PAS 1972

see86go

This is a photo of a Super Stock Trophy Dash, taken on a Sunday afternoon in 1972. It's amazing a Polariod photo has lasted this long. The #9 is Marvin Fillip, #50 Harold Oatman and the 3rd place car is Donald Oatman.

72dash.jpg

I'm guessing I have a couple hundred photos from the 70s at PAS, particularly from 72/73 on. Many, many more to come.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Craig,

Was wondering if you have seen the Alan Brown book entitled "History of America's Speedways".

In it, there is a pic of your Uncle Fred in a #20 roadster, taken in 1946 at the San Antonio Devils Bowl Speedway, which was located at Old Hwy 90 and Ackermann road.

Yes, I did see that photo. I was riding with some friends here in Ohio a few years ago, and they gave me a copy of the book (not knowing my uncle was in it). I turned to the Texas section and there he was. I sent a copy of the book to Fred, as he didn't know his photo was in it eiither.

Craig,

Your photos are great! The poloroid with dad and uncle Harold both in the same frame is rare, even though they raced together for so many years. I know the "old man" will like seeing that one. I hope to get my hands on some of his old pictures next time I see him.

Keepem comming.

Don

By the way Fred Elbel Jr. is my uncle have we met????

Don:

Thanks for the comments. I was 13 when I took the Polariod of your Dad. I do remember meeting you when we were kids. As I remember it, I think you may be a few years younger than I am.

I know I have a couple of photos of your dad from later years; when I get my hands on them I will post them.

Man, there are names and cars on this thread I didn't know I remembered.

Craig (or anyone) - One year Harold's Camaro was painted as Darryl's is painted above. Does anyone know if they are the same car?

Don - I worked for Harold for many years and made a couple of trips to your place around the time of these pics, so I remember you as a teen. Has your Dad told you about the trip in the Camaro on Braun Rd?

Bobby: I do remember Harold's orange Camaro, and I don't think it was the same car. I could be wrong about that - maybe someone else can help.

Here is another photo I just found of Todd Ford and crew celebrating a big win:

72ford.jpg

Bobby

I have heard about the trip down Braun Road, I dont remember all of the details but I am sure both of them had spent the evening enjoying a beverage or two. (or six) I dont think the camaro is the same one Godferson is driving. Our cousin Robert drove it until Harold gave up on the chevelle and started driving it again.

Don

Don - Yes, you are correctly imagining the build up. It was about 9:30 or 10 PM, and there had been quite a lot of "friendly" "discussion" about whose car was faster, who was the better driver, etc. They were only gone for four or five minutes, but to me imagining all the tickets that could be written against the driver, passenger, and car, it seemed like an eternity. I am still surprised they were able to pull it off!

Archived