SOMETIMES THE BEST THINGS ARE FREE

Budman

A couple of years ago I was visiting at my sister's home.  We were sitting around talking in her den.  Somehow the subject of my interest in auto racing came up.  Suddenly he stood up and said "OH, I've got something I've been meaning to give you for years.  She left the room, then came back in and handed me a little slip of paper.  Imagine my surprise when I took it and looked down at it.  She had had this autograph for over 55 years.

IMG_0834 (4).JPG

Edited by Budman

Yep H/T.  You know me …….. There is always more to the story.  My sister got the autograph back in the mid 50's when she was a teenager.  I was just a little kid back then..  You see, Jud's older brother and family were our next door neighbors.  Jud would frequently stop by there to visit.  He liked to laugh, kid and tease us kids.  We thought he was really funny.  I remember him pretty much as he was described in the Robin Miller piece above as having one of those larger than life, John Wayne type  personalities. 

• 1 year later...

A couple of years ago a cousin of mine stopped by the house to visit.  We sat down in our den talking about this, that and another, when he stood up and said "Oh, I brought you something. It's out in the car. Let me get it." He went out front to his car and came back with a racing jacket and handed it to me. I took it, unfolded it and was absolutely astounded.  I said "Good lord, you must have paid a fortune for this!"  He laughed and replied "No I didn't. I found it at a garage sale in Georgetown and thought about you when I saw it. I only paid a few bucks for it."  I tried to pay him something for it but he absolutely refused. The jacket is 100% leather.  Take a look.

IMG_0848 (1).JPG

That's budman .. he looks too young ..I THINK he is an imposter … sorry  my bad the jacket made bud look good . .. waiting on my neighbor . she is suppose to find some programs from cc speedway back in the 60s up into the 70.s her husband passed on a couple of moths ago . we had many talks about the early years  when he brought one program out . 1971 .terry labonte first season .. so many names of racers from days gone by and a few still around listed . many are well known ..I send some to nick