I NEED YOUR HELP

Budman

Papa

I agree with you about Lynn. He was back then and he helped me win a lot of races when I got started. He is my Father-in-law.

Bud,

When Jim was going thru re-hab, they asked him how he wanted his hands to be formed, so they formed them so he could hold a steering wheel. Talk about a dedicated racer.

Terry

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah Terry,

My hat's off to them for their charitable effort. As I once said on another thread, God bless them all, those that are still with us, and those that aren't.

An interesting little side note to this. Buddy Jerkins told me that while at BAMC, Jim would call him and say "please come get me out of this this place." So Buddy would go pick him up and they would go out and shoot a couple of games of pool and have a couple of beers, just to get him out of that hospital room for a while.

Are you thinking about Bob York?

He was an owner. Ran cars for several drivers. Last car was the Camaro at Pan Am that Wayne Rutland drove.

Knew York well, he lived about a mile from me.

Buddy,

You might be thinking of where some of the Caulfields lived, and it was in Schertz, between the Schertz Parkway exit, and the FM 3009 Exit. (Exits 174B and 175) There is a top soil place there now, but, at the time, there were 3 houses and a dirt floor garage that Bobby Caulfield's Aunt owned, and various family members lived in them.

Bob York lived on Wright Street in Schertz, right behind the Corbett School.

OK Tom, I just remember there were always one or two race cars around that garage you mentioned. They were always red and white #82s. I think maybe Dick Caulfield did drive them sometimes, but also I think a guy named Dave Hart also drove one of those cars. That's another couple of names of guys who might be in that picture.

Red and White 82s were the numbers York and Caulfield ran. Bobby ran some in the 80's, and painted his cars to resemble Yorks.

That garage is the one we talked about awhile back having a bunch of old stuff around it. Buchron tires, aluminum Buick brake drums, radius rods, and stuff like that.

Here's a recent photo of the famous A.J. Watson built Indy Roadster Jim Hurtubise drove in his rookie season of 1960 at Indy. This is a beautiful car. It even had all white leather interior. There have been many plastic and die cast metal models sold of this car over the years. Sorry about the rather "busy" background in this photo. It kind of detracts from the beauty of this car.

Jim actually set a new Indy track record in qualifying this car for the 500 in 1960, at 149+ mph, but because he qualified it on the last day, he ended up starting mid pack.

post-30-1139349139_thumb.jpg

Don,

Thanks. I think Thurman had already moved to Kansas City by '64. What's funny is that's the first time I've seen or heard his name mentioned by anyone other than me in nearly fifty years! It's just good to see there's someone other than me who remembers he ever raced around here! :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

I've been busy with the Legend, and I had intended to send copies of this photo to a couple of people who don't have internet access, but who may be able to help.

Fred Elbel (my uncle) could be in that photo. I'm going to send this photo to Wanda Elbel and see if she can help locate Fred, if he was there, and also help identify some of the others. My mother lives near Bill Watts, and I will get a photo to them and see if Bill can identify any of them.

As I mentioned before, Bill used to tell me stories about that race, and I seem to remember he said he won it.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived