First Post

Budman,

It is the dirt tack in Killeen.

Texas Thunder Speedway is a 1/4 mile semi-banked oval dirt track (I say its high banked). Races Every Saturday Night March through September! With Seven SUPER EXCITING classes of cars to entertain the entire family.

Featured classes include; IMCA Modified, IMCA Stock Cars, IMCA SportMods, Street Stocks, Mini Stocks, Jr Mini Stocks & Texas Twisters. Special Events designed especially for the kids as well as Powder Puff Races, Pit Crew Tire Contest and our all time crowd pleaser, the Demolition Derby.

Track Web site is http://www.texasthunder.com/

Some of the top I.M.C.A. Modified drivers in Texas come to Texas Thunder to try their luck. Names like Multi time track champion Keith White, also he was the first ever I.M.C.A. National Sports Mod champion. Ken Old, Hardy Henderson, P.J. Egbert, Trevor Egbert, G.W. Egbert and George Egbert. Bryan and Greg Killingsworth, Kenny Stone, Ben Kettemen, Elias Anderson, "Big Mike" McCarthy and many many more.

Also, some of the best stock car battles on the planet take place in the I-Stock class. This is probably my favorite class of cars racing weekly in Texas! Fast, good looking and exciting. You can usually throw a blanket over the top 5 on the white flag lap. And it ain't nose to tail, its side by side, bump'n and rubb'n, dirt flying, stand up and hollar, white knuckle racing!

Oh man, this is the place to be if you want to remember how racing was 20 years ago. Because it is still that way today, ya just got to know where to look. LOL

New for this year is the Texas Twister class. These are cars that race, NOT race cars. They are mid-size 4 or 6 cly FWD cars. Can't afford to race? Not anymore. The entire car can be claimed by ANYONE at ANY time, for $500. Knock the glass out, put in a roll hoop and window net and lets go racing. Don't even have to have a truck and trailer, as they can be left at the track. Look for a press release about these in the next couple of days.

Oh, and your wallet isn't going to be strained either. Adults $10, Kids 12-6 $3 and 5 and younger are FREE!

Low price, good food, awesome racing and <cough cough> the best pair of announcers anywhere. ;)

Check the Web site for the schedual, opening night is March 25. Gates open at 6:00 PM and the racing will start at 8:00 PM

Any more questions? Post them here or call Pat Wilson at 254-290-6262. And tell him Sarge sent ya!

Bill "Sarge" Masom

The Voice of the San Antonio Diablos

Texas Thunder Speeway Co-Announcer

Budman

Would he happen to be related to Bill or Paul White?

Yes, he is the brother of Paul, not sure about the exact relation of Bill. George White is their father, I believe.

And it is the Paul White of Temple Texas, the 2000 USAC silver Crown Champion, and sometimes NCTS driver.

Keith is every bit as good as Paul. In fact I have seen them both in Modifieds at Texas Thunder, and though Paul ain't slow, Keith is a bit faster.

Keith won the first ever I.M.C.A. Southern Sports Mod National Championship. I believe he also won the sports Mod Track Championships at both Heart of Texas Speedway in Waco, and and know he won it at Texas Thunder last year. He has three (?) track championships at Texas Thunder in the Modifieds. And he isn't racing against small fields or junk either. He and P. J. Egbert were Co-Track Modified Champions in 2003. That was the year P.J. won the I.M.C.A. National Rookie of the Year in Modifieds.

Come on up when THR isn't running. Once there, you will wonder why you hadn't come before.

And once again, tell em Sarge sent ya.

Bill "Sarge" Masom

The Voice of the San Antonio Diablos

Texas Thunder Speedway Co-Announcer

Thanks Sarge,

Saw a photo several months ago of Keith on some racing web sight. I thought at the time ............. hummmmm .................... seems to be a strong family resemblence, but didn't know for sure. Thanks for confirming this. Bill is Paul's father, so I guess it follows that Bill would also be Keith's father if they are brothers.

In the racing history section, there is a photo of Bill racing at Austin Speed-o-rama in 1963, in the car #2. See the thread "Who are these crazy characters?". There is also a close up pic of Bill later in that same thread. Wild Bill was probably the best known racer in these parts back in the '60s. He raced all over the place in Texas.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Yes, he is the brother of Paul, not sure about the exact relation of Bill. George White is their father, I believe.

Keith is Paul's younger brother, and "Wild" Bill White is their father. All are from the Temple area.

George White is from Ft Worth, and I don't know of any family tie. George and Paul used to be team-mates when both raced for Paul Cook Racing out of Mansfield, Texas., the team that Paul won the USAC title with. Years ago, Paul, George, and Bo Rawdon all raced for Cook and terrorized dirt tracks with some wicked fast V-6 Modifieds.

Bill White is legendary, whether asphalt or dirt. He was the Austin Speedorama late model champion in 1973, and I believe he drove for Frank Ferris at that time.

A name we don't hear enough is Bill's Brother, Ronnie White. He was every bit as good as Bill, but didn't travel as much. Bill is well known in the midwest area, as well as Texas.

If you ever get around Temple or Little River, you will want to stop by and see these guys. Bill owns Billl White Auto at the corner of Hwy 95 and 36 in Temple, and Ronnie is at Gunsmoke Motors on 95 in Little River.

Both love to talk racing, and you will hear amazing stories about racing in years past.

Archived