Bent Cars

see86go

for anybody unaware these are (were) stock oem frames...........it takes alot more to bend them than does it tube.

solid hits...thanx for the pictures see86go

Scott Mumme's car in flames in Turn 1

How about the protective suits on the guys fighing the fire in this picture?

I'm familiar, as I am the one kneeling down with the red shirt on. That is Dick Caulfield's blue Ford pickup acting as the firetruck. (The orange studebaker was down for the count at this time.)

It's not in this pic, but there is another extinguisher coming in from the right side of the car in another second or two.

And the extinguishers were about half the size of a nitrogen bottle, and damn near as heavy. A real pain to use.

Jerry Spencer "firewalled" his Nova on the concrete wall in SA

As I recall, he told me the steering universal came loose or broke to cause this one. That was about the hardest hit on the front wall as I ever saw.

Craig,

I remember that night Mr Elbel lost the wheel (didnt he brake an axel) and rolled on to his side, the picture doesnt do justice to amount of sparks that were coming off of the bottom of his car. It was a pretty wild ride for him. Im glad you are feeling better and posting again!! Did you notice that one of the signs in the back straight was for the Army? Where else could a young man go and make $307.20 cold hard cash a month?

Don

Don - That's right, he did break an axle. It was a pretty wild crash. He was probably 50 years old. It was sort of a freak thing, as most of the time when a person flips on pavement they either hit something or get help from another car. This looks more like some thing that would happen on dirt when a car bites into the track and goes over.

That wasn't the first time he flipped a car at PAS. He rolled the #20 Chevelle in 1971 and it slid right by all of us upside down. I remember Fred's wife, Wanda, was pretty hysterical when that one happened. She was always nervous about his racing. I had a photo of that flip as well, but I think that is one that was lost to water damage in a fire we had in 1996.

Craig

OK Tom, Here's a couple of questions for ya regarding the Mumme photo .......................

1. What year was it?

2. How old were you?

I'm gonna guess about '76, and I'd been 17 or 18 at the time.

This is the car I remember being called "Sneaky Snake"; you can see it on the hood. Scott's dad drove a wrecker at Pan Am and Hwy 16.

txtom

Is that HAIR sticking out from under that ball cap? And it looks long and dark.

Yep, that be dark hair, and I did wear it about shoulder length. Only problem with that is it is really curly at that length, and without a ball cap, or a healthy dose of brylcreem, it would stick out and go nuts. That it why I keep it short these days, easier to manage.

And, while it is mostly grey these days, at least I still have it. (Hint to some on this board.............. :D)

And Tom can actually get down on the ground and back up real fast back then.

Still can, Mark. Just seems easier to pull something when I do, though................ <_<

I was 5 at the time.. lol

Nick Holt

5 what? Damn sure wasn't years old! :)

Archived