2006 USRA Rookie Truck Driver

racer44

hello my name is Mike Mogensen i will be running in the usar truck searies this year. i live about 25 miles northwest Houston and call my home track H M P ! Well at least not for now ! I been racing on dirt for about 5 years and enjoyed it veary much but just had and inch to see what the asphalt world was like befor i got out of racing. I will be at SA speedway the 11 andCC the12 hope to see some other truck to run with before the real thing in march. I will have about 200 laps of practice at houston but all single truck runs would like to som bumper to bumper running. by the way i heard some trucks run a 4.56 gear with the 305 motor at SA. what rpm should i see with that gear. thank Mike

hey mike, first welcome aboard, second a 4.56 is good for sa i expect turning around 6000rpm(if you want more i would suggest a 3.23) with it is in the ball park. i use a 3.08 in second which gives me a 4.65 overall (i need it with my bone stock junkyard 305 that was a handme down). i kinda liked the way it slowed me getting in without alot of brakes, but i kinda ran things a little different than everyone else i think. Shane could tell ya, he was really fast when everyone kept their trucks outa his cockpit. I would go to CC with ya but i wont be ready to practice for another two weeks. anyway good luck.

Rusty Mirth

R.O.Y 2006 #07

A 3.42 is a good gear, but your motor will need to be able to push around 6800rpm. If the motor cant push that, you will level off half way down the straight. You will be able to motor out of the turns better than a 4.56 and it will set the truck on entrance without alot of brake. A 4.56 will turn about 6300rpm. 4.56 is good for starts(start in second and shift to third) and alot less strain on your motor.

CCMS, if you have a stong motor you can run a 4.10, if not you need a 4.30.... I would take both and see what feels better. On the 4.30 if the truck isnt setup right, the tires will break loose, center out. The 07 and the 5 truck would be two good trucks(guys) to follow in practice to get a good line. Not sure who else is still running, but I know they are..

I would like to say 'Hi' to AJ, my fellow dirt track competitor. Man, this asphalt racing is going to be a huge adjustment from dirt. The meaning 'driving on the edge' has a whole new meaning to me now! See you in Kyle. Rusty, thanks for the good info. I will go with the 4.56 for my first time at San Antonio. I would think 6000-6300 should give me a good feel for the track. Arts22, thanks for your help too! I was hoping the 4.10 will work at Corpus but sounds like I will need a little more. I think the 4.10 will work at Kyle and Houston (if we get there this year!) Thank you all for your time to reply to my post.

USRA Truck 44

truck 44, a 4.56 is probably a wise choice for sa. I ran a 4.10 in cc last year but am going to try either a 3.73 or a 3.42 depending on how this new rubber works out, but i will be bringing my 4.10's with me. i run a 3.42 in kyle and turn right at 5900 and a 3.73 only gets me about 200 more rpm and a 4.10 was around 64 -6500 rpm. hope this helps.

A.J. whats up bud!

Hey Rusty...Mike is a good person ( I am sure he will grow out of this weird asphault racing phase) try not to corrupt him. Talk about a sportsman....you will have to ask him about the time he had such a big lead during a race he decided to pull over and give the other cars a chance to catch up...lol Good luck Mike...

Archived