Mike Sepich (SAS)

Guest The_Greek

Guest The_Greek

dear Mike,

i had responded to your major annoucement thread here in this forum, you never responded back to any of us, so im going to repost my suggestions for SAS, keep in mind lowering the prices of admission is a positive step in the right direction, i live in Corpus, and i might add that SAS is my favorite track, ive been attending races at SAS for the last 15 years, it would be very sad if SAS were to ever close down. i would like to suggest to you a couple of my of my ideas on building more fan base, i would like to see Romco run there more than 3 times a year, it used to be 5 times a year, for whatever reason its only 3, personally i would like to see them run there once a month, also i would love to see SAS host a Southern All Star race, and even a All Pro Race once a year. and hold special latemodel events, possibly some 200-250 lappers, lets get some good quality racing back to SAS. you guys have the best track take advantage of it.

and lastly dont know if it can be done or not, but the Texas Bigshot race should be ran at SAS not THR.

I know this was sent to Mike but I can tell you it would be very difficult to pay for a All Star or All Pro race since the Track will not be albe to charge pit fees or anything of that nature for those races. That means it would have to be made at the front gate. The reason why ROMCO is only at SAS for 3 times a year vs. 5 or more times is that attendance was acually doing down to where during the last year that they ran they wouldnt pack the stands as much as they do now. With them running 3 weeks it makes it more a must see event. Also Mike set up a sort of board consisting of track officials, sponsors, drivers, fans, ect. to get fresh ideas and hopefully more. The first meeting we had we discussed many of the things you stated above. Unfortunately some things take time and in many cases now-a-days a little bit of risk. Some of that risk falls on Ted Carlson. Mr. Sepich doesnt have much say in that regard. SAS needs to grow more from the inside out before I think we see another BigShot or All Pro or SAS race here.

Just to give you an idea on an All Pro race I believe they charge SAS $75k just to show up at the gate and stipulate that they cannot charge pit passes to the teams. Advertising aside you would need to probrobly invest 25k in advertising make it a 2 day thing Fri.-Sat. lets say on Fri in addition to Qualif. you might want a support race. Maybe something exciting like a 10k purse 3k to win TSRS race. or something to that effect now your up to 110k that you need before you pay for saftey if All Pro doesnt bring anything, pay for turning on the lights and other expenses that I dont have access too. Just to make it even we'll make it 125k total expenses. I forgot how many family you said you had but lets say you have yourself wife and 2 kids say 12 and under, figure that about a quarter of the fans in the stands will be in the 12-0 y/o range. Lets say the Front gate is $30 for adults and $5 for kids 12 and under. At Sas you can put 4500 in the stands butt to butt. A quarter of 4500 is roughly 1125 x $5 that is $5625 thats for kids on Sat. for Adults 3375 x 30 $101,250 $106k for Sat roughly.... Now if it is a 2 Day show Fri night Admission $15 Adults and 12 and under free for Qualifing and the Support Race. Since it is a Fri I would guess you would see 2k to 3k in the stands. Going on 3k 750 kids get in free. so that leaves 2250 paying customers @ $15 = $33750. Back Gate for TSRS drivers lets say $150 entry and one pit pass. All other pit passes $30 avg tsrs team has 3-4 people not including driver. Lets say 25 cars show up you get $2500 on registration and avg 4 pit passes @ $30 = 25 x $120 = $3k. Lets add this up. Fr night = w/ 2k fans $28k w/ 3k fans $39k Sat w/ 4.5k fans = $106k totals if you have 2k on Sat $135k just to make it even...or if you get 3k on Fri. $145k. Sounds like it is do able. But it takes a some risk to get the reward. Now this does not include variables such as insurance or paying employees or rain outs. But looking at it this way it would take alot of investment to make it happen... You never know Mike reads these forums he just might like the idea.

I think I burnt up my abacus......

Marc

I think if SAS got a date with one of NASCAR's elite touring division, it would actually help the local racing scene here and also bring in some new fans. With some TV and radio advertising, mentioning the words "NASCAR Racing", can gain some exposure, probably even attract some new sponsors. Don't forget about the sponsors, they put some money into it also. SAS need to use one of these billboards out on I-35N and some where on loop 410 and I-10 area to advertise. I'm to sure of the cost, but it's worth it. Track improvements are still needed of course, but let's take care of the fans and entertain them to a point that they will want to come again. They need a playground for the kids and Elmer.

I think a big race at SAS would really draw some cars and a big crowd in the stands. Look at the snowball, fans and drivers travel from all over the US to race and watch the races. This would also help the local racing because this kind of race gets plenty of media attention (example: Late Model Digest, Speed Channel, etc.). Just my .02, but then again to me theres nothing better than super latemodels at SAS.

Guest The_Greek

i agree there isnt anything like super latemodel racing at SAS, kindve sucks now that most cars use that dreaded awful muffler!!! but something needs to be done with Romco, 3 times a year is for the Birds!!!!!

Anybody remember the old Texas Classic races Joe Horne

used to do in the early to mid 80's ??

Right now I think this would be suited towards SAS Sportsman/

THR Street Stock cars. That race paid anywhere from 3000-5000

to win, I don't think in today's times that kind of purse could be paid

but that would be a nice type of race to have , maybe 1500.00 to win ?

Those 2 mentioned classes have decent car counts, be a good

chance for some of us "small-time" racers to enjoy the spotlight

for a couple of days. Any ideas ??

Archived