MUST READ! Drivers and Crew

Drivers and Crew,

I know must of us have been driving cars for years, However sometimes we need to be reminded of what truly matters. Nothing matters at the end of the day other than being able to go home. With this said I want to go over several items that make sure everyone goes home safe and in one piece.

1. The most important item: Think safety in everything you do. If you approach every task with safety in mind you will be better off. Ask yourself how can I do this safely?

2. Check your fire suit for age, rips and overall condition. In a flash fire this will give you the time it takes to let a fire crew get to you.

3. Check your belts for age and condition.

4. Check your seat for proper mounting and tightness.

5. Use some type of neck restraint. (HANS, Full containment seat, Neck brace)

6. Never go under a car that is not on jack stands.

7. Keep a fire extinguisher in your pit area.

8. Use some type of wheel chocks. This can keep a car from running over you and/or a fan.

9. Never take off a boiling radiator cap.

10. Keep a small first aid kit in your trailer.

11. Always use a flapper valve in your fuel tank (or another safety system)

12. Never run fuel lines inside of cab.

13. See number 1.

14. Check your helmet for cracks and wear.

15. Never wear polyester while working on a race car.

I know there are many other things that can help reduce risk. If you want comment below with any other item you can think of. This may save you, a family member or fan from getting hurt.

Thank you,

Ken Hobbs

ihope that lady is ok and not to serious ... NOW with that said just right after that deal with her .I almost joined her .a rule should be in place that all four wheelers golf carts and such should be parked in such a manner as to not be able to roll down the banking .or if parked straight upwards never to be left alone always someone sitting on it or in some type of control ..... one very large four wheeler parked right behind Sandoval goff cart at an downward angle with the right front tire turned into the left rear tire of the cart to help hold the wheeler from rolling down the banking .that worked till lisa had to go out on the track to help her husband during driver introduction .she moved forward and realized something was amiss .that four wheeler took off down the bank picking up a lot of speed in ten feet or less and had she not seen that I would have been in very bad shape I pride myself in being alert I just turned to check to see if our emod was in tech just a couple of seconds not looking up the hill she screamed watch out and I jumped back in the nick of time a spit second longer I would not be typing here it hit my arm as it went by I got lucky very lucky thanks to lisa . lucky another cart was parked the right way and got nailed by the four wheel just two feet away and from where I was in between both hard hit .thank god that cart was there cuz the next stop would have been in the tech area where many were standing .. and I don't want to think what would have happened ..you don't think till later on just how close I came to have many broken bones or worst killed it would have pinned me right across my mid section ..I have nine lives and must have earned a 10th one ..that four wheeler had to weigh 600 pounds or more large bike . now I will shut up and hope you all took the time to read my post when most don't .. ps I have a mini bike and I try to park it where it cant hit someone if it falls and I try to stay with it or I am always checking it and folks get to close to it I move it .though maybe it isn't parked perfect so I will not leave it again when upon the bank ..

Since the subject of safety came up. Is there any way we can at least keep the dust down on the straights. It's an eerie feeling when you know there is 15 cars in front of you but you can only see 2.

Yes please. not fun back there hoping everyone stayed straight and we did...

Yes we understand the dust issue. You have to understand that it is not a exact science. Give you an example you may remember a few weeks ago we over watered and every car was covered with mud at the end of the Hot lap session. That week we used approx 10 loads of water or 20,000 gallons. The last week we ran we used 4 loads on Thursday, 4 loads on Friday and 12 loads on Saturday. However by the middle of the features we still had dust. My point is, its just not do it exactly the same each week and get the same race track. We try to adjust water to fit the conditions, However a cloud sitting over the speedway for hours or the wind have a big affect. The real issue is heat. When the temperature is 90 degrees plus it is hard to keep moisture in the track.

I will also mention that I had another track text me just yesterday asking what we did for dust as they to struggle with this issue. They are trying different ideas to solve this issue as well.

Please be assured we always are working on ways to improve. We have even looked into Calcium chloride, Lyme and other additives. However each has a draw back. Example the Calcium Chloride works well but it is corrosive. It will breakdown bolts and bodies causing a bigger safety issue.

We will keep working on it.

Ken Hobbs

The Dirt can be really predictable honestly, some food for thought water 5 to 6 days a week, always water after dark except Saturday obviously, add soap to the water..cheap laundry soap a couple bags per load, if the track is packed extremely hard farm it up and water it heavy to get moisture down deep. Thursday's and Friday's water the track then use the spike aeriator on the track for an hour or so then water it again, water from infield to wall, on Saturday start early with 4 loads then constantly monitor the moisture adding as needed......a lot of work but can be done.

where most of the dust was coming from was near the wall and way down low .... I noticed something the other night .there is a burm building up under the flagman area on down the wall .that I saw one car hit and climbed the wall .that isn't safe and that is where it looks like the main dust problem is coming from ........this last weekend the track turned out wonderful other than that area where the dust is coming from ...so give the track a thumbs up for their effort is solving the problems ..sure glad I don't have that job .

Well I give the track credit for trying to work in the top half of the track. I have noticed this year everyone is trying to get as low as they can and no one runs the middle or high.Never used to be that way.Used to be able to go two or three wide without hitting anyone.Now it seems to pass you have to go lower than the guy in front of you and move him/her out of the way.I would consider what Owen said . The infield to wall thing sounds good.I know its hard because of not only the sun here but the wind has been abnormally high this year.

track cant afford to have most of the racing surface brought into the pits, then to everyones shop or home and then have to rebuild the surface from one race week to the next with that much less dirt.

talking about safety, I see many drivers not wearing gloves. In the case of a flash fire or worse, your hands are the number one thing you need to get yourself out, undoing belts, window net etc .All things made much more difficult if not impossible if your hands are burning. It is my belief fire proof gloves should be mandatory.

Archived