need help

postell69

i run a bomber at sts at 4000 car would act like it loses power so from advice from some friends i changed the module,and coil, fuel pump,cam is pretty new but checked it anyway now the car does it at 5000-5100 anybody elese have any suggestions thank you

Check all your rubber hoses between your tank & fuel pump, it may be collapsing & starving for fuel. Check any filters you may have & the pickup in the tank. I've spent a lot of time chasing ignition problems when fuel was the real problem. Keep sections of rubber hose as short as possible. Hope this helps.

Check all your rubber hoses between your tank & fuel pump, it may be collapsing & starving for fuel. Check any filters you may have & the pickup in the tank. I've spent a lot of time chasing ignition problems when fuel was the real problem. Keep sections of rubber hose as short as possible. Hope this helps.

thanks i will check that i replaced the hose from metal line to fuel pump when i changed fuel pump the hose seemed alittle weak but havent noticed the one from tank foward the fuel line runs from the bottom of tank to a in line filter to steel line in frame to rubber to fuel pump

allright changed fuel pump vented fuel cap more, changed coil,module,checked timing,replaced fuel lines,but now its poping at 4800 still dont know what do

help,help+

allright changed fuel pump vented fuel cap more, changed coil,module,checked timing,replaced fuel lines,but now its poping at 4800 still dont know what do

help,help+

give me a call so i can get some more info and maybe we can get it figured out.

Bill 972-742-7469 cell anytime

ALRIGHT THIS IS WHAT I FOUND TODAY 4 OUT OF 8 SPARKPLUGS WERE GAP AT .O5O INSTEAD OF .045 PUT NEW PLUGS IN AT THE RIGHT GAP FOUND TWO SPARK PLUG WIRES NOT IN BEST OF SHAPE REPLACED THOSE FOUN THE FITTING FROM FUEL PUMP TO THE CARB WAS LEAKING FUEL TRIED TO TIGHTEN TO FIND OUT ITS STRIPPED OUT NOW NEED ANOTHER CARB OR ANY ADVICE ON FIXING IT VALVE SPRINGS ARE NEW ONLY SIX RACES ON THEM THATS WHAT I FOUND TODAY DONT KNOW IF ANY OF THOSE THING COULD CAUSE THE PROBLEM BUT THEY NEEDED FIXED ANY WAY SO THANK Y'ALL FOR ADVICE KEEP IT COMING WILL FIQURE IT OUT SOMETIME

i'd also buy a new fuel bowl instead of a whole new carb......i have seen a stripped fitting fixed with jb weld but i dont know how long it lasted

been trying to get ahold of l&l but no answer hope the sick brother is allright

i'd also buy a new fuel bowl instead of a whole new carb......i have seen a stripped fitting fixed with jb weld but i dont know how long it lasted

you could fix it with jb weld and it would last as long as the rest of the carb but once it sets up its done and it aint coming apart..not really the prefered way but it will work as long as it doesnt get inside the carb before it sets

i still say the distributor is the problem..even if the springs and weights are still in place they may be about to fly apart..best thing you could do would be to remove the weights and springs advance it about 1/2 way and weld it in place it will make it a bit harder to start but gets rid of the fly apart weights and springs

sounds like this is a hei distributor???? check the wires from the pick up coil to the module. many times they get brittle and when the vacuum advance moves the plate it aloows those wores to open and close..since the vacuum advance works on throttle position it moves the plate as you accelorate or decellorate, and as rpms fall from the misfire..it was a bad problem in the early 80s on regular vehicles

hope that helps

just wanted to say thanks for all the info and what i did was changed dist and had carb rebuilt so i guess i will see what happens this weekend at sts if this doesnt fix it then i guess i will put another set of valve springs on but thank all of you again

just wanted to say thanks for all the info and what i did was changed dist and had carb rebuilt so i guess i will see what happens this weekend at sts if this doesnt fix it then i guess i will put another set of valve springs on but thank all of you again

if you have to go with valve' springs get the old ones tested first ..i thought you said they were new ..tho that sometimes dont mean much

if you have to go with valve' springs get the old ones tested first ..i thought you said they were new ..tho that sometimes dont mean much

they have about 5 races on them

• 2 months later...

The first thing I would do is barrow a carb from a car that is not having problems and bolt it on. If the problem does go away then you can began checking one thing at a time of the things mentioned above. My experience has been almost always carb issues.

The first thing I would do is barrow a carb from a car that is not having problems and bolt it on. If the problem does go away then you can began checking one thing at a time of the things mentioned above. My experience has been almost always carb issues.

found the prob i changed dist and ground wire on frame also ran ground wire from dist to neg side of battery help out alot

Archived