Track Closed

HORSEPOWER

Montgomery Motor Speedway has closed.

As of Monday, April 17th, 2006, the Montgomery Motor Speedway will be officially closed for the season. All races remaining on the 2006 schedule have been canceled. The track is being leased for industrial (i.e., non-race related) purposes. ( Please note that this also means that the track will no longer be rented for racing purposes.)

MMS would like to thank our fans, drivers and sponsors for supporting the track over the last year. And best wishes to all of you in the 2006 season and beyond.

http://www.montgomeryspeedway.com/

That is an example of what can happen if we don't support our local tracks. The Hooters Pro Cup just had their race on March 25. For everyone involved, from owners, promoters, management, racers, to fans, we need to do what ever it takes to keep racing alive.

Hasn't someone been saying this for years!!!???

Quit bitchin' over stupid stuff and go race! When I raced, we had things we didn't agree with, like or think were right. Yet every weekend we loaded 'er up and raced. It will always be this way. You can't please 100% of people, it's impossible and unrealistic.

Life itself is about adapting to changes. Today is a new day, tomorrow starts a new week. God gives us a clean slate every morning. It is what we make of it!

Very disheartening to hear of yet another asphalt track closing. But the simple fact is that any business has to make money in order to survive.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe many of our Texas asphalt tracks have been making money either. Sure, there's plenty of people, places and things that we could be blaming, but that won't help when the bulldozers arrive. I want to race and not sit around the garage trying to analyze why there's a shopping mall where my race track used to be.

Nick Holt

Nick,

I said the EXACT same thing on here about a month ago, and it got deleted. Why?

I don't recall the post you are referring to, Budman. There have been numerous threads on TXSZ about common rules, the need for cooperation among all parties involved in stock car racing in Texas and similar topics.

I edit or delete posts that contain bashes, use profanity or, occasionally, will delete a post at the request of the site owner. Not sure what category your post would have fallen into into.

Nick Holt

Well, it contained neither bash nor profanity.................................................but hey, it doesn't really matter now ................ I just got back from the first race of the season at THR. Got to visit with a lot of fellow TXSZ members out there. Had a blast! Saw some good racing!

The race fans here in Montgomery are very upset about the closing of Montgomery Motor Speedway. I cannot express how I really feel or what I really think about Bill Manful because it is not very nice at all and would be deleated very quickly. Montgomery Speedway is my home track that I have supported ever since I was a kid and I am still in shock over this. The drivers, crews, sponsors, and the race fans here in Montgomery do not deserve anything like this................I will continue to support short track racing around this area by supporting other tracks such as South Alabama Speedway in OPP, Five Flags Speedway, Birmingham Int. Raceway, and any other tracks that I decide to go to...................................All of you race fans support your local short tracks every chance that you get. This is a great sport to be involved in that really gives us a chance to meet some really great people.

Very true MM. Snowball, MM, Mach 1, and myself (Llamadog or Vir) have become close friends through meeting at the races. 99.9 % of the drivers we talk are the nicest, friendliest people you ever want to meet. I especially love to talk to Gregg, Chris, and Bradley, but due to health problems, I have not been able to get to the pits lately. I strongly feel the fans and racers are one big family, different from any other sport.