Association

zoom

So is there a racing association that is compromised of fans/racers/car owners/sponsors that could lobby the powers that be to help bring about changes to Texas stock car racing. Not to force an owners hand at things necessarily, (maybe a little coercion :o ) but to help the owner/promoter see that there is a serious force about that is trying to preserve and improve the state of the sport. This association could then be seen as an ally that could be a great resource for the track owner/promoter. This association needs to have enough lead in their a__ to not be a pushover for the owner/promoter.

I know there is Fascar, but I don't know if the do anything but set up a point fund. I am sure someone will point out what they do. That is fine, because I honestly don't know. What are they set up for? Do they have any clout with the owners/promoters?

Thanks for listening

Yes, we have initiated an organization to support San Antonio Speedway. Although we really don't have a name yet, we have formed this organization to support SAS and its goals. And, no, we don't plan to use any coercion to make things happen.

This organization was formed with the cooperation of track management and its staff and officials. It is comprised of representatives from sponsors, drivers, FASCAR, officials, media, vendors, etc. We had our first meeting this past Tuesday, and I think we're headed in the right direction. We had a brainstorming session to recommend solutions for increased car and fan counts.

I'd also like to share a little bit more information about FASCAR. It does much more than setting up a point fund. FASCAR's mission is to provide a unified organization of race fans and race teams dedicated to improved community awareness and interest in stock car racing. In addition to coordinating the point fund, FASCAR also raises money through raffles, recycled ink cartridges, and sales of photos, cookbooks, calendars, etc. To increase community awareness, FASCAR regularly hosts car shows, etc.

The new organization will not replace FASCAR. Hopefully the new organization will act in an advisory role for track management, and FASCAR will continue to be one of the vehicles to act upon these ideas.

We've already proposed some of the ideas previously addressed on Texas Speed Zone. If you or any others would like to contribute your ideas or thoughts to the new committee, please send a private message to me.

Debbie

Cave,

Since Mike Sepich was at this first brainstorming meeting, the chances of at least some of our suggestions being adopted are fairly good!

And might I add that this meeting was entirely focused on suggestions, not complaints. The people at the meeting represented a wide variety of perspectives including drivers, track officials, sponsors, fans, a race photographer and TSZ (me).

Another of our members, DebWil, faciliated the brainstorming session and did a great job. Everyone's ideas were included, even mine!

Nick Holt

This whole new organzation is a great idea but I see a couple of ideas that need to be addressed right off the starting block. I know that this organization is for SAS but it appears that all the pavement tracks in the state are suffering. Brian and his staff at THR are having a BBQ as listed on another thread so it seems that we are all finally starting to work together to make racing better for everyone involved including those who have never seen racing live before.

Note: the following views are not those of Texas Speedzone or It's Memebers just mine!

Why not form an organization that brings or bridges the asphalt track together under some kind of unified banner. I know that SAS has nascar but that really only helps out the LM points. Why not get every one involved to make a unified set of rules for all the tracks to follow for its lower classes. I know every track wants to be different but this might just work. For Example why not have a common set of bomber, streetstock/sportsman, and maybe LM rules fo the pavement cars. That way the night that your class is off your team could travel to another track without all the hoopla of being an outsider. It adds more cars and it could/would brings more people in the seats from the friends and family of competitors that do not always race at a certain track. If all the tracks work together then maybe we can see an increase in the number of cars and compeditors like the dirt track do. Everyone seems to be working together lets really try to make it work for the love of the sport for all to enjoy once again.

WR5,

I think you're on to something there.. Like I've said before on here, Pan Am and Paramount Austin used to have the exact same rules.. One track ran Firday night and the other track ran Saturday night.. But with the touring series quite often a class has the night off and could do, as you suggested, run the other track that night.

There are lots of really good reasons for tracks to cooperate, but, of course, there are always a few negatives associated with it.. like a whole class could up and leave as a group to the other track if they got upset enough with a call or something... So, track operators are always a little suspicious when ideas like this get kicked around..

But in light of the general decline at both tracks, this idea makes more sense than ever. Thanks for your contribution WR5!

Nick Holt

So, track operators are always a little suspicious when ideas like this get kicked around..

Nick, though I do understand where you're coming from.....I really don't think this should be a major concern, with the ways things are going. I've long been a proponent of generalized rules. As it stands right now if either of the tracks along the 35/37 corridor rain out or are off, the best the racers can do is go WATCH another race. But it does happen, the two tracks in Waco have different Street and Pure Stock rules, just to keep their racers at one track. Both tracks have the same trouble with car count in these classes. Go figure! It's time for everyone to shelve the egos(in the Waco case) or whatever it is for the good of the sport.

Tracks running under the IMCA banner do quite well, largest racing association in the nation. Legal cars can go to any IMCA track in the USA, be legal, competitive and have a place to race if their local track rains out or is scheduled off.

That was an Example that I was looking for Reb. Thanks, So there is a second and a third.

Reb,

I'm all for rule-sharing at both THR and SAS (and BBS if it ever opens). I've been on both sides of the grandstands, so I've had a chance to see how track operators might view the idea. I was just sharing a concern that track operators might have with the concept, that's all.

I still don't smell nuttin.

Nick Holt

OK Debwill

this organization with representatives of the racers, sponsors, fans etc. was, I suppose, a By Invitation Only for this first meeting. Is this organization going to hold open meetings for those interested? Is there going to be an open membership body? If I hadn't asked the question, when would everyone of heard about it? Will this be a cooperative effort with the track management for the betterment of racing as a whole or is there a certain agenda at this time? What have the main thrusts of the discussion been to this point?

Just curious. I want racing to be huge success at SAS. I really want SAS to live up to it's full potential and be a major entertainment venue for south texas. I am glad that more people are exploring different ways to communicate ideas accross the spectrum of racing participants , ie. the BBQ/meeting at THR.

Say, how about a "Particpant Family Fun Night" at SAS where we can have a get together with BBQ in the pits? I volunteer to bring my appetite!

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Mark,

First of all, this organization was not a secret. We literally threw it together quickly for our first meeting. Although I initially contacted some key players to participate, it's certainly an organization I would like to see grow and hope to include anyone who wants to help. I had plans to announce it on TSZ, along with additional details, but you just beat me to it. So far, we've just had an initial brainstorming session, and we've been busy just working on the things we could fix easily and quickly. We have a long list of suggestions, and our short-term goal is to put some of those ideas in motion quickly. We haven't even addressed our long-term goals yet! We are very new.

Since you eat an elephant by taking one bite at a time, we are currently working on improving the program (see my comments in another thread). Mike and his staff are also working on some other suggestions, and I hope you will start seeing some changes soon.

In answer to one of your other questions, the organization is definitely functioning in cooperation with track management. Mike and several of his officials were at the initial meeting. With regard to your question about an "open meeting" format, we really haven't gone that far yet. I would hope that we could make that happen in the future so we can get more people involved.

Thanks for your interest and please let me know if you (or anyone else) personally want to be involved in making things happen at SAS.

Debbie

Archived