Dirt Track Warriors on CNN

texana55

Found the following on CNN.com, and there was a thread on this subject somewhere on WhoWon. Looks like 7pm and 10 pm Central on Saturday and Sunday both. One hour show.

Dirt track racing is the biggest sport you've never heard of. CNN's Michael Jones and CNN Senior Producer Ted Rubenstein fill you in. CNN Presents: "Dirt Track Warriors" airs Saturday and Sunday, July 1st and 2nd, at 8pm, 11pm, 2am Eastern Time.

-Monty

"dirt running through my veins"

www.ykc.com/mcchamber

I watched the program from start to finnish. It was very good in my opinion. They covered it as racing really is. It was not sugar coated or falsified in any way. Both the good and bad was seen and the true struggles of racing was documented. I give it a bravo rating!

Eldora Speedway is a old raceway. I have been fortunate to visit the place back when Earl was still the promoter and owner. When I walked into the grandstands area. I got goose bumps from just feeling the history of the place. Ledgends of racing have all been there at one time or another. The lives that have been changed forever and the lives that have been lost on that oval is a long listing. It is a bad fast track. The money won and lost at this track dates back many years. Eldora is a pioneer in many ways and did things that many promoters claimed could never be done. TV did not do justice in showing just how high the banking is and the speeds these cars do on this track.

I believe Tony Stewart will do well with this track. I feel he understands this old grand Daddy of a raceway and what it represents to racing. I am told that he will change little except updates to structures and a few other things. I recommend that you all visit this place. Especially one of the big events held at this track. Such as the Kings Royal, World 100 or some of the other events.

CNN deserves a big thanks for it's coverage. I am happy to see dirt track racing get some air time. Let's hope to see more of it in the future.

Amen to that TA. On that note, there's also one in our own back yard. The Devil's Bowl in Dallas has been in continuous operation as far as I know, as far back as I can remember. If you're ever in the Dallas area on a Saturday night, you owe it to yourself to go out there. The few times i've been up there, it has always been a heck of a show on the 1/2 mile dirt oval.

Quote;

"""Amen to that TA. On that note, there's also one in our own back yard. The Devil's Bowl in Dallas."""

Yes, I am very familiar with Devils Bowl Speedway. Devils Bowl Speedway was my very first track that I ever worked at as a track announcer when I moved to Texas. Lots of history and alot of great racing on a unusually shaped multi level racing surface. Nice place. And with a track owner/promoter that came out of the same mold as ole Earl Baltes did.

You said it all in your posting. I to recommend that race fans visit the place when ya get the chance.

Archived