This was shocking to me

arob

Not to me .  do you remember when sterling marlin  won the 500 s ..in the yellow car number 4 I think ..the exhaust  was the trick in his car .innovation ....I was appalled to know that every team can now see where each driver lets off and gets back on the gas looking at a screen ...I call that bs that just told me where nascar is heading ..we watch our local drivers to learn how they let off where they let off how they throttle through a turn and can then try it but we can not know just when the on and off starts so that is just an ideal . ...

23 hours ago, arob said:

No way for people to know that ahead of time, for one.

NA$CAR has done an excellent job at alienating their loyal base, (there's a shitload of reasons,) and most have walked away......

I thought it was a great Demo Derby......but race, meh!....LOL

• 3 weeks later...

The problem with NASCAR is people like all of you. Times have changed and things have evolved. I think the problem is there is so much technology involved with auto racing now that the common fan can't relate to it because they simply do not understand. If you have an interest in engineering and technology then NASCAR is very intriguing.

I think the problem is not all of you .wrong with the technology part of this statement . most fans of racing don't care about how the car is built .they sure don't come back into our pits asking hey what is that is that your secret . they want to see racing at its best no dog and pony show   they love it when we put on a show they don't care if my car meets the rules they don't know em anyway  they don't ask where,s the flux capacitor  located   . I don't watch nascar cuz they have digital dashes ..the dog and pony show it has become from its roots lost me ..cookie cutter tracks the disconnect from its fans the blue coller working man the cost to go to a race has gotten so high it leaves out the blue coller . and not to mention technology has been in racing from the very start of an automobiles beginning, me I like the word innovative  . you know its fun to beat a technologized car with our blue coller car at times . the one thing about racing is over time it has to evolve back towards its root, You see it on the local level at most any local track . nascar has going to have to go back to its roots to survive .....

I too find the technology interesting, especially the suspension tech. But as a show, I lost interest long ago. 

And even the suspension tech has lost a lot of its appeal since most of it is based on how to cheat without getting caught.  Shock technology has become the sole domain of a few innovators who charge an exorbitant amount for what should be a $99 part. And data acquisition has taken nearly all the guesswork out of the equation.  Like always, the team with the most money to burn wins. Drivers are pretty much generic and play an ever diminishing role.

What DriverX posted is a different way of saying NASCAR stuck their thumb in the eye of their base. Some would call that the lower middle class, tobacco spittin group. The elites sneered at NASCAR fans as low educated Bubba Ray type folks. Wasn't altogether true but those folks are the ones that drove NASCAR to the top. Once they got there those folks were abandoned for the new high dollar 100,000 seat cookie cutter tracks all over the USA and a more affluent corporate type fan because corporate America was interested in NASCAR at that time.As time went on the on track product suffered and everyone started losing interest. Now that the shine has rubbed off and that crowd has moved on to something else NASCAR can't get their old base back. Lowes leaving is another bad sign. What they could do I don't know other than it has to be something different than what they have been doing. 

Archived