How long has it been?

Budman

Budman, here's another Schneider decal on Willis Ragdale's altered, named Raunchy Roadster. He was from Houston. Augie H. did the motor work on Willis' roadster. Saw Willis race this car many times as Austin Raceway Park. He raced it all over the state (think he held a national record at one time - car was almost unbeatable). It had an injected Chevy with torque flight transmission. I think in the late 60s or early 70s Butch Lake drove this car some.

post-30-1136338838_thumb.jpg

Rodlea, we've mentioned your Galaxy on this thread. Thought I'd mention my favorite from that era ...................... the '64 Merc Marauder. Wish I actually had one, but don't.

I came across this one for sale the other day on the net. Pretty cool although I'm not real crazy about the "mukledy dune" color. It was advertised as in excellent condition with 36k miles, white leather interior, 390 w/tri-pac and 4 spd manual trans. I snagged the photo off the ad.

post-30-1136347945_thumb.jpg

old austin raceway park,thats it budman.Late 70's the track was still there but grown up and we'd go out and cut the weeds and sweep the track and then have a couple $$$$ grudge races and a few fisty cuffs out there at nite and we'd park on the old return road behind the tall weedsand the sheriffs department would come in the old entrance and we'd drive out the back way and they would hammer all the youngsters who where watching cause they didnt know our back way out.We had it so the sheirriffs could only head in one way to the starting line and whoever was racing would book it down the track and hit hiway 1325 and be gone.Those youngsters were good decoys, I have to say, and they didnt even know it .

Shame, shame, shame on you Tommy. The crazy days of youth ..................... and you could get away with a lot more then than young folks can now. Boggles the mind some of the s#1t we got away with back then. Things my own kids don't even know about, cuz I wont dare tell 'em..................well, maybe some day, since their grown now. ;):D

got that right budman,thing about it,when we would sit in the parking lots waiting for the hour for the races to go down,the youngsters would hang close by, cause they knew when the horsepower was in the lot,something was going down and they wanted to watch and one would get the nerve to ask if we were going to race and we would tell em Hell Yes we going to race,you and your friends coming to watch,you see us crank up ,follow us.They would,not knowing it was going to be the most expensive race they ever watched when they paid the fines and we got off free.

• 7 years later...

we had lots of racing out there some victoms were Manny, Junior Marshall, Benny Marshall, Chuck Bradshaw, Edd Becker,

Steve Pfunter, We mostly ran a 1968 red Camaro Lp #gettem I MISS THOSE DAYS.

Archived