoke . it shuts down to idle just as it really gets into turbo boost . does that sound like it maybe out of time on the pump .all sensors are good[ crank; cam ;boost ]. they told me it was the wireing harness .which was bad but this happend at the same time the pump came loose .i did replace the harness .thow cuz it was bad . 250 thousand miles on it . if you have an ideal that will fix it .i can work on it and no prob lem with buying you lunch at your request .heck your wife and kids to . purty soon i was going to pull the pump and check it out .

in 1990 a man bought a brand new truck and it had a 5.9 .he drove it to houston that day and got up to rosenburg and lost all oil pressure .so he had to add oil to it it was out and desided to drive it back .at victoria he lost it agan and just kepted right on trucking .the next day i tore into it and found that the rear oil plug came out . you know that eng did not have one missed up part in it looked new . which it was .only had 400 miles .and most with out oil in it .and today he still has it with over 500 thousand miles and never so much as had a fart out of it . amazing .

Tans fluid is only good for cleaning chambers and [edited out by Nick Holt, 7/12/06]. What you do is unhook a vacume line that runs into the intake and stick it in a bottle of tranny fluid and rev the motor. It sucks the fluid through the cimbustion chambers and clean the [edited out by Nick Holt, 7/12/06] out of them,valves and top of pistons and ports too. It will smoke like hell while yor doin it but it is really good to do. Also good for breaking in a new motor. Or you can just use NOS hehe and that will clean some [edited out by Nick Holt, 7/12/06] up. :)

my uncle proved a point many years ago .this man was very smart in all kinds of mechanic.s i tried this and it works .but he worked in a deallership and made a bet he could drive a camero to new mexico on just trans fluid in the crank case and not hurt the motor . so they let him prove it and if he could pull it off they would give him the new car ..well thats rest of the story .he kept that car for many years . and it was documented .

say i kind of lost track and smarts on the 5.9 cummins .i have a 1998 frieghtliner fed ex van .before i sold my route i had some local work done at a frieghtliner place .the pump went out .and it is governed . .so anyway they forgot to put the pump bracket back on and did not tell me .and one month later the pump came loose and of course broke the 1 fuel line and quit running . ever sense then it will not get up over 40 mph .and goes in to limp mode .blue smoke . it shuts down to idle just as it really gets into turbo boost . does that sound like it maybe out of time on the pump .all sensors are good[ crank; cam ;boost ]. they told me it was the wireing harness .which was bad but this happend at the same time the pump came loose .i did replace the harness .thow cuz it was bad . 250 thousand miles on it . if you have an ideal that will fix it .i can work on it and no prob lem with buying you lunch at your request .heck your wife and kids to . purty soon i was going to pull the pump and check it out .

depending on if its the electronic 5.9 which is the isb or the older standard 5.9 it may have a sensor issue on the pump... I am in the parts department so my knowledge is limited to what I have picked up on from the techs... The ISB's electronic pumps had a change recently... went from 1 sensor that did pressure and temp to 2 or vise versus not sure which off top of my head... if you replaced the harness with the newer style unless it exactly matches what came off may be wrong harness and 1 sensor aint hooked up.... i also asked a guy here and its possible on the injector the broken line was hooked up too got damaged.... worse case he said a new pump would be needed, but checking injectors and for any air leaks getting into the fuel system is cheapist route to start with...

one other option they just told me was to hookup the laptop to it and see if its throwing any codes.... Its amazing what the ecm's can tell these techs as far as to were to begin trouble shooting... If you dont have access to a computer I think they charge 1 hour in the shop here to pull it up, but even though i work here i recomend taking it to cummins on Rittiman for any diagnostics and repairs... the parts cost more from there then from here but our shop sucks ars if you know what i mean!!! A couple of good techs but management over on that side is horrible...

it is elect but the pump was new .one month old when it came loose.it runs perfect untill it gets up to heavy turbo boost . and then stalls down and blows blue smoke .its allmost as if the crank sensor went bad but it has a new one .the wireing harness is the same that came off .i dont know if the pump got hurt when it came loose .or if it jumped timeing on it just have to look i suppose .the knuckleheads that worked on it new less than i did .now if i let off the throttle when it acts up it will after a few seconds start back to running good .untill i get back on it . i hope it isnt the pump cuz that was 1000 dallors .just for the pump ..so i owe you one for trying . thanks . mike mccain .cc tex .

Yeah, thats why I was also saying to get it computer diagnostic done.. If its electronic problem that computer will find it.... No prob I am happy to try and help, if you need another pump give me a call I can get you a good price on one....

Randy

Phone Room Parts Sales

210-277-4365 direct line

well when they put the computor on it the wireing was what they said it was that was after they put a bolt back on the pump .so it might have jumped time .but like i said to them that was just one miner prob that was there before the real trouble .came when that pump came loose .it was running great up till that second .thats why i was going to check the timing on it just have to get the time .i was delievering when this all happend at the same time . and sence that tec was leaving that place .he didnt give a dam .he knew he missed up and did everything he could to put it on something else i d say .they know i was a tec for dodge. and had worked on those cummins .so i knew they were trying to cover th ier blank.so i thruogh my question out to yah to see what yah thought .and you have some good info .and i have had some of that check ed . if i need anything for it i will give you a call i dont care for two of the companies. down here rip offs . the other place tried to charge me 3000 dallors for repares on this van but by the time i got through with them it came out to 800 dallors so you see what i am up aganst here .and you deal with them .

DAMN.... Yea I know dodge charges twice as much for 5.9 parts than what we do. I found that out when I worked at the Corpus Freightliner for a year.... Some guy brought in a hose he bought from dodge for 40$ we pulled off the mopar sticker and it had the cummins part# underneath that I was able to order for him for like 5$ so dodge is a rip-off for cummins parts... :)

the pump i bought was from cc frieghtliner .the computer was from french ellison . they are the ones who did the 3000 part . cc was the one that screwed the rest up .so you see my prob eventhow i still get parts from cc .but they will never work on it again .nore the other to .so it doesnot do me much good with eithers help .and there is alot more to these storys ..and cc does good work for the most part but not on mine at the time .i myself could have done the work on it but i had to keep the rout going fed ex ground is owner operator .so if something happend to your van .you had to send it in for repairs. and rent a van to keep the rout going .which the average down time on the van was a week. and so i would spend not only for the repairs .but rental fee.s to got very exspensive .hundreds of dallors . .and could not babby set my van ..or have the time to do it myself .that was the part i hated. i can work on it .

Archived