PAS 1972

see86go

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jim

I would bet money you right about the camaro being Beans old car. Oh yes the memories have been coming back, some good ones and some well .........The other night I was trying to remember some of the old nick names like

Hubert "The Bean Bandit" Bean

"Doc" Wally Garcia

"Granpapy" Don Fowler

Jimmy "Fireball" Fingers

There was others I dare not mention. You guys remember any??

Don

The other night I was trying to remember some of the old nick names like

Hubert "The Bean Bandit" Bean

"Doc" Wally Garcia

"Granpapy" Don Fowler

Jimmy "Fireball" Fingers

There was others I dare not mention. You guys remember any??

How about:

Tex "The Poteet Pistol' Horn

"Wild" Bill White

And a guy in the hobby class, car #30, called "Sneaky Snake". First name was Scott or Scotty. His dad drove a wrecker at the track.

• 1 year later...
I think the kids liked the HUMMMMDINGER. I think it was a yellow #10.

That was Gary Banks of Austin in the Mazda sedan with a rotary engine.

There are a few other threads in this history section with stories and pictures of the car; one pic in particular

shows it upside down on fire on the backstretch of Pan American about 30 or so years ago.

I just remember how much different HUMMMMMDINGER sounded.

Gary had the exhaust running into what was basically a 30 gallon drum, like you get fluids in.

That was a big part of the sound, not to mention the way the rotary engines sounded when they ran anyway. Banks was a mechanic at an Austin Mazda dealer at that time.

When Pan Am closed, and he had no class to run the car in, he went against the bigger hobby class cars at Longhorn, and gave them a wall-eyed fit. He was giving up a lot of weight, but that engine would fly.

Those old rotary engines would flat run, but not from a standing start. You had to let them wind. I had one when I lived in Japan in the early 80's, and it would run all day above 7,000 rpm.

Take a look at this link, you will see a couple pics of Banks in a very scary situation. Fortunately, he was not hurt.

Banks Flip

Leroy Brooks in the 02 car was referred to as "The long, tall, skinny drink of water."

Your screen name is interesting, as 302 was Brook's number when he raced in West Texas. He shortened it to 02 due to the central Texas tracks not letting 3 digit numbers run.

How many on here know that, before Brooks started racing oval cars, he was a drag racer? One of his drag cars was an old Studebaker sedan.

302, Do you know what "Circleburner" was in relation to Leroy?

Not only did he have a drag car, if you recall, when he drove for Bill Ramey, in the Camaro "trans am", they called Leroy the "quiet one". That car had the 180 degree headers where the exhaust came out on the side of the car on the passenger door. The thing about Leroy being a drag racer was, he would evn take that car, and race it. I remember going to Houston to Myers Speedway and the races were rained out and they went drag racing. Who is circle burner?

Not only did he have a drag car, if you recall, when he drove for Bill Ramey, in the Camaro "trans am", they called Leroy the "quiet one". That car had the 180 degree headers where the exhaust came out on the side of the car on the passenger door. The thing about Leroy being a drag racer was, he would evn take that car, and race it. I remember going to Houston to Myers Speedway and the races were rained out and they went drag racing. Who is circle burner?

Bill Ramey and Leroy were related to each other. If I remember right, Bill was Leroy's Uncle.

Back in the 70's, when it seemed like everyone had a CB radio in their car or truck, Circleburner was Leroy's handle. I remember talking to him a lot on those radios, although it was a slow conversation.The only thing he did fast was drive.

Archived